SAU Community

Return Flow Intercooler Vs Regular Front Mount Intercooler Question

yoshiii335

17 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

It's not so much the FMIC can go above said power levels, it's more so you need to look at how effective it is at cooling the charged air and how much it can flow. Looking at HP ratings manufacturers randomly put on them is trivial. 

Standard fuels have much less knock resistance than say E85 or PULP w/ water meth. Hence will knock much easier, running E85 your intake air can be close to 100 degrees without you running into any issues where as if you were just on 98RON you'll run into knock, etc. 

Almost as trivial as bolting any fmic to the front of a skyline and just expecting it to be efficient. My cooler is fully ducted and also performed well on PULP. A bigger, better fmic will make up for the fact you have poor air flow through the cooler like the "swinging in the breeze" fmic installations most skylines have. 

7 minutes ago, Checkbuzz said:

Almost as trivial as bolting any fmic to the front of a skyline and just expecting it to be efficient. My cooler is fully ducted and also performed well on PULP. A bigger, better fmic will make up for the fact you have poor air flow through the cooler like the "swinging in the breeze" fmic installations most skylines have. 

What are you IATs like on a 3rd or 4th gear pull on a dyno or road? Without data it's just an opinion.

(You nearly sound defensive)

Most return flow cores have quite a bit of pressure drop, I've witness this on a car I tuned before which had a boost source nipple on the charge pipe from the turbo (from aftermarket pipe work) and one tapped into the post cooler side (used for his EBC). There would always be about a 2~3 PSI difference consistently.

Yeah of course it's just my opinion. Just lke you have yours. I'm not disputing anything that you've said.

I'm also not saying it's the best solution or what I'd chose if i was spending the money again now. I wasn't even dreaming of 300rwkw when i purchased it!

However it works reliably for my set up and power level so it can work for others too.