SAU Community

V36 Auto Transmission Service

After reading that apparently the 370GT 7 speed doesn't need servicing during it's lifetime, I was skeptical. Sounded like a scam to me for Nissan to sell you a new transmission when it dies.

My transmission has felt pretty average since I imported the car so I figured I'd get mine serviced to be on the safe side; being at 63,000kms i figured now was as good a time as any to get it done. Booked into MV Automatics and was driving off 90 mins later.

Definitely recommend MV Autos.

Car is shifting as smooth as butter :thumbsup:

Will give it some stick later tonight to see if there's any improvement in WOT shift times

• Like 1

After reading that apparently the 370GT 7 speed doesn't need servicing during it's lifetime, I was skeptical. Sounded like a scam to me for Nissan to sell you a new transmission when it dies.

My transmission has felt pretty average since I imported the car so I figured I'd get mine serviced to be on the safe side; being at 63,000kms i figured now was as good a time as any to get it done. Booked into MV Automatics and was driving off 90 mins later.

Definitely recommend MV Autos.

Car is shifting as smooth as butter :thumbsup:

Will give it some stick later tonight to see if there's any improvement in WOT shift times

Very useful information to know Joolz... How much did you pay for this?

I'm considering doing it with mine too :)

Service was $285

I don't actually know what it involved; I just wanted it done... Ignorance is bliss :P

I've read it's a difficult job on the 7 speed so I was more than happy to pay a pro to handle it.

• Like 1

I figured with the price of the fluid, and then labour it seemed fair enough. Far better than me trying to do it :P

If you are curious, I'm sure Michael would be happy to go over what's involved; he's very helpful

I think my initial impressions were a bit of a placebo effect; it's really not that much different to before the service.

However... I took the car for a quick sprint through the hills on the way home from work tonight.

wow

The difference is night and day. It's like a different car!

Under hard acceleration it shifts so quick now! I was feeling disheartened with this car since I imported it with such lazy gear changes and was considering selling it for a manual coupe but I'm so happy now; the shifts are so good :D

It's almost like before I was driving the car around with a slipping transmission or something. Even general in-gear acceleration feels much stronger... it actually feels like a 240kw car which it just didn't before.

:banana:

• Like 1

I think my initial impressions were a bit of a placebo effect; it's really not that much different to before the service.

However... I took the car for a quick sprint through the hills on the way home from work tonight.

wow

Under hard acceleration it shifts so quick now! I was feeling disheartened with this car since I imported it with such lazy gear changes and was considering selling it for a manual coupe but I'm so happy now; the shifts are so good :D

It's almost like before I was driving the car around with a slipping transmission or something. Even general in-gear acceleration feels much stronger... it actually feels like a 240kw car which it just didn't before.

Excellent first hand feedback... I'm really considering doing this when my V36 Skyline arrives...

wow

is yours tuned at all? still stock?

• Like 1

They probably put a thinner fluid in, that would make the shifts faster. Did you supply fluids? Most transmission places just use Dextron3. It's what they put in my rebuilt 5 speed.

Any downside to using a thinner fluid Scott?

• 3 weeks later...

Wanting to take bae (v36) for a service. Now, wanting a transmission service too. Can I get some recommendations on transmission fluids and mechanics in Melbourne?

Also some recommendations for engine oil will be highly appreciated. Hows Mobile 1

0w -40w for the V36?

• 4 years later...

Hey guys - this is going to sound silly.  My previous mechanic told me it was a sealed unit, but my new one tells me it does require servicing.

It's more than just fluid, there is a filter as well (and gasket I assume).  

Either way - looking forward to my smoother auto... $290 at Kmart Tyre and Auto service.

23 hours ago, Haxorz said:

Hey guys - this is going to sound silly.  My previous mechanic told me it was a sealed unit, but my new one tells me it does require servicing.

Either way - looking forward to my smoother auto... $290 at Kmart Tyre and Auto service.

Hope your new mechanic knows whether its a CVT or standard auto box. Yes "sealed " units (no dipstick) still require servicing unless you can afford to buy a new car every 100,000km

23 hours ago, Haxorz said:

manual states its "optional" To flush the ATF every 50,000 km.

Also says to use "Nissan Matic S" only. Which i just used penrite equivalent.

My shifting was smoother with the paddles after but to be honest i didnt notice much difference over time haha. 

On 6/5/2019 at 2:08 PM, DashyyPC said:

My shifting was smoother with the paddles after but to be honest i didnt notice much difference over time haha.  

A smooth shifting auto means that there's a little more slippage going from one gear to the next. That would concern me a little if it shifted more firmly beforehand.