SAU Community

Obd2 / Consult / Something To Read Codes?

HI guys - I recently got a Skyline crossover - variously known as a Skyline Crossover, 370GT or Infiniti EX37. Anyway, mine is a J50 (RWD) Japan 2009 model.

I have a couple of cheap OBD2 readers and while they plug in, they can't speak to the car, even with some of the Nissan specific android apps which claim to send a Japan Nissan init string to get some data.

I'd love it if anyone was able to supply details of what SPECIFIC hardware and software combos they have used to get codes out of their 2009(ish) Japan sourced 370GTs. I'm hoping not to spend hundreds of dollars on a consult 4 (and I can't decipher what version of Consult I might need for mine).

Given the price of a service locally (which comprises an engine oil change, oil filter change, inspection of other fluids and brakes, and a code read), I'm keen to get myself a method to read the computer as I'm comfortable with doing the rest of the mechanical work myself.

Links to exact items would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers - Neil G

Consult 3+ or higher is the safe approach. I paid about $1500 or so for mine from Ali Baba, which is an exact replica of the Consult 3+ and comes with the Nissan software. Works great and has been an invaluable tool for me given I once needed to reset my steering angle sensor as well as a few diagnostic trouble codes brought on by my remote starter module. It is only reliable on a Windows XP OS. It is unstable on Windows 7, so unless there's a release newer than v15.12 out there to be downloaded, that's the only downside.

Links etc can be found in another thread in this forum. I'm on a mobile and at work so I'll leave the searching to you.

• Like 1

You specifically need one that can deal with CANBUS. There are a few about, but you need to be a bit lucky, but most of them won't display all the data you need. People have gotten them to work on V36s, but I am not sure what brand units they are. Hopefully they will see this thread.

• Like 1

My 370GT is using a normal Garmin OBD2 dongle to talk to my sat nav for trip computer and error code reading etc... I was lead to belive that these later vehicles are basically Infiniti's and so conform to the international standards, and so do not need Nissan specific codes and software.

Obviously Consult clones are the go for any serious work, but just wanted to make you aware that this Garmin bluetooth global dongle works fine on my skyline.

• Like 1

Not sure with the V36. Buy I just use nissandatascan with my V35. Doesn't do everything, but let's me read and reset ECU, ABS and SRS codes, display lots of data. Not sure about TCU as I have a 6MT. Can also do st-angle adjustment and idle air volume adjustments. Also does immo keys if you know the BCM pin.

Ahhhh. I had a look at NissanDataScan a while ago but it appears that NDS3 is very recent. I'll give that a go. I think between the BT OBD2 things I have one of them is likely to be supported.

Thanks heaps for the reminder. I promise to report back if I have success (or otherwise)

(Still keen for a specific recommendation of hardware - The Garmin datapoint is useful - I'm at work and will look tonight as to whether it's a generic device compatible with non Garmin apps)

Cheers - N

I use a consult3 clone too.

Bought from this seller on Aliexpress, $129US .

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-New-Arrival-Nissan-Consult-3-III-Professional-Diagnostic-Tool-Nissan-Consult-III-Support-Muli-language/1741187697.html

Very cheap and so far functions very well.

Cheers.

Edited by mycarhasposessedme
  • Like 1

^^ I have been looking at these, and wasn't sure if they can do all the consult3 functions or not. Does it let you communicate and work with with all systems like the real consult3 does? (ECU,BCM,TCU,SRS,ABS,etc)?

Being a complete novice with the consult 3 software & the fact that I have not used a genuine consult 3 I'm really not qualified to compare the two.

That said, from my limited use of the unit so far, it does appear to do what the genuine unit can do.

Read the modules, clear codes etc, which i have done with it..

Cheers.

If it can do all the Consult 3+ can do for a 2009 model vehicle, then it seems to be the frugal way to go, considering it only costs 10% of what the 3+ does.

No worries, thanks. I might give it a try then. I just didn't want to spend $200 on an overpriced generic OBD2 reader

Consult3 reads most systems, although mine didn't read the Hicas on the Stagea's for some reason, while other knockoff software does.

Even C3 is telling you that HICAS needs to go :P

• 1 year later...

Whats the go with the OBD2 dongles on ebay? Wifi is Apple only? Android=Bluetooth?. Any suggestions what to buy that works on my V35, as I want to use my ipad mini.

Edited by ZX350

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cheap ebay Bluetooth reader and it works really well. I use the Torque app.

I think I payed $25 delivered

But this is the third one I bought and the first one didn't work at all. Second one work only with the Fj Cruiser.

It is a hit and miss with the cheap ones.

Bluetooth ObdII from jaycar for $70 works well. I use that and ndsIII on my 07 v36. I have tried eBay adapters that don't work.

Edited by Rufus007
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply. A friend went the icar3 with torque using iPhone. Works great. My head unit screen uses Bluetooth. I'm hoping to somehow to get it to display.

Stay tuned.

PS if you buy a used car and don't know the Bluetooth pin code? Try either 1234 or 0000.

• 3 weeks later...