• Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Nismo 3.2ish

Educated Guess At The Final Tune Results

Recommended Posts

On 11/18/2018 at 1:40 PM, Nismo 3.2ish said:

Both cams going to 272 / 10.5 , could go to 11.0

Going  9.5:1 CR , they are going to use a thicker gasket , in case higher CR is ever wanted

 

So you're going with the dome top pistons. Nice. Are you going to do any head work, eg porting etc? Also, what size gasket?

I've got a 3.2 building going, and I have a full cnc ported head and built head with o/s valves etc. I'm probably going to stick a 1.2mm h/gasket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Predator1 said:

So you're going with the dome top pistons. Nice. Are you going to do any head work, eg porting etc? Also, what size gasket?

I've got a 3.2 building going, and I have a full cnc ported head and built head with o/s valves etc. I'm probably going to stick a 1.2mm h/gasket

It is half CNC port and remainder hand ported. The throat of the port  was done on a CNC machine and the remainder of the port is hand ported , cuts down a bit on cost Vs gain ?  Have 1mm OS valves etc already . 

Pistons are from CP-Carrillo in the US , will get a few pics as it goes together . Don't know what size gasket yet, they are going thicker to allow more CR should it be wanted in the future :/ 

What Turbo/s are you running. What else are you doing?

Doesn't seem like too many blokes do porting on their cars, guess it's because of "cost Vs gain" , other mods probably get them going  going better at lower costs , well ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The power is in the headwork. 

Hence why my S15 head was hand ported & polished by NAPREC.

The GTR has also been ported & polished by Prostock Motorsports. 

And the reason most people dont port & polish is because let's face it, they don't want to pay the money.

Look at Pauls car, its a fire breathing animal because he had his done by the 7 sec Drag 33 guy at HKS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

The power is in the headwork. 

Hence why my S15 head was hand ported & polished by NAPREC.

The GTR has also been ported & polished by Prostock Motorsports. 

And the reason most people dont port & polish is because let's face it, they don't want to pay the money.

Look at Pauls car, its a fire breathing animal because he had his done by the 7 sec Drag 33 guy at HKS.

I have no doubt porting done properly is a positive mod, it always has been. 

Pauls car is mad!

Mine may not show the portings full potential because of the 8374 on a 3.2 , it will be falling over around 6000 , it does that now , my tuner will get the best out of it and should be a ton of fun and interesting to see the results 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

It is half CNC port and remainder hand ported. The throat of the port  was done on a CNC machine and the remainder of the port is hand ported , cuts down a bit on cost Vs gain ?  Have 1mm OS valves etc already . 

Pistons are from CP-Carrillo in the US , will get a few pics as it goes together . Don't know what size gasket yet, they are going thicker to allow more CR should it be wanted in the future :/

What Turbo/s are you running. What else are you doing?

Doesn't seem like too many blokes do porting on their cars, guess it's because of "cost Vs gain" , other mods probably get them going  going better at lower costs , well ? 

Interesting, I would have thought CNC would actually be cheaper then doing it by hand, especially that you pay for by the hour?

Careful with the size of the HG, it has to be precise, otherwise you may risk det and will severely limit your power.

I've got a 9180 with a 60mm wastegate. The head is where all the power is made, so its best to do the homework on it. It is rocket science once you start getting into the intricacies involved such as air speed and pressure at different points in the chamber(None of that which I understand tho :D )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only go off what the builder said about the section they would hand port , they have a very good reputation in the game and have turned out some special cars. I figured while it was on the CNC , let it do the lot?

Do you have a build thread ,  1.05 or 1.45 a/r, if I ever went bigger I would go 9180/ 1.45 , but there’s not much chance of that 😂

When will your work be finished , like to see the results 

i was hoping for a Xmas present but doesn’t look promising atm , so 2019 😢

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, dont have a build thread, I don't come on here much. I was supposed to just do a 2.8 stroker, however, plans changed.

I've got the 1.05 housing, however I feel it will run out of puff, so will have to see how the it goes when I get it tuned. If it runs out of puff, then will live with it till I can afford to stick the bigger housing, or a completely different turbo setup.

Not sure when mine will be on the road, hopefully Feb, as I still have tonnes to do.. complete fuel system, accusump, etc etc.

