SAU Community

Wax Or Sealant?

Hmmm applying a sealant over a wax is the exact opposite of what you are meant to do.....

With stacking, you always put the most durable product as your base and least durable as your top. Sealants also require a squeaky clean surface to bond to, this is why you are meant to always do an IPA wipe down of the surface before applying. So having a sealant try to bond to a Carnauba, Montan or Beeswax based wax normally doesn't go to well.

I personally haven't played with the Zaino stuff (but I am aware of their range) and the ZCS is meant to be the same as what Nanolex Spray Sealant is which I have plenty of experience in.

Very strange...

To get technical Modesta is a coating, not a sealant :)

Modesta is the same patented Japanese technology as what we do under the Gyeon range. Extremely good stuff that lasts for years.

This is my write up on the Gyeon Mohs + system but basically applies the same to Modesta BC-03 :) I've been thinking of offering Modesta as well just in case some people prefer one over the other.

www.attention-to-detail.com.au/what-are-gyeon-quartz-cloth-coatings

I believe so depending on what you want :)

It depends what is important to you I guess. The main benefit is the scratch resistance since that can't be reproduced with anything else. So in black cars swirl marks are always going to happen unless you are extremely careful with how you wash your car (most of the general public aren't but obviously on a car enthusiast forum like this a large majority are fussy about their car). The added hardness from the coating makes swirl marks nearly a thing of the past as long as you are a little bit smart with washing.

For a person that absolutely loves detailing cars and wants to be in the garage every few months all day long, then using high end waxes and such is fun and rewarding so a coating might not be necessary as you probably aren't getting the full benefits.

With me, I have a black 2014 Mazda 3 SP25 that my partner uses as a daily and isn't taken care of as much as it should, so for this I did a Mohs+ coating and it is fantastic for it since I know it is completely protected, easy to keep looking good and I don't need to clean it as often.

For my M3 I barely drive it and always try keeping it looking as best as I can. I like trying new products that suppliers send me and always do test panels to see how product A goes against product B. I'm extremely fussy with how I wash it and it is dark grey so for my car I like using waxes/sealants. If I didn't have the Mazda as well, I probably would have done a coating but this way I can show customers both vehicles if they want to see real world differences.

Check out her black Mazda 3 here: www.attention-to-detail.com.au/project-gallery/mazda3paintcorrection

The gloss and depth I got out of that was simply breathtaking but took my a week to do.

Either way I always recommend a coating to a customer because it is so different to waxes and sealants and is true modern day technology. Understandably the cost of $600-$800 that I charge might not be for every ones budget, but I still think it is a bargain given what it does.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the Wolfgang products? Also have you guys seen that Swissvax Divine wax for $3699!! Is there something im not understanding here :huh:

Edited by Levy

• 1 year later...