SAU Community

Help Please! V36/g37 - Disconnecting Battery To Remove Drivers Seat.

Hi all,

Looking for some help (have searched)

Im wanting to remove my drivers seat to fix a squeaky lower cushion and have been looking at many writeups regarding needing to disconnect the battery so that I don't set off the airbags or make the airbag light illuminate on the dash cluster.

What I'm not sure about though is what is going to need to be reprogrammed/calibrated after I reconnect the battery once the seat is all back in the car and connected again?

I've been reading about the ECU reset procedure and the automatic window relearn procedure, but i've read conflicting information regarding whether or not I will actually need to reset the ECU or the idle or accelorator or the various other relearn procedures..?

If anyone is able to tell me what will need reprogramming that would be greatly appreciated as I REALLY want to get this right and not cause myself more issues.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

Hi, I recently replaced the battery on my V36 & the only issue was having to do the window re-learn procedure.

I also had to re-do my preset radio stations & seat position memory settings.

Remember to leave the window down a tad on the side your working on so as not to catch the pillar on opening without the window drop functioning.

Everything else was fine, good luck with it.

Cheers.

Hi, I recently replaced the battery on my V36 & the only issue was having to do the window re-learn procedure.

I also had to re-do my preset radio stations & seat position memory settings.

Remember to leave the window down a tad on the side your working on so as not to catch the pillar on opening without the window drop functioning.

Everything else was fine, good luck with it.

Cheers.

Thanks very much for your help!

Out of interest how long did you have the car with no power to it? Just wondering if the other relearn procedures are perhaps required when the battery has been disconnected for a longer period of time compared to say a few minutes to just change the battery?

On the other hand maybe they're more optional and not actually required just because the battery has been disconnected?

i'm sorry but what's this window relearning issue? don't windows just go up and down whenever you want them to?

i'm planning on replacing my air bag cover and the tutorial says i have to disconnect my battery but it said nothing about window relearning

i'm sorry but what's this window relearning issue? don't windows just go up and down whenever you want them to?

i'm planning on replacing my air bag cover and the tutorial says i have to disconnect my battery but it said nothing about window relearning

V35s and V36s windows automatically slide down a few cm when you open the door and then automatically slide up a few cm once you close the door. This allows for the top edge of the window to lock in under the top sil.

If you disconnect the battery with the door closed then go to open the door, the window will not slide down the required amount so you either wont be able to open the door or if you can the window will probably catch - possibly causing damage.. who knows, but I dont want to find out haha.

Anyway so once you disconnect the battery and reconnect it you need to perform the auto window relearn procedure so that it operates correctly again.

Not hard to do, goes something like.. hold window button down until window winds all the way down and keep holding for 5 secs or so afterwards, then hold button up until winds all the way up and keep holding for 5 secs or so afterwards. Should then be fixed.

The exact instructions are online if you want to check, just google/search sau for v36 window relearn procedure :)

It can happen randomly even when changing a battery.

Had the window thing happen to me when I was switching the battery in my old v36. Only about 5 mins between battery change & my windows wound down automatically to 3/4 down & stayed there.

Had to turn my car on & off a few times before the windows decided to start moving again, then did the reset procedure press all the way down & hold for 5 seconds, wind windows all the way up & hold for 5 seconds then they worked fine.

Sometimes you won't even need to do it at all. Technology huh? :)

V35s and V36s windows automatically slide down a few cm when you open the door and then automatically slide up a few cm once you close the door. This allows for the top edge of the window to lock in under the top sil.

If you disconnect the battery with the door closed then go to open the door, the window will not slide down the required amount so you either wont be able to open the door or if you can the window will probably catch - possibly causing damage.. who knows, but I dont want to find out haha.

Anyway so once you disconnect the battery and reconnect it you need to perform the auto window relearn procedure so that it operates correctly again.

Not hard to do, goes something like.. hold window button down until window winds all the way down and keep holding for 5 secs or so afterwards, then hold button up until winds all the way up and keep holding for 5 secs or so afterwards. Should then be fixed.

The exact instructions are online if you want to check, just google/search sau for v36 window relearn procedure :)

thanks for that, i will just leave the door open when disconnecting the battery :)

• 4 years later...
On 04/05/2015 at 2:25 AM, Yo-Yo said:

...Had to turn my car on & off a few times before the windows decided to start moving again, then did the reset procedure press all the way down & hold for 5 seconds, wind windows all the way up & hold for 5 seconds then they worked fine.

I was getting worried.  First time I have had the battery die on my V36, and the window started dropping when the door was opened but not going back up.  Thank goodness for archived old posts here.