SAU Community

Educated Guess At The Final Tune Results

Nismo 3.2ish

36 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

Sorry Peter, the Phew was intended to say - at last you got somewhere, and what a long battle you had to do to get there!!!

So now you can relax a bit and draw breath......its over.  Admittedly the result was not ideal [in that you didn't get fully compensated], but it was a result at least.

In an ideal world you would like to think that the business - and businesses like them - take note and apply a greater degree of due diligence in the future, but that - as I said - is an ideal world unfortunately.

No Worries mate, thought thats what you meant,  Phew :)

You are right and it is great to get it done and dusted.

Are you doing much driving ATM ?

5 hours ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

Good to have this sorted and the blame clearly pointed to the builder, after all the BS it feels good for a car owner to have a win. BUT even though it was a win, I am out a lot of money because of the faulty workmanship and I will never get it back. I believe the builder was let off too easily and should have paid for most of the repair costs, I did nothing wrong.

Mmmm , EFR8374, after being in Bretts 34 and getting feedback from the boys after driving Niks car, I might have to do it , but I would like to drive a car like Niks to see how it feels , dynos do not seem to capture the bum in seat feeling :)

I do not think there is any doubt that the 8374 gets going a lot easier than the PT6266 up to 4000rpm , I think the top end is about the same and it would be interesting to see how the 3.2 Lt & the Vcam step 2 handles it ?

Since the last time there was an update I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting you and the car - great to see at least SOME compensation has been given and that the car is well on track, with potential for some further improvements.  I suspect things should go a lot smoother from now on in, and no doubt sometime in the next year I'll have to catch up with you jokers for another MickO BBQ... Borg Warner will be about due to sell more EFRs and you guys will no doubt have found another suitable candidate ;)

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

Since the last time there was an update I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting you and the car - great to see at least SOME compensation has been given and that the car is well on track, with potential for some further improvements.  I suspect things should go a lot smoother from now on in, and no doubt sometime in the next year I'll have to catch up with you jokers for another MickO BBQ... Borg Warner will be about due to sell more EFRs and you guys will no doubt have found another suitable candidate ;)

Yes Dan it was all good and another BBQ would not go astray :)

I think Paul gets a spotters fee from Borg Waner now :/

• 5 months later...

Car is back in for surgery, some fuel issues are being sorted, . Fuel Rail is fitted, 8374 has been mocked up.  They need to make some piping changes.  Fuel Pressure Reg is fitted and then plumb up the fuel lines. .

The surge tank was getting very hot. The mechanic is on to it and the changes should address this problem.

Going to have a Crank trigger kit installed, going with the Kulig trigger kit with the Ati balancer, I think this should have been done with the 3.2 build, but better late than never.

Just want it finished off this time and looking forward to having the 8374 in there,  have a feeling this turbo change will be the final mod to get the result I want :)

Will be a good driving comparison between the PT6266 Gen 2 and the BW  EFR8374 as far as earlier response and transient response goes. Not sure if the Dyno Graphs will tell the story ??

On 2/18/2017 at 9:05 AM, Nismo 3.2ish said:

Car is back in for surgery, some fuel issues are being sorted, . Fuel Rail is fitted, 8374 has been mocked up.  They need to make some piping changes.  Fuel Pressure Reg is fitted and then plumb up the fuel lines. .

The surge tank was getting very hot. The mechanic is on to it and the changes should address this problem.

Going to have a Crank trigger kit installed, going with the Kulig trigger kit with the Ati balancer, I think this should have been done with the 3.2 build, but better late than never.

Just want it finished off this time and looking forward to having the 8374 in there,  have a feeling this turbo change will be the final mod to get the result I want :)

Will be a good driving comparison between the PT6266 Gen 2 and the BW  EFR8374 as far as earlier response and transient response goes. Not sure if the Dyno Graphs will tell the story ??

Fingers crossed it all turns out how you want Pete :D

Do you have any more detail on the 'Kulig trigger kit'?

8 hours ago, JH32 said:

Fingers crossed it all turns out how you want Pete :D

Do you have any more detail on the 'Kulig trigger kit'?

Thanks

I have had trouble finding anything on it but my daughter busted her collarbone twice in 7 days and she has kept me pretty busy.