Whats your fuel setup? I'm probably going to go for a -10 feed and -8 return with a dual pump surge tank.. all e85 compatible lines etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Predator1 said:

Nah, dont have a build thread, I don't come on here much. I was supposed to just do a 2.8 stroker, however, plans changed.

I've got the 1.05 housing, however I feel it will run out of puff, so will have to see how the it goes when I get it tuned. If it runs out of puff, then will live with it till I can afford to stick the bigger housing, or a completely different turbo setup.

Not sure when mine will be on the road, hopefully Feb, as I still have tonnes to do.. complete fuel system, accusump, etc etc.

Whats your fuel setup? I'm probably going to go for a -10 feed and -8 return with a dual pump surge tank.. all e85 compatible lines etc.

This wasn't a build thread, wasn't intending to do all this work, like a DH I got carried away trying to get what I wanted , pretty close now and after this LAST lot , it will be all done and dusted . 

The 9180/1.05 should be mad , guess it depends what you are after. Mine is falling over around 6000 but still has plenty pushing it to 8000 for me , hard to use more than 6500 anywhere on the street, no need to rev the shit out of it.

 Nuke surge, twin Walbro 460s and a 460 p/u , -8 through to a Plazmaman rail , flex fuel system , ID1300 injectors and a shit load of sensors keeping an eye on everything that moves on the car, lol

Vcam allows more low end through to running out of puff, very linear car to drive.

Can't wait to see how this last lot makes the car drive, not expecting the world but it should be noticeable all the way through to limiter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Predator1 said:

Nice, so we have a very similar setup.. minus the Vcam. What boost/power are you seeing? Any latest Dyno sheets?

Do you have any block bracing/caps?

Dyno graph page 119, think the PSI was 26 ish on E85 and 20 ish on 98. I was never going for high top end, would have had a 9180 bolted on LOL

Had some grouting in the block , adds block rigidity and helps to prevent cracking from twisting due to torque

Don't know about the block bracing/caps ?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

Had some grouting in the block , adds block rigidity and helps to prevent cracking from twisting due to torque

 

Interesting concept about grout filling - I'm not sure whether half filling the block provides the rigidity where its MOST needed, ie the top.

What size exhaust?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Predator1 said:

Interesting concept about grout filling - I'm not sure whether half filling the block provides the rigidity where its MOST needed, ie the top.

What size exhaust?

Like everything, there seems to be different options on grout fill, some do it if the car runs over 400awkw to absorb a bit of the twist I guess , read where  some do it because of the harmonics , something to do with the vibration. I have no idea but if it’s the right type of filler  ?? 

4” dump to 3.1/2” to tail, pretty quiet system, less noise , less notice and that’s how I like it. 

With the new cam sizes I was wondering about it being a bit lumpy but with the Vcam it should be ok , small town , don’t need attention 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just found and old thread, some interesting thoughts on grouting the block 

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/354935-max-power-for-rb26-block/?page=2

Guess there are plenty more, for and against. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the run-in tune , going down later this month to finish it. thought I would post it and see if there will be much of a difference after the next tune . Do not expect much of a change , just a bit more .

  The results were emailed to me and I was not too happy when I compared the both Dyno runs , but  the scaling was different for this tune. But the car runs better everywhere than the Dyno suggests. Need your bum in the seat to appreciate it.

Paul was up last week and took it for a drive , well more like a 120Klm romp, blew 3/4 of a tank and he was reasonably impressed with the way the car runs now

 

 

 

.1736193733_MYLASTRUNINTUNE.jpeg.f9329de3d3e89cd2fb21bd4e2121d562.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. 20psi at 3000 rpm. That would be fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

Wow. 20psi at 3000 rpm. That would be fun!

This is what the tuner said "I reckon you could do your lakesway run test not even revving hard under 4500rpm and it will be a beast.  It really is the opposite of nearly every other GTR in the world where they are normally barely waking up then."

Come a long way mate , expensive learning curve but all done at last 😎

Edited by Nismo 3.2ish
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 4:15 PM, Nismo 3.2ish said:

Here is the run-in tune , going down later this month to finish it. thought I would post it and see if there will be much of a difference after the next tune . Do not expect much of a change , just a bit more .

  The results were emailed to me and I was not too happy when I compared the both Dyno runs , but  the scaling was different for this tune. But the car runs better everywhere than the Dyno suggests. Need your bum in the seat to appreciate it.

