SAU Community

Educated Guess At The Final Tune Results

Nismo 3.2ish

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2017 at 7:44 PM, Ben C34 said:

Wow, that’s a sweet result. About 300kw st 3800 rpm!

Bit late Ben, the saga continued. haha :/ 

The car had to go back to the shop the day the boys picked it up on the 2nd December, the water line to the Turbo was to too close to the exhaust and sprung a leak , then when testing the car on the Dyno a part in the Vcam tossed it in and they had to wait for the part from Japan before they could start on the work. Then the new part from HKS was wired differently and they could not work out what was going on as it also mixed the signal up on the crank trigger , bit too technical for me , Fn nightmare !

It wasn't until Xmas eve to be exact , got to the shop at 2pm and then the fun started with the electrical problems. They finished the car at 8pm that night Xmas Eve , bloody legends to work so late on it , then 330klm back home , got onto the last leg and a RBT got me when I turned onto the old country road around midnight , he was sitting there waiting for party boys to sneak down the back way, but all good and a nice cop , I treat them with respect and they do the same :)  

Edited, made a mistake on PSI

Put the Dyno Graph results on the Borg Warner EFR thread and no one said a word , I thought it was a pretty good result and showed the EFR 8374 worked well at lower revs on this type of build but apparently I was the only one that thought so, hahahaha

The car drives mad under 5000rpm and I guess 760 Derived Nm @ 4000rpm it should ,  it keeps going to 8000 , the limiter is  @ 8400rpm and very linear all the way from 3000 to 8000rpm , makes it seem slower until you see the speedo. Just keeps pushing you back into the seat :) 

All the best for the New Year

Edited by Nismo 3.2ish
made a mistake on information
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

My CR is 8.1:1 , not sure what happened there ,  talking about going to 10.5:1 tops but maybe 10 ish and a  P&P while the motors down .

The 8374 will probably run out of puff a little earlier but be interesting to see how it runs up to 6000 ish

Anyone gone from low 8s CR to 10.5 ish

"If" I ever want to change it up, I have everything there to go to the 9180  , with my setup it would still be a responsive street car with a lot more up top , maybe a 1.45ar , take a little off the response, but ?

Not too sure how the Getrag would like the 9180 ?

Not sure if the Getrag will like the extra twist with the higher CR and a P&P as is,  LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dale FZ1 said:

So are you looking to fix some "deficiency" or got the bug to play a bit more?

Got the bug ?

it is one of the mods I have wanted to do and it never happened,  want to see what it does to my setup , running on E85 now and that makes the higher CR more desirable 

The only other change I would make would be a 9180 but I doubt that I will go there as the top end power would be wasted on me and possibly cause box problems, not the higher HP but the violent twist on the box from the extra torque 

Will need new pistons with bigger crown.  Hopefully no issues with achieving piston to valve clearance.  

I don't think increasing static comp will offer a "silver bullet" solution, but it might be good in conjunction with a 1.45 turbine housing.  I'd be looking for the cleanest/coolest charge in those chambers, and less EMAP the way forward.

Edited by Dale FZ1

1 hour ago, Dale FZ1 said:

Will need new pistons with bigger crown.  Hopefully no issues with achieving piston to valve clearance.  

I don't think increasing static comp will offer a "silver bullet" solution, but it might be good in conjunction with a 1.45 turbine housing.  I'd be looking for the cleanest/coolest charge in those chambers, and less EMAP the way forward.

There will be new pistons, once motor is out and all measurements done , they will be ordered.

Not sure if they have a program for the head P&P for my requirements. So between my tuner and motor builder, I think they will do whatever is needed.

Tuner always said the 9180 with 3.2 would be better suited but I wanted the response and we went 8374 , don't need 500kw + , the car drives great for a street car, jut bitten by the modbug :)  

I struggle to make a decision about the 1.45 , so I will get it done and see how it goes.

Jumping between this and the EFR thread comments.

What is it that you want/hope to achieve?  More torque off-boost? Better driveability into boost? Improved low load fuel consumption :) ?  Using less boost (and therefore turbine rpm) to make similar power figure you currently have?

That seems to be the thrust of what to expect - none of which is a bad thing IMO

3 hours ago, Dale FZ1 said:

Jumping between this and the EFR thread comments.