I was thinking of the Ross Kit but was over ruled and a few blokes thought the balancer material was a bit hard and did not do the job, so an Ati Balancer, never heard of it, lol

28 minutes ago, Daz said:

Crank trigger one of the best mods you can do :)

Thats why I wondered why it wasnt done but thought if they thought it did not need it, it was one less thing to pay for.

But after listening to a few blokes and reading up on it, I asked to have it done while the car was in.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Daz said:

Crank trigger one of the best mods you can do :)

I have searched and cannot find anything much about the Kulig trigger kit, have you heard of it. There is heaps on the Ati balancer.

Do you have first hand experience of the difference the trigger made to your or your mates car. I got a graph from Paul and it looks much smoother.

I am sure if the timing is sound the motor is at its best :)

1 hour ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

I have searched and cannot find anything much about the Kulig trigger kit, have you heard of it. There is heaps on the Ati balancer.

Do you have first hand experience of the difference the trigger made to your or your mates car. I got a graph from Paul and it looks much smoother.

I am sure if the timing is sound the motor is at its best :)

Yes I'm running a pro gtr motorsport cam and crank trigger kit with ati balancer.

no scatter it's spot on.

Prettying sure Kulig makes the Hi Octane kit. I've got that setup on mine. It's a good bit of kit. Fairly easy to fit and set up.

I'd love to hear a sound comparison of pre and post fitment of a trigger kit. Allegedly they sound quite different due to the cleaner signal to the ECU.

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, JH32 said:

How'd you go with this/?

HI James

Taking a bit longer than expect as always.

The Crank Trigger kit is in . Have the turbospeed working, also the variable cam tracking very well. Have the engine protection modes for fuel pressure.

The fuel system was worse than expected , I thought the pumps were staged but turns out they were all running at the same time and cooking the fuel, each at around 18amps I think, but it only had a 40 amp fuse that was in melt down stage (pic), not a good look , but now have separate control over the surge tank pumps :( -8 lines were run all the way from the surge lines to the motor. They also found a wire was hanging by a thread in the surge tank (pic), not sure what would have happened if that completely broke free , could have been bad I think?

Should be on the rollers this week and I guess we will see what happens. It will be a good comparison between the PT6266 and the EFR8374 , I will post both before and after Dyno graphs, except now it has a crank kit onboard but should be interesting to see how it feels on the road, from my limited experience the Dyno does not tell the full story until you drive the car and I cannot wait :) 

The boys are bring it up on the weekend all going well, so I had better empty the recycle bin and buy half a slab of beef , lol

I am sure the boys will have something to say about the new performance by the time they get here after 300 KLms , the last 54Klms is a good road to feel how it is all working around some twisties etc, just hope the rain has gone by then, let you know

wire falling off in surge tank.JPG

melted fuse.JPG

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure those fuse holders are rated at 30A.  Also its not the first time I've seen them melt either. 

I was using the same holders with 20A fuses, one for each pump along with injector duty based PWM pump speed control.  Same result, melted holders. 

Your better off using a high current 3AG or 5AG inline fuse with the spring loaded ends. 

https://www.jaycar.com.au/high-current-in-line-3ag-20a-fuse-holder/p/SZ2016

or

https://www.jaycar.com.au/5ag-60-amp-in-line-fuse-holder/p/SZ2065

One more thing, my fuel temps dropped 15 degrees when I changed from constant pump speed to injector duty based PWM pump speed.  Well worth doing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Insight are pretty thorough and I am sure he will make sure this does not happen again, he said this VVVVVVVVV

"The only way I can fix properly is to pull the surge tank apart and fit a wiring bulkhead that will allow 4 wires. Then I can run a second relay to trigger the second pump. This will reduce the cooking issue as on cruising the car will not be pumping both in surge tank pumps all the time. I can control it coming on only when needed and on prime to ensure it is always turning on."

They also changed from the stock fuel rail, put in a Plazmaman Billet fuel rail and changer the regulator , they went right through the fuel system and I asked them to change what they thought was necessary .

I would think the top end power will be similar, maybe a bit less, I have been told their Dyno reads a little lower than most. But it should still give an idea how it is performing down low .