Paul was up last week and took it for a drive , well more like a 120Klm romp, blew 3/4 of a tank and he was reasonably impressed with the way the car runs now

 

 

 

.1736193733_MYLASTRUNINTUNE.jpeg.f9329de3d3e89cd2fb21bd4e2121d562.jpeg

 

 

I drove this peach a couple weeks ago while up holidaying in Pete's home town.

Pete has mentioned that the old and new graphs don't show much difference. Throw the sheet in the bin is all I can say. It was stonking before this round but its halarious now. 

Doing the 120 km belt through "The Lakes Way" which is Pete's little playground was interesting. There is not a corner in the whole joint that you need 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. There was a sign posted corner that was 35 kph that I did in 4th gear. just as I straightened the wheel it was turning tyres. You honestly couldn't fall off song in this thing if you tried. A choice of 3 gears in every corner. Use odd gears or even gears.

Anything from 3000 RPM and its ON. Not just 'coming on"... full noise, MFD blinking red shit. Being in such a tall gear all the time you need to recalibrate. 3000 RPM in 4th and feed it on, you think you're ready to change gear, look down and you're at 5500 RPM. In 6th, it has 24 psi by 2700 RPM. It’s a joke. As a street GTR, it would be bloody hard to beat this thing. Can turn tyres in the first 4 gears without much effort at all. Tyres are not motorway spec junk either. 275 RS4's with a Quaife front diff and the transfer case mod done.

If you're not happy with it Pete, time to sell it because it does its thing so bloody well!

You could quite easily get away with a 9180 on it and still be sweet. I know we have both spoken about it a zillion times, it aint for you. 

It does need brakes though. The thing doesn't stop AT ALL! Perhaps a set of decent pads (Endless CC-RG's) would go a long way here. 

The torque steer might need to be addressed too. It's quite scary.

Here is to the tadpole. The black tractor of the Mid North Coast!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Piggaz said:

I drove this peach a couple weeks ago while up holidaying in Pete's home town.

Pete has mentioned that the old and new graphs don't show much difference. Throw the sheet in the bin is all I can say. It was stonking before this round but its halarious now. 

Doing the 120 km belt through "The Lakes Way" which is Pete's little playground was interesting. There is not a corner in the whole joint that you need 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. There was a sign posted corner that was 35 kph that I did in 4th gear. just as I straightened the wheel it was turning tyres. You honestly couldn't fall off song in this thing if you tried. A choice of 3 gears in every corner. Use odd gears or even gears.

Anything from 3000 RPM and its ON. Not just 'coming on"... full noise, MFD blinking red shit. Being in such a tall gear all the time you need to recalibrate. 3000 RPM in 4th and feed it on, you think you're ready to change gear, look down and you're at 5500 RPM. In 6th, it has 24 psi by 2700 RPM. It’s a joke. As a street GTR, it would be bloody hard to beat this thing. Can turn tyres in the first 4 gears without much effort at all. Tyres are not motorway spec junk either. 275 RS4's with a Quaife front diff and the transfer case mod done.

If you're not happy with it Pete, time to sell it because it does its thing so bloody well!

You could quite easily get away with a 9180 on it and still be sweet. I know we have both spoken about it a zillion times, it aint for you. 

It does need brakes though. The thing doesn't stop AT ALL! Perhaps a set of decent pads (Endless CC-RG's) would go a long way here. 

The torque steer might need to be addressed too. It's quite scary.

Here is to the tadpole. The black tractor of the Mid North Coast!

The car drives as I always wanted it too , just took a while to get it there.

No 9180 for me , 460 AWKW and lots of torque is more than plenty for a streetcar , well for me, not you, hahaha.

I thought you headed to Sydney when you went for the drive and I was about to call the cops and report it stolen.. lol

I will do the brakes soon.

The car was really scary from the moment I bought it  , tried to kill me a few times heading for the bush. But better tyres and all new bushes helped a lot ,  it's a lot better now than it was. Not sure what to do about the torque steer , had it for a while now and I think the crappy road doesn't help, getting used of it . Might speak to the boys when I go for the tune next week. Maybe do an alignment when I am in Sydney

Glad you had some fun in it  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Latest Trader Topics