What is it that you want/hope to achieve?  More torque off-boost? Better driveability into boost? Improved low load fuel consumption :) ?  Using less boost (and therefore turbine rpm) to make similar power figure you currently have?

That seems to be the thrust of what to expect - none of which is a bad thing IMO

That's about it in a nut shell  . I couldn't have said it better :) 

I am quite aware that most think I am nuts on SAU  and that's OK , but none of them have driven this car as is , I think "some" would change their tune if they did. Running around 150KW  by  2500rpm is not too shabby, This car keeps going in a linear power build from idle. Doesn't knock your block off but pins you to the seat. 

There may be a tweek of the cams , high comp cam springs and whatever helps while it's down

The higher CR will make it sharper to boost , not sure what CR we will go for , maybe 9.5 - 10 ish , that's to be decided. 

Will it make it come on boost a bit earlier ?, I don't know and from what I have read on SAU , maybe not , so I guess it is a perfect time to really see what it will do where it counts, on the road.

It will also be interesting to see if the power increases up to where it rolls over now .

Hard not to put the 1.45 on but I have to feel how it runs with the 1.05.

• Like 1

Minimum 10:1.

Bear in mind, with a higher CR you're going to be making more power off boost therefor will accelerate quicker therefor will get higher in the rev range quicker therefor will have more gas going through the engine and more boost sooner. 
Its one of those "dyno charts don't tell the full story" situations, in my opinion.

6 hours ago, sneakey pete said:

Minimum 10:1.

Bear in mind, with a higher CR you're going to be making more power off boost therefor will accelerate quicker therefor will get higher in the rev range quicker therefor will have more gas going through the engine and more boost sooner. 
Its one of those "dyno charts don't tell the full story" situations, in my opinion.

That’s what we expect from the work being done. Not sure what cam changes will be made yet,  but they know what I want so I assume it will help. 

Some think differently about the higher CR helping , it’s going to be better before boost , I would think this would get the turbo excited, but as I haven’t done this before , I can only guess what will happen. I will have to wait and see when I get my arse behind the wheel when it’s bolted back together 

I have always found that driving the car is different to what the Dyno indicates 

When it’s done I think I will try and get an extra  Dyno run from 2000rpm or less in 4th just for fun to see how it goes , if it is possible?

hard to know if it’s going to get more top end  at the same revs or if it will roll over earlier with more power. Already down from 475kw to 445 , must be the only bloke going in the other direction hahaha

Doesnt  matter to me , but  interesting ?

Pete doesnt drive his car "on boost" thats why he is looking for more grunt off boost. 800-2000rpm is where this car lives its life. You will only continue to go backwards with "your special requirements" mate.

Continually looking for more grunt down low is only gunna shorten your powerband, the life expectancy of your gearbox & genuinely make the car slower overall.

Essentially you keep building a slower car because you dont know how to drive what you have....

Your car tears your face off from 3000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear before you pulled it off the road AGAIN to chase more low down grunt...

You keep chucking money away at something you will NEVER GET from a GTR.

Hate to break it you Pete but you are already at the pointy end of the stick with these types of cars and throwing another bucket load of cash at this thing for very MINOR GAINS is madness. 

I honestly dont get it... You need to rev your motor MORE than 2000rpm to let the clutch out to move away from the traffic lights?

Why do you need more power there?!

You will literally be in those sorts of rpm for a second or 2...  IF at all?

Is that second or 2 of extra power really worth $20K?

Sadly you are dreaming to expect anymore low end grunt out of an RB26/30/32/34 these motors simply do not produce the power where you expect it.

These motors are short stroke, have low compression, have short inlet runners all characteristics designed for a top end screamer that DOES NOT produce low end torque.

You have already defied the odds with what you have now mate thanks to a smart AF tuner & "all the tricks up his sleeve" 

I say this with the upmost respect for you Pete, but i look forward to seeing the for sale Ad for this car as i think you need to quit wasting your time and hard earnt cash on this car and into something that ACTUALLY satisfies your driving requirements. 

I think you have been "trying to prove all the internet haters wrong" for far too long now to no prevail. 

