SAU Community

Living With An R33 Gtst

So I bought a 1996 Nissan Skyline R33 in October last year and thought you know I'm going to enjoy the car as it is and slowly upgrade/fix things.

For those looking for a car with massive amounts of power, this is not the build for you. This is for those who are like me (i'm sure you exist) who are happy with their stock car, and spend time washing, polishing, fixing things and just enjoying the car for what it is.

I am an engineering student and also work part time which funds my car therefore everything is small and restricted. Many of you thinking, why bother with a build thread. My reply is because I can and why not. I have been reading other peoples threads and it has inspired me to start my own.

Also I lost most of my pictures since October and am working on recovering them.

So without further ado, here goes.

This is my first car. I saved up for 2 years working on weekends to buy this. After a year of searching and finding all sorts of shit cars which had been modified, i found this bone stock Series 2 R33 GTST. The only thing upgraded was the audio and the wheels. I have the standard wheels sitting too just in case I need em one day. with ~158,000 kms (more on this later). I absolutely love it. I'm obsessed with cleaning it and my first aim was to fix everything that was not working or not working 100%. So the last 8 months have been small upgrades and improving things in the car.

This is a picture of the day it came home.

WP_20141010_15_20_37_Pro_zpsbfzagy9w.jpg

Instantly I decided it was time for a wash and a drive and photoshoot.

R33_zpsiv4a7wj7.jpg

R33-1_zpseryfpko4.jpg

• Like 2

I absolutely love build threads. so good on you buddy. i can spend hours on here searching up build threads i wish more people did it. especially for R33s as R33 are my favourite skyline.

What upgrades have you done so far mate??? looks nice and clean.

• Like 1

Thread just got approved...sweet.

The car is really clean. Best thing is its stock which the inspection mechanic could not believe.

So as of now its been a lot of fixing things.

List is as follows:

> Full service because previous owner was not taking care of his car very well (including fuel filter, O2 sensor etc.)

> Changed front and rear rotors and brake pads

> Waste gate solenoid earthing mod

> Change blown gauge, air-con and interior bulbs

> Also changed the boot and number plate bulbs to white LED's
> Replaced the gear and handbrake boots
> Painted windscreen wiper stalks ( they require new paint so will be doing that soon)

Pic of old O2 sensor once removed vs the new one.

WP_20150215_11_33_48_Pro_zpshsfwgo0o.jpg

Edited by shubby0901

All was going to plan when on day, my mum not used to my car being parked in the garage backed into the drivers side door. I would have pictures but am unable to find them, will keep searching.

"Crash" was low speed but needed complete new door so that took a decent chunk of unplanned money out of my account.

I also got sick of water in the boot so decided to investigate. To those who have leaky boots, don't take people on here's word that lights leak. Although they may be the most common factor, I had leaks in the joints in the boot which was easily seen by the runs and rust spots. So took one evening to climb in and use a whole tube of bathroom sealant and seal everything I could see leaking.

10629277_10202705031422062_2862506765676

I aim to buy one thing for the car every week and install it so this will be a slow and steady process.

The title of the thread is "Living with an R33" so I would like to mention how feel living with this car.

1) Its awesome. The car is so mechanical and pure. You do everything to drive whether its low speed or high speed, everything is just so much fun. I learnt to drive on Corollas and Civics so this is completely different so so much fun.

2) It gets attention whether you like it or not, no matter how stock it is. I've lost the number of times I see people trying to race me at the lights or just looking and admiring (I hope)

3) Its expensive. Fuel is expensive, parts are expensive. It just needs to be taken care of. And if you are like me, you'll spend a lot of money on cleaning supplies....

4) Its not practical. I always say, space is a premium. Glove box is too small. Centre console is too small. boot is too small. Car is massive. Yet I love it.

5) Kind of contradicts previous point, but you can go on surf trips with it ;)

10854489_10202067502124228_1259039919913

Oh did I mention...I got a speeding ticket for over $1000...yeah that caused no upgrades being bought for a month for the car.

I must say though, these tickets....they work. I now ensure I am not speeding and have installed a satnav unit that screams at me if I do. Never again...

