SAU Community

The Future Of E85 In Australia (not Looking Good)

1 hour ago, 33GTRV said:

Payed 174.9 today for f**king corn juice at United. What the actual f**k? It's a semi renewable 

They get $4 a litre (average) for it when they turn it into coke.

If you could stop everyone from trying to get diabetes by not eating and drinking sugar based products like softdrinks and all the added sugar in processed food there may be financial reasons for the big companies to push ethanol, but, we are all fat sugar crazed monsters.

Sugar is the devil......yada yada yada....conspiracy this, multinational that....

27 minutes ago, jrm said:

With these crazy prices, it makes me wonder if I should be re-thinking getting my nistune upgraded for e-flex :(

Really? Cars literally burn money. You don’t own and modify a skyline as a sensible thing to do.

you either want the car to go faster or not. They aren’t crazy prices at all considering what it offers ( more power for more money) 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Really? Cars literally burn money. You don’t own and modify a skyline as a sensible thing to do.

you either want the car to go faster or not. They aren’t crazy prices at all considering what it offers ( more power for more money) 

You're 100% right. And I want the car to go faster.

1 hour ago, r32-25t said:

The part I’ve never understood is adding 10% ethanol makes fuel cheaper but adding 85% makes it more expensive 

I believe it has to do with government subsidies IRT "renewables", most cars ran/run fine on a 10% blend, this gives the illusion that we are pushing alternate fuel sources, without really going all in.

I believe E85 in the US was readily available due to big subsidies and a big environmental push, recently though ethanol production looks like it has taken a massive hit and production is slowing.

The focus on electric vehicles has taken precedence over liquid renewables.

Another issue with ethanol is it uses land that could be used for food crops.

Corn syrup is the devil....the devil I tells ya......yada yada yada....conspiracy this, multinational that.... 

1 hour ago, r32-25t said:

The part I’ve never understood is adding 10% ethanol makes fuel cheaper but adding 85% makes it more expensive 

E85 is dirt cheap in the US right now, even cheaper than E10. In the corn producing states we're talking about 0.80 USD/gal because there is a massive oversupply. It's curious to me what's stopping the import of US ethanol to reduce cost. Is there some massive import duty to protect local industry? 

10 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

E85 is dirt cheap in the US right now, even cheaper than E10. In the corn producing states we're talking about 0.80 USD/gal because there is a massive oversupply. It's curious to me what's stopping the import of US ethanol to reduce cost. Is there some massive import duty to protect local industry? 

It would be that the Australian demand for e85 is tiny, and not worth the trouble of importing. 

Its also about supply cost here in Aus.

For what we do, we were getting ethanol supplied at around $1.25/L. Now due to the Corvid 19 hand sanitizer manufacture its jumped to over $5.00/L

coming from the UK it makes me laugh hearing all you lot complain about fuel prices. 

Count yourselves lucky that you get E85, also count yourselves lucky that your fuel is actually very cheap! it costs twice as much in the UK and you dont get the option for E85 at all!

29 minutes ago, DaymoR32 said:

coming from the UK it makes me laugh hearing all you lot complain about fuel prices. 

Count yourselves lucky that you get E85, also count yourselves lucky that your fuel is actually very cheap! it costs twice as much in the UK and you dont get the option for E85 at all!

Yes but to be fair the furthest you can drive in the UK is what, ten miles?  Because the whole of the UK is smaller than Tasmania.  So there's that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DaymoR32 said:

haha England is definitely bigger than Tasmania mate. however my point still stands, your fuel is cheap! and so is rego (thats coming from someone in NSW too!!)

Yeah it all boils down to government revenue and a trade off between rego/fuel price/road tolls.  So here in WA we get bent over for rego ($800PA for an old Skyline and bugger all historic licensing), fuel is ok in the city and there arent any toll roads. Main problem being there are few outlets for E85 in Perth and sod all outside the metro areas.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say, i'm not that concerned by E85 prices. I didn't buy the car to be economical, nor to try to go for hyper mile efforts.  It's a ridiculous car and if it means paying more for petrol for another 100kw so be it. 

If I was allowed out of my house, i'd be burning through enough E85 to solve the overproduction issue on my own. (obviously an exaggeration).

I may have burned about a half tank in 30kms the other day... foot to floor. Hit speed limit (ish) foot on the brake, repeat. Good times.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...