SAU Community

Share Your Euro!

PranK

26 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

Fix and repairs don't seem to be an option for dealerships... It's just replacement at huge cost to the owner. f**k em.

This is 100% correct for BMWs.

17 minutes ago, Count Grantleyish said:

Inb4 it's something simple like a firmware upgrade/reset. 

FTFY. :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve85 said:

The gearbox had a it of a meltdown about 3 or 4 months ago and was flaring and carrying on.

Is it a ZF 6 speed auto? If the fluid hasn't been changed, it may be worth doing.

Cheapest place I've found for ZF Lifeguard is Repco - they sell it in 1 litre (or is it 1 quart?) containers. When they have their 30% discount for RAA / RACV etc members you can get it for less than $28 per litre. Add a new metal pan and filter (assuming it still has the OEM pan) and it may fix your problem for a few hundred bucks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GeeDog said:

Is it a ZF 6 speed auto? If the fluid hasn't been changed, it may be worth doing.

Cheapest place I've found for ZF Lifeguard is Repco - they sell it in 1 litre (or is it 1 quart?) containers. When they have their 30% discount for RAA / RACV etc members you can get it for less than $28 per litre. Add a new metal pan and filter (assuming it still has the OEM pan) and it may fix your problem for a few hundred bucks.

It is the ZF  and a fluid change is on list of things to do. Interestingly according to BMW these are a non-serviceable item. They don't change the fluid at all according to them. On face value I can't believe this, has anyone else every heard of a gearbox that was a sealed unit?

Yeah a few lexus gearboxes are like that and some vauxhall/holden gearboxes. "the oil is good for the life of the car" and in some cases it's supposed to be true. But I know a few people who have done them anyway at like +150kms and noticed a difference.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

Yeah a few lexus gearboxes are like that and some vauxhall/holden gearboxes. "the oil is good for the life of the car" and in some cases it's supposed to be true. But I know a few people who have done them anyway at like +150kms and noticed a difference.

I guess its time for me to stop being a lazy shit and do some googling. Work out what will suit me best... Appreciate that quick response too! :D

4 hours ago, Steve85 said:

It is the ZF  and a fluid change is on list of things to do. Interestingly according to BMW these are a non-serviceable item. They don't change the fluid at all according to them. On face value I can't believe this, has anyone else every heard of a gearbox that was a sealed unit?

I've got a G6E Turbo with a ZF 6 speed. Ford also claim "sealed for life", but most mechanics recommend a service at around 100,000 km. I had mine done at around 120,000, and there was a noticable improvement to shifting and general feel. The first service requires a replacement pan & filter, subsequent services only need the filter as the replacement pan allows the filter to be changed.

The other common issue they have is a fluid leak at the mechatronics sleeve. Eventually you end up with low fluid level, and just topping it up can make a big difference. My son has a 550i (also with a ZF 6 speed), and topped his up a few months ago. It took about 300 - 400ml, but it made quite a difference.

The ZF is a fantastic auto box, but I can't believe that the fluid would last 150,000 km or more.

• Like 1

There is a workshop in Frankston - Pit Lane Performance - who is active on Australian Ford Forums. They seem to do a lot of ZF work, and get good feedback for it. Not sure where you are, but it may be worth calling them. Their ZF service prices seem to be pretty sharp. I don't actually know them, or have any connection with them, have just read plenty of feedback. The ZF in the Ford FG is pretty much the same as yours.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice car man. I still haven't gotten around  to doing anything about my car yet. However, we did add a little girl to the household recently. So its not like i've been sitting on my backside. :)

I'm currently looking for a new toy car, and i'll probably sell one of the wagons. 
I'm also going to be storing a friends 34 GTR. So at least my 33 will have a friend! :)

• 1 year later...

So, got this as a new daily and keeping the S14 as a weekender... turns out, as a driving experience this thing does everything better than the Nissan, with the exception of ride quality. 20 years of progress ?

01342603-2bbe-41dc-bd95-4763ef0f4430.jpg

• Like 2

Count, your 90tsi would be almost the perfect daily I reckon.

It was a lovely daily for 3 weeks and I found it too slow coming from GF8 WRX and bought a Golf R.

Bought it when it was the cheapest on market (below trade in value!), and I still have it now - 3 years and 4 months of ownership so far.

Drove it a lot - used it as a daily, Uber, parts runner, interstate trips (2x Sydney, 1x Adelaide 1x Canberra with a detour of Wagga, Junee and around that way), didn’t miss a beat mechanically out of 68,000km I’ve driven in it.

It’s insanely easy to drive, I’ve let my brother, mum, my ex and current gf drive it. And that car changed my mind on DSG, it’s excellent transmission.

There are the pics IMG_0691.jpgIMG_0702.jpg

• Like 2

So I've ended up with another addition to my Euro collection.

It was supposed to become the new daily but I got a bit carried away and now it's another project car. Oops! It arrived as a low kilometre (37k) Stage 2+ tuned car and now I'm half way to turning into a Stage 3 car with some extra goodies.

A set of KW DCCs are due to arrive next week and the APR LPFP and Milltek cat-back to complement to APR downpipe isn't far away. The turbo is a TTE420, so it should make for a fun little FWD toy without turning into a wheel spin machine.    

APR claim 360ish hp (close to 270kW) at Stage 2+ and it feels like a mid to low 12 second car as is (I believe the quickest Stage 2+ Roc in the country is in the high 11s!) so I'm guessing Stage 3 with the TTE420 should be 320kW territory.

And then I bought another daily hack, for under $3k! Not Euro or JDM but it is actually quite nice to drive.   

20190827_143108.jpg

20190806_123241.jpg

20190823_112308.jpg

20190823_112206.jpg

20190826_173354.jpg

20190823_112239.jpg

20190817_183322.jpg

20190817_183441.jpg

• Like 1

How did I ever miss this thread? Love it!

Here's the daily, weekender, and casual Type-R/86 chopper.

Since we got this car, I don't even bother taking out the R33. The launch control always makes me smile, especially when the haldex kicks in and you get a thump :D

IMG-20180906-WA0011.thumb.jpg.19bed761ce9644ec9bb0841253f8d979.jpg

(yeah I'm hanging a piss)

• Like 3