SAU Community

Bonnet Pop V36

12 minutes ago, The Max said:

I would leave everything in place. It's not ideal but when it happened to me, I just used some really fat cable ties to keep the bonnet tied down onto the rams as I drove over to my guy. The rams are a single-use item, so you can't compress them back down to allow the bonnet to close completely. It is what it is.

If you mess with anything that has deployed, that gives the insurance an excuse to screw you over. Don't give them any ammunition for excuses. Let them see what happened and why. Leave it to your repairer to put things back to normal after that.

I hear you. Seems like I need to prepare for 2 months at least worth of being without the car = ouch. 

I'll chat with the repairer about options to minimise the car being off the road waiting for parts.

Edited by Pete_Repeat

11 minutes ago, The Max said:

See if a loan car is an option. I have two cars so it didn't present any problems for me.

Wish I had the same option. My other car (2001 range Rover) that I use for off road is "resting" at the moment so no go. My wife needs hers.. 

Rental car is out of question for that length of time. 

Or maybe buy a bomb and sell it at the end otherwise. 

If you go through insurance just tell them its not able to be driven and they'll come to you and tow it.
Technically you can drive it but if you screw around with it you're just giving them chances to deny the claim etc

Best to just let them deal with it imo. If the car is estimated to take months to fix i believe they'll be able to organise hire cars etc (depending on which company you use)

Goodluck  Pete :(

Just now, DashyyPC said:

If you go through insurance just tell them its not able to be driven and they'll come to you and tow it.
Technically you can drive it but if you screw around with it you're just giving them chances to deny the claim etc

Best to just let them deal with it imo. If the car is estimated to take months to fix i believe they'll be able to organise hire cars etc (depending on which company you use)

Goodluck  Pete :(

Yes towing is an option offered.. But if I go with their suggested repairer then once it's towed there for assessment I just grin and bare the wait... Which even if they offer 30 dollars a day rental car (they offer a generous 5 percent discount so higher than that) then that could cost close on 2k in rental charges if it takes 2 months. I'm at fault so there is no rental cover from them. I understand any place will have to wait for parts, just trying to reduce the risk as once it's there it's staying there. A few days this end working the beat option seemed better than rushing to start it. 

I understand any place will have to wait for parts, just trying to reduce the risk as once it's there it's staying there.

Not necessarily. Depends on the agreement you come to with the repairer. With my guy, I suggested to him that I take it back home after the assessment until he had all the bits ready to repair. He appreciated it because it freed up a space in his busy workshop and all the while, my car was safe at home.

I was without my car for 5 months after a light front end crash.... Getting the correct bumper was a nightmare for them!! They thought the bonnet was going to be hard, but it turned out that Nissan had one that had been incorrectly ordered..

2 hours ago, nickcorr said:

I was without my car for 5 months after a light front end crash.... Getting the correct bumper was a nightmare for them!! They thought the bonnet was going to be hard, but it turned out that Nissan had one that had been incorrectly ordered..

Getting bumpers is super easy.. SP coupe bar is only $330 brand new delivered from Factory. Wonder why they found it hard.
sedans are easy to get parts for too.

15 minutes ago, DashyyPC said:

Getting bumpers is super easy.. SP coupe bar is only $330 brand new delivered from Factory. Wonder why they found it hard.
sedans are easy to get parts for too.

I dare say it's probably more the fact that panelbeaters prefer to deal with local sources so that they have the required local support to resolve any issues that may arise. According to my guy, when it comes to import vehicles, the dealers (such as Suttons and Parramatta Motor Group here in NSW) treat us as second class citizens.

Without a friend working there (of which my acquaintance and my repairer's friend has retired), it's a tough battle to get them to be semi-helpful even with the part numbers handed to them.

I deal with Partsouq for most of what I need anyway. They're cheaper and faster than the local boys but then again, what I save in cash is because of the lack of local support. For example, I bought what I thought was the replacement ashtray assembly for my vehicle with the woodgrain finish, based on the part number I found in the database pertaining to my VIN. Either the previous owner changed the trim himself, database was wrong or the guys at Partsouq needed to be told what trim it needed to be because I received a brushed aluminium one instead of woodgrain. Obviously too expensive to ship back but I can just switch the lid with my original one.

18 hours ago, The Max said:

I dare say it's probably more the fact that panelbeaters prefer to deal with local sources so that they have the required local support to resolve any issues that may arise. According to my guy, when it comes to import vehicles, the dealers (such as Suttons and Parramatta Motor Group here in NSW) treat us as second class citizens.

Without a friend working there (of which my acquaintance and my repairer's friend has retired), it's a tough battle to get them to be semi-helpful even with the part numbers handed to them.

I deal with Partsouq for most of what I need anyway. They're cheaper and faster than the local boys but then again, what I save in cash is because of the lack of local support. For example, I bought what I thought was the replacement ashtray assembly for my vehicle with the woodgrain finish, based on the part number I found in the database pertaining to my VIN. Either the previous owner changed the trim himself, database was wrong or the guys at Partsouq needed to be told what trim it needed to be because I received a brushed aluminium one instead of woodgrain. Obviously too expensive to ship back but I can just switch the lid with my original one.

I was hit by a motorbike in AUG 2018. Put a big hole in my door and damaged the rear qtr.
The door was fully replaced from a 2014 Q60 and the entire left side repainted. 

This was through AAMI. 
Had the car back 2 weeks later. Maybe i got lucky that infiniti had a door laying around haha

• 2 weeks later...

It was the fact that it was a SP/S sedan bumper that was the issue... Coupe one would have been easy, so they said.. And yes parts had to come from AUS, or at least be ordered though an AUS supplier.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2019 at 2:14 PM, The Max said:

Definitely the same process. The modules are still Bosch, albeit perhaps somewhat different programming and/or EEPROM IC used but it wouldn't be significantly different and the Tachsoft guys seem to support a wide range of modules. If you have the hardware, it's easy to fix within the space of 30 minutes.

I might reverse engineer the code in mine to see if there's a software method of switching this module off, as I think it's the biggest load of horseshit, in my opinion. Failing that, a couple of resistors and disconnecting the rams will certainly do the trick as well.

Ah, for disabling the output to the rams. Gotcha.

Have not had much time to myself to work on it. Haven't even touched the infotainment system I've been working on since last year. Been too busy building much more complex systems for broadcasters. ;)

It'll just have to be a reset for now.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:56 PM, The Max said:

Ah, for disabling the output to the rams. Gotcha.

Have not had much time to myself to work on it. Haven't even touched the infotainment system I've been working on since last year. Been too busy building much more complex systems for broadcasters. ;)

It'll just have to be a reset for now.

No worries! hey side note, has anyone measured the resistance of the ram airbag module? 

i have removed the rams in mine and would like to just put resistors in place, but since my rams are already detonated i am not sure what resistance to make them? assuming it will change once detonated.