SAU Community

The Future Of E85 In Australia (not Looking Good)

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/03/2020 at 10:52 AM, Ty1 said:

Filled up with united e85 yesterday and paid $1.59/L ?

Now its $1.69!? Wtf!! 40 cents more than 98 ?

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

sanitser

Lol, I'm watching the Ch9 news, and they spelt it exactly the same tonight (in the text they show across the bottom while a talking head is talking crap)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ty1 said:

For anyone following this space i messaged united regarding the price increase and this is what they wrote back.

Screenshot_20200413-222418_Messenger.thumb.jpg.4a5ba6a1861e6c4f4a3842dacdf3ada5.jpg

What a load of BS answer. Answer without telling you anything you don't already know. Their rep should be a politician.

• Like 1

I honestly can't believe they still sell it.i use it, I want it, but the demand would be so low for them.

Don't complain. That answer is pretty fair, if iy was to drop it would only drop on the 15% part thats not ethanol. It is virtually not tied to the oil price, and the price is just set at what the market will pay.

and the market is people with performance cars, the dream of people using it as an environmentally friendly option went pretty poorly for caltex and Holden, so much so that Holden stopped selling the commodores as being flex fuel capable and didn't even mention it and no one cared.

• Like 1

As we export about 80% of our sugar production there is no profitable marketing reason to manufacturer ethanol for a major fuel source. It will always be a niche market whilst there is more money in export.

Sad, but true.

In saying that, I've been buying 98 for 0.99c over the last week of the apocalypse.

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

I honestly can't believe they still sell it

Yeah I would have thought it would've died off ages ago from no mass adoption. We never ended up getting it on pump here, drum E85 shipped up is the only option. Cheapest it ever works out is about $4.50 per litre. Still works out better for a race fuel than what I used to pay when buying VP109 unleaded at $16+ a litre.

I'd kill to have E85 on pump here, but I do think it will be relegated to drum only everywhere eventually.

Dont know why, in Australia, we've never gone down the Butanol path, a direct replacement for the fuel we now use, with out any engine mods and can be made from the vast amount of waste vegetable production that never makes it to market that gets plowed back into the ground cause its to big, wrong colour, wrong shape or has slight blemishes on it. 

3 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

the dream of people using it as an environmentally friendly option went pretty poorly for caltex and Holden

Well the reality is, there's so much upstream pollution with the production of ethanol is it really environmentally friendly?

Sames goes for electric cars in countries such as ours and Fat Yank land where the majority of energy is produced by burning coal.. yeah sure there's no pollution at the vehicle level, but what about all the coal burnt and the inefficiencies of transporting energy from the power station to your wall socket.

2 hours ago, PLYNX said:

Dont know why, in Australia, we've never gone down the Butanol path, a direct replacement for the fuel we now use, with out any engine mods and can be made from the vast amount of waste vegetable production that never makes it to market that gets plowed back into the ground cause its to big, wrong colour, wrong shape or has slight blemishes on it. 

isnt butanol heaps thicker than petrol? so wont exactly pump or go through a fuel injector the same? 

1 minute ago, Ben C34 said:

isnt butanol heaps thicker than petrol? so wont exactly pump or go through a fuel injector the same? 

Nope ! As far as I'm aware, from my dinosaur chemical brain, its about the same as pump gas for viscosity and energy.

Was looking at it many years ago, when I was blending fuels for high performance engines, when they started discontinuing high octane leaded fuels.