SAU Community

R33 Gtst Track Car Build

FLN75S

Consistency and not driving over your head is a great approach. The R35 and S15 showed what can happen. :(

Evo was using power on the straight bits, looked like he doesn't know it should have double the grip and twice the drive off the tighter corners though. Maybe you've seen the same sort of thing on gravel... ;)

Your car appears to be showing decent balance, noise from the front tyres in corners suggests they are working hard though.

How did they go for wear - bashing the outside shoulder?

Haha yep plenty of guys just using the power at that track day for sure, then they end up holding me up through the corners.

Fronts are working but on that run they were worse as they had too much pressure. Dropped them back to 35psi hot on the next run and they were better. Tyre wear is fairly consistent to be honest and the tyres are actually wearing fairly even across the tread.

Think in that run it didn't help my lines were all over the shop as I was trying to work out what worked best not to mention I spent most of my time concentrating on traffic and not line choice.

Being they are only 16 inch and 225 wide I imagine that is more the limiting factor as well.

I'll try get up one of my later runs with less traffic which shows the car working better. Seeing it doesn't have huge power front end grip is definitely the limiting factor to how hard I can push it into a corner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Took the car last Tues to have a run at Round 2 of the NSSCC Twilight Rallysprint series held around the Drag strip at Eastern Creek.

Just fitted up a LED light bar and put the passenger seat back in and it was good to go. Car performed really well and the only concern I had with it was the diff again open wheeling. So Its coming out this weekend to get a proper LSD installed before I do another one.

Finished with a 2:15 which was 14th fastest for the event and second in class. Only issue is first in class is running a RX7 setup for Time attack with 500hp apparently so might be a bit hard to catch haha.

As usual though car had no issues and we had fun which was the point of the build anyway.

post-54017-0-97627800-1448499624_thumb.jpgpost-54017-0-81278600-1448499625_thumb.jpgpost-54017-0-98340400-1448499603_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Took the car to another Rallysprint at EC last month. before we went this time i did the LSD upgrade by putting in a spare GTR diff I had with the 2 way LSD in it.

Huge difference to the car as you would expect. For me it suited my driving style and made the car so much more predictable to drive.

Attached run was my best of the night and was quick enough for 10th fastest outright time of the night. Plus this time we managed to win our class.

Did have 1 incident with a plastic barrier when I cut the corner just a bit too much but thanks to SSS already have another one fitted in the same colour.

post-54017-0-58227200-1457058765_thumb.jpg

As usual its far from the quickest car in a straight line but it really is a fun car to drive and push hard with and ends up being quicker than you would think.

• 2 years later...

So been just a little while since I have added to this but unfortunately later in 2016 I wrote off my S13 Rally car so rebuilding that has taken up basically all of my spare time and any spare cash has gone towards the new build so the 33 has sat in the shed looking very neglected unfortunately .

However recently I have been able to spend some cash on the 33 again to get it looking/going just a bit better so we can enjoy it once again as I am seriously keen to do some form of racing whilst the S13 continues to be rebuilt.

Recent purchases have been,

GTR Bar/Side skirts/GTR wing/Intercooler/Apexi Power FC.

Car goes to Unigroup next week to finally get a tune and then I will hopefully be out on the track soon after to see how much better it is, can hardly wait!!

Finally pick of 13 in progress everyone loves some cage work.

IMG_20160827_091336.jpg

IMG_20171116_124006.jpg

IMG_20171104_163443.jpg

IMG_20171223_124037.jpg

IMG_20180310_124425.jpg

IMG_20180310_124458.jpg

IMG_20180225_171749.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FLN75S said:

....Finally pick of 13 in progress everyone loves some cage work.

IMG_20160827_091336.jpg

Well it looks like that was a good cage.....not sure about the higher spoiler mount, I don't think it will actually improve the aero to be honest.

Hopefully everyone walked away without injury 

Yea not great, Looks worse in that pic but it actually did its job our seats/heads were untouched and both doors still open/close.

It was a 100km/h 5G impact according to the incar camera and we both walked away without even a bruise thankfully.

It was my attempt at making an S13 ute... 

Edit, Found a better pic.  You wouldn't believe after replacing a couple broken coil wires and removing the guard from the rear wheel I actually drove it off the trailer and onto the hoist to start stripping it.

IMG_20160828_104518.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So tune is now done, picked up the car from Unigroup today.  Now sporting a mean 190rwkW @14psi..:4_joy:

Seriously though very happy with that considering its basic mods, certainly couldn't expect anything more from it and I am keen to test it on the track as it will be a completely different car.

Time to enter a track day..

IMG_20180322_151040.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got out last week finally to do an ARDC practice day at Sydney Motorsport part on the standard circuit.

Car was soo much better with the tune, could actually overtake cars and keep up with them on the straights rather than been left behind all the time.  It was also nice not to hit speed cut down the straight

Before the day I put on some new Federell RSRR tyres and bled the brakes.

Car was good, we had good even tyre wear again and the only issue I had was the rear brakes getting hot but only when I backed off.  If I kept the pace up they were ok for the 5-6 flying laps I was doing each session.  Has to just be a heat thing so I will look at some ducting and remove the backing plates to ensure I get some better airflow in there.  The pads are still only spares from the rally car so aren't a high enough temp rating I think also so will change them out as well.

Got my time down to a 1:51.00 now with a little more to come out of it I think with some more track time.

IMG_20180525_094653.thumb.jpg.aa20cf561aeaef0afd41d404dd8bbb22.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FLN75S said:

The only issue I had was the rear brakes getting hot but only when I backed off.  If I kept the pace up they were ok for the 5-6 flying laps I was doing each session.  Has to just be a heat thing so I will look at some ducting and remove the backing plates to ensure I get some better airflow in there.  The pads are still only spares from the rally car so aren't a high enough temp rating I think also so will change them out as well.

Try Winmax - good gear.

• Like 1