SAU Community

Wantgtr - Now Have One! Bnr32

1 hour ago, Robzilla32 said:

The factory mesh looks so crisp and clean on your car. Is it new or did you clean it up? If the latter, what did you clean it with?

Cheers

Rob

i bought the mesh second hand actually, the coating on it was peeling a bit so i peeled off whatever wasnt secure. primed it up and painted it with satin finish black paint from a spray can. i put stacks of coats on so its nice and thick. probably looks so 'crisp' because i polished up the end tanks on the cooler before i refitted the bumper. 

dont know how everyone else does it but my bar is a mission to take off. i still have the factory brake ducts, guard liners fitted, bolts for the lip as well as everywhere else. basically to fit the mesh its a bumper off job. not something i really want to do too often.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, mr_rbman said:

some people rebuild before failure...

Yeah for sure, unfortunately not the case here. Not going overboard here anyway. Tidy it up and put it back together.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, okooko said:

hope the rebuild is going well, any updates?

Hiya! Progress has been slow. I have sorted out the clutch thankfully. I bought a nismo twin plate c spec in the pull type. I didnt check my current setup which was a push type.

I contacted rhdjapan and they wanted a 35% restocking fee plus freight. If you know what these clutches are worth, you can do the math. I had a small heart attack lol.

I called a couple of local retailers to see if they wanted to swap for the correct type but i knew it was a long shot. Its like buying from woolworths and returning it to coles. Luckily the yodas on here gave me the right advice. Turns out i do have a pull type box which was converted to push.

I ended up getting what i needed from Skyline Spares at a bargain. Spent one night draining the box fluid, changing front cover and installed fork and slave.

Also recieved nismo engine mounts, because why not.

2017-04-09_05-59-212017-04-09_05-59-54

I dropped the clutch kit off at the workshop because they need to balance the flywheel to the crank but I haven't been passed in a couple weeks. I dare say the motor is back from machining by now.

Basically, engine is staying 2.6 with a decent bottom end and headservice with cams.

Apart from that i am in cleaning mode! I stripped the paint off the inlet manifold and i was unsure weather to polish this. I am reluctant to paint it because it marks so easily. Ill post up pics but after stripping it and cleaning up with a wire brush by hand it didnt turn put too bad. I figure ill keep it a 'natural' finish.

Im thinking glass black for the engine covers. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I personally like the stock black non-gloss texture, even if I did a rebuild, I'd at most redo it in the same color.

Revisited this thread as i remembered you made some comments around putting the C Pillars which i started tonight after taking out all my seats and giving the carpet a good clean. no coins or anything just crumbs possible KFC or maccas...

this thread made me wana do stuff haha - cheers for that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, okooko said:

I personally like the stock black non-gloss texture, even if I did a rebuild, I'd at most redo it in the same color.

Revisited this thread as i remembered you made some comments around putting the C Pillars which i started tonight after taking out all my seats and giving the carpet a good clean. no coins or anything just crumbs possible KFC or maccas...

this thread made me wana do stuff haha - cheers for that

I dont mind the finish on the stock covers either but with the motor apart i figure ill give them a refresh. While thw bay is empty i have given it a good scrub and got rid of 20 years worth of crud. Looks so much better. There are a few marks and scratches from general wear and tear but i wont be repainting the bay. Apart from the added cost i fear the bay will end up too neat and i will be way to pedantic everytime i work on it. 

In addition to cleaning parts i cleaned and retaped the engine loom. Its hardly noticeable but its easy to do and the finish product looks a lot better than old cracked or oily loom.

As for the engine covers, gloss black is like an oem+ option i think. Candy red is over done imo.

Have you finished installed the c pillars and bask in the sexiness of them? I think they really highlight the tidyness because you can see them delaminating from the outside which makes a good car look rough 

• Like 1

I'd likely paint the engine bay while I'm at it just like refreshing the covers but I'm not sure the costs or the existing condition of your engine bay.

Don't think candy red is a color you'd redo your stock covers in. rather something you get from a 34 motor. the 'RB26' lettering is slightly different on the 34 motors - slightly thinner.

I only got around to pulling the left one off, breaking every single clip from the existing one... I'll chuck on the new ones this weekend hopefully.

Wouldn't mind giving the seats steam clean but probably won't get time to before they go back in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, okooko said:

I'd likely paint the engine bay while I'm at it just like refreshing the covers but I'm not sure the costs or the existing condition of your engine bay.

Don't think candy red is a color you'd redo your stock covers in. rather something you get from a 34 motor. the 'RB26' lettering is slightly different on the 34 motors - slightly thinner.

I only got around to pulling the left one off, breaking every single clip from the existing one... I'll chuck on the new ones this weekend hopefully.

Wouldn't mind giving the seats steam clean but probably won't get time to before they go back in

Yes i beleive the 34 timing cover is plastic and yes it does have a different font.

Out with the old!!! So satisfying sticking the old ones in the bin! I have had the seats steam cleaned before. Takes about 10 mins to take the front and rear seats out. Because there are no electrics on the seats you can get right in there with the cleaning. 

• Like 1

havent had much daylight recently only getting 30mins to do stuff after work and before its dark

drivers weatherstrip is off, the old one had a torn corner. my retainers are decent enough not to warrant a new set.

surprised how the window inner/outer mouldings, weatherstrips and retainers are about 2k all up... only replace when broken haha and very selectively too...

yeah its a quick job pulling the seats out/in again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-20 at 0:59 AM, okooko said:

havent had much daylight recently only getting 30mins to do stuff after work and before its dark

drivers weatherstrip is off, the old one had a torn corner. my retainers are decent enough not to warrant a new set.

surprised how the window inner/outer mouldings, weatherstrips and retainers are about 2k all up... only replace when broken haha and very selectively too...

yeah its a quick job pulling the seats out/in again.

I think everything ive done in the car has been at night. Its a major pain in the ass.

Small progress. Block is back from machining. Looks great. Will make for a pretty coffee table :P

IMG_20170608_162502_448

At the moment im just wiring up a few sensors for the haltech. Has anyone moved the fuel filter to the rear of the car?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So im using ahaltech pro plug in plus io box. Wired up the io box last night. Blue led light stays on when power is on, no red led on io box.

Haltechs leds do not light up at all. Is this normal?

Theres no engine in the car and when i turn the key i dont even have reds. Yet to plug the laptop in. 

Im thinking because there are a stack of earths not connected in the engine bay there are a range of open circuits. Am i wrong?

Edited by WantGTR

• 1 month later...

Those engine covers are temporary. These babies are keep safe and wrapped up till the end...

20170628_195842

Mines cam baffles and 12an breathers fitted.

Need to order a new coilpack ornament cover. Might as well get new bolts. These covers have cost a small fortune on their own.

• Like 2

20170805_223011

Stock paper gaskets are being replaced with nitto items. These are fantastic quality.

I opted for a justjap heater hose kit. I know threads on here recommend oem hoses but these look way tougher than stock. Justjap have been selling these kits for years, i figure they cant be that bad. Lol

• Like 2