SAU Community

Return Flow Intercooler Vs Regular Front Mount Intercooler Question

yoshiii335

Cutting holes is pretty stupid considering it's an instant defect in most states. There are a few ways to get the piping through without hacking holes.

Most of the 33/34 setups I do have return flow coolers, with stock piping in the engine bay. None have been held back much, infact a few have impressed me with their results. If you are trying for dyno queen status it may help a few KW, but otherwise more boost will force more airflow through.

I had similar conversations with the Evo crowd, Plasmaman popped up a few times, but I managed my 300awkw goal on the factory airbox and cooler for a full stealth look, without wasting coin on parts I didn't need. It may make 10 or 20kw more with an expensive cooler kit, but that isn't value for money to me. I guess it depends who you are trying to impress with your mods...

• Like 2

Cutting holes is pretty stupid considering it's an instant defect in most states. There are a few ways to get the piping through without hacking holes.

Most of the 33/34 setups I do have return flow coolers, with stock piping in the engine bay. None have been held back much, infact a few have impressed me with their results. If you are trying for dyno queen status it may help a few KW, but otherwise more boost will force more airflow through.

I had similar conversations with the Evo crowd, Plasmaman popped up a few times, but I managed my 300awkw goal on the factory airbox and cooler for a full stealth look, without wasting coin on parts I didn't need. It may make 10 or 20kw more with an expensive cooler kit, but that isn't value for money to me. I guess it depends who you are trying to impress with your mods...

This is why I'm so conflicted, Stao said my struggle to get anymore than 18psi or sustain that (TBH it struggles to even make that) is because of pressure drop in the cooler.... I'm not sure what the actual issue is now. With that being said the tuner said the waste gate actuator isn't very good either. Open to opinion, PM me if you can help/provide insight

I've seen the turbo make towards 30PSI IIRC but I'm struggling to hold 18PSI, Stao stated that the issue is the intercooler pressure drop but I've got a mate with a 3076 and he is happily running 20PSI on the same cooler. Maybe some characteristic difference being different turbos but I would have thought they should both see the same pressure loss.

Tuner said the actuator is a contributing factor, he struggled to get it to hold 18PSI even using my boost controller.

This is why I'm so conflicted, Stao said my struggle to get anymore than 18psi or sustain that (TBH it struggles to even make that) is because of pressure drop in the cooler.... I'm not sure what the actual issue is now. With that being said the tuner said the waste gate actuator isn't very good either. Open to opinion, PM me if you can help/provide insight

I'm running a 2013 Hypergear ATR43S22 and a Trust turnflow (vertical flow) intercooler, 275rwkw @ 20psi on PULP controlled by a Blitz D-SBC.

I have about 4mm preload on the actuator arm from memory, set by the master himself (Stao).

Here's a photo of the Trust intercooler, the end tanks are top and bottom as opposed to the sides as in most return flow coolers.

It's still got a sharp 90 degree bend on the top side to clear the chassis rail, may cause some restriction:

13994336254_b0636c4c23.jpg

EDIT: More photos of the installation here: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/348655-r34-gtt-front-mount-intercooler-installation/?p=7265769

Edited by V28VX37

• 7 months later...

Looks very similar to my blitz return flow. 
I guess the way the end tank makes the 90 degree bend is different.

Link might not work as it's from my FB but i'll chuck it in just incase.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12654460_10153445823391483_8868087888444606538_n.jpg?oh=7abb373099ab59cf6e03d7841d5249cc&oe=585CF425

From what I have heard is people seem to think it's just the core of the blitz that is shit.

I'll know in a few weeks if it's really that bad when mine goes in for a tune.

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

best to run an IAT after the FMIC and see if it's cooling effectively 

Sounds like a pain, at that point on the dyno it will be disappointing if not making neck braking torque etc... i have my FMIC from other skyline that proved easy results so maybe i'll just put that on and make the hole for it, just extra work to rule out shitty intercooler i guess...

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Girts said:

Is anyone making 300kw and over on the Blitz return flow?

+1 - 320 odd on E85

Been tracking racing my R33 for 7+ years with that set up no problems.

Everyone has an opinion on these coolers but the core is rated up to 500HP by the manufacturer.

E85 really helps keep all temps down... It was easily the best mod I ever did for my RB25

• Like 1

+1 - 320 odd on E85
Been tracking racing my R33 for 7+ years with that set up no problems.
Everyone has an opinion on these coolers but the core is rated up to 500HP by the manufacturer.
E85 really helps keep all temps down... It was easily the best mod I ever did for my RB25
Wow not bad at all! Built motor?

8 hours ago, Girts said:

How many kms do you get to a tank?

It's a track-only car, and not registered. A typical event would be 40 full noise laps of Mallala, plus 8 or so slower outlaps - maybe 120kms total. We would use around 100 - 110 litres of E85, so about 65km to a tank? We didn't build it for economy.

• Like 1

My car makes 312rwkw on e85. Track economy is similar to geedog. On the street it does just under 300km for a 65lt tank, non highway driving.

On the weekend i drove 120km + each way to the track, did 25-30 laps of phillip island. Around 420km all up. Used around 145lt of the good stuff.

On 12/26/2015 at 5:32 PM, V28VX37 said:

I'm running a 2013 Hypergear ATR43S22 and a Trust turnflow (vertical flow) intercooler, 275rwkw @ 20psi on PULP controlled by a Blitz D-SBC.

I have about 4mm preload on the actuator arm from memory, set by the master himself (Stao).

Here's a photo of the Trust intercooler, the end tanks are top and bottom as opposed to the sides as in most return flow coolers.

It's still got a sharp 90 degree bend on the top side to clear the chassis rail, may cause some restriction:

13994336254_b0636c4c23.jpg

EDIT: More photos of the installation here: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/348655-r34-gtt-front-mount-intercooler-installation/?p=7265769

A quick update for anyone playing at home – this exact setup plus a larger fuel pump made 318rwkw when retuned for E85 in early 2018. So the Trust turnflow definitely goes beyond 300kw.

Dyno sheet: https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/55845-rb25-turbo-upgrade-all-dyno-results/?do=findComment&comment=7866850

The car ran smoother on E85 compared to PULP but the fuel uneconomy was atrocious – about 20L/100km on average for the less than 1,000km I drove it for before selling. Still not quite the ~35 l/100km Bill posted above though :) 

It's not so much the FMIC can go above said power levels, it's more so you need to look at how effective it is at cooling the charged air and how much it can flow. Looking at HP ratings manufacturers randomly put on them is trivial. 

Standard fuels have much less knock resistance than say E85 or PULP w/ water meth. Hence will knock much easier, running E85 your intake air can be close to 100 degrees without you running into any issues where as if you were just on 98RON you'll run into knock, etc. 

• Like 1