You bought the car with a built 2.6L with a T78.From there to a 6262. Not happy....From there to a 3.2L stroker. Not happy.... Then you added V cam. Not happy.... Then to an EFR 8374. STILL not happy.... Then you upgraded your intercooler and added a drive by wire throttle body to increase response. STILL NOT HAPPY.... Now the car is back at the shop AGAIN and the donk is out to increase the compression and upgrade the v cam cam and exhaust cam and Port and polish the head and anything else that MAY help. Guess what....I dont know if you see whats coming here BUT..... YOU STILL WONT BE HAPPY! 

I genuinely respect that everybody builds their own ride to suit what they want out of their cars and what makes them happy but if you cant see the forest through the trees by now mate you never will.. 

You have plenty of dough no doubt. But wheres the line in the sand between dollars and sense?

Go buy something that doesnt require you driving 3.5hrs to Sydney and catching planes and taxis back up the coast to take the car back to the shop every 3-6 months because you arent happy with how it performs! 

Test drives are FREE! Go test drive an R35, Go test drive a turbo Porka, ANYTHING THAT YOU THINK LOOKS THE GOODS!

Go buy something that makes you happy mate because clearly the tadpole never will! 

1 last thing.... If the E85 at your local servo gets axed which seems likely as you are the only bloke buying it up there... 

Now your cars gunna be off the road for how many months which means they have now lost their best customer? 

But now you will have a high comp donk that will ping its head off with FA boost on 98. 

Its gunna limit you to buying & ordering in drum E85 which makes things ALOT more expensive  as your car is gunna hate life on petrol?

Just another thing to consider..... 

End rant/TL:DR......

• Like 2

Well , good one Mick , you must be on the 8th longneck by the time you got that off your hairy chest , lucky you  lol

I am under no illusions of what you and your friends have thought ever since I started to make my car and that's OK it's your opinions. I also respect your knowledge about cars and modifications. I also know what your saying about the motor not being built for what I want out of it , but I do not care, look how it runs now, 150kw by 2500rpm , it's so shitty,  lol

Start with the $ and sense dig , I spent a shitload, but how much is my car worth now :)

What about the money you have spent on your car to date and how much is it worth now , I think I will come out OK with my work and $ return , loose money  , sure will , enjoy the money I am spending, sure do , will I enjoy it after the new work , sure will.

If I sell it and someone wants a different result , bolt on a bigger turbo , tune and there you have a 800HP + at minimal extra cost with all the internals  to support more!.

While you have been playing around with yours for years , I take it you , like me were not happy with what you had and willing to wait 3 or 4 years to get what you want, that"s great and I am happy you finally have it back on the road.  I have been driving all but 15 months ish over the last 5 1/2 years and loving it :)

When driving to church and Woolies I have no need to go over 2000rpm because I can , it doesn't labour in any gear at 2000rpm and it will be even better soon and I will love it even more, who gives a flying F what you think about what I do with my car. I do drive it, regularly and every time up to 7000 but I don't need to go there after 2nd or 3rd  because I have a shitload of grunt, oh I am not on a track or racing anyone , so what's your problem with this.

E85 , if they close it down I have 10 X 20 Lt cans and  servo where I  can buy  E85 is about 80 minutes away. Pop the cans in the mighty Tiida and off I go.

I will be able to drive it on 98 and when and if I do I will take it easy, if I want to have fun and getting low on E85 I will go 50/50 and still have fun

Internet haters may have pissed me off at the start and started me off , but then I really started to like what I was doing , so you blokes that don't like what I am doing , go plait your crap :)

Mick , you cannot tell me that I will not be happy , I am happy with the way it runs now , just want to be happier :)

Put the Banana back on trickle  charge and crack another longie, then  go suck a stiff one mate :)

I don't know about everyone else, but My car spends a crap load of time below the full boost threshold, as I don't think i'd have my licence or car for long if i was driving around at full boost everywhere. While i certainly think that there's an element of chasing the impossible here, the higher compression ratio is going to give a noticeable improvement to every day driving of the car.

In terms of not running E85, every car/engine/tune combo is going to be different however my 9.5:1 stroker motor has no issue with 20PSI on 98 and that's with 260 cams so nothing silly, so its not all doom and gloom. Obviously if you did something like 12:1 you'd have problems on 98 but I think even on E85 you'd be running into chamber design issues there anyway

• Like 1