Edited by shubby0901

I've got a budget of around $150 for this week (Long weekend working hours). What do people recommend is worth doing? Note all recommendations are considered even if they are not implemented.

I was thinking of installing a front strut bar. I want to buy a GTR wing but don't see anyone selling one at the moment so that might have to wait.

Edited by shubby0901

I'm in the same kinda boat. Not really interested in chasing massive power and fixing all the stuff that will inevitably break while chasing that power. Also dont want my car sitting in workshops and being a guinea pig for shops owners at my expense, prefer to do as much as I can on my own

Good thread dude keep it going

its always like that, it starts off being " just wanna keep this standard and enjoy it", later it be like " this is sooo slow, need to get me some powahhh's" lol :P

My advice is to ditch the stock turbo asap.. having the stock turbo is like being on a date with a hot chick and you have to hold in farts all night, so strap a GT3076 on and release all that pressure :laugh:

Edited by AngryRB

They don't help much on a skyline. On a car with McPherson struts they offer a bit more rigidity.

Spend $30 on a TurboTech MBC and boost it to 10psi.

Heard this before therefore not done it. Might look at increasing boost as its simple, might also have to look at getting a boost gauge.

As if you didn't get your mum to pay for the door!

As above, raise boost slightly. Thrash car. Save money .

I live at home with my parents who pay my uni fees along with a lot of other things (although everything to do with the car is completely mine). I try and make it up to them by doing whatever I can whenever I can. :rolleyes:

its always like that, it starts off being " just wanna keep this standard and enjoy it", later it be like " this is sooo slow, need to get me some powahhh's" lol :P

My advice is to ditch the stock turbo asap.. having the stock turbo is like being on a date with a hot chick and you have to hold in farts all night, so strap a GT3076 on and release all that pressure :laugh:

Start off like that, been a few months. Now looking at small upgrades.

Would look at bigger turbo but the costs are a bit too much now. It might show up further down the line.

Car's looking good, If your on a budget maybe just get it sounding good, can pick up a jap exhaust for couple hundred, make sure its jasma rated rear muffler to not draw attention from popo.. and can then just enjoy driving it instead of having car off road, mine been off road for over 12months... :unsure:

I have plans for an exhaust and a new ECU down the line, they cost a bit more so I'm doing the smaller things first.

The rainy season is upon us therefore I thought its a good time to seal all the leaky bits. Out came the bathroom sealant.

One big place I saw that had an issue with leaking was the windshield where it met the body of the car. Although it had no significant effect, I thought I might as well seal it up.
WP_20150522_16_00_32_Pro_zpsky09aipv.jpg

This side was tricky as the rubber is slowly coming out. I did the sealing a couple of days ago and already another gap has formed.

WP_20150522_16_00_58_Pro_zpss3vtcfu2.jpg

Might need to visit a windshield place and get new seals put in.

Also noticed moisture in one of the rear lights. I tried to get access to the indicator section but was unsuccessful. So I jacket the car up and made the pool of water flow to the reversing lights section where I could shove some tissues inside and absorb the water. Its not completely dry but at least there is no standing water in the light housing.

WP_20150522_16_00_42_Pro_zpsh3nasj4i.jpg

WP_20150522_16_18_09_Pro_zpsji1lwpcp.jpg

Awesome man, great thread and writing it up well, Keen to follow :yes:

Looks like a nice example.

I am in a similar mind set, have had my 33 for 2 years now and still happy with 180rwkw, mostly stock and trouble free. Would like more, but cost to do it properly and then deal with the extra defectability, I'm not too fussed. I enjoy the car as it is, it does everything i want it to.

An alternative to a MBC is just to get a wastegate actuator from an R32 to put in (its 10psi), no need for any boost controller then so you wont get defected if cops look under the hood.

If you want to catch up for a chat and some pics and a cruise whatever let me know. Always good to meet fellow enthusiasts.

Dont bother with that windscreen seal, its just a piece of plastic that covers a part of the glass and the wiper bits, doesn't actually seal much. The glass is still properly sealed under the plastic

Time to take the taillights out and reseal them.

Only way to do it properly, it's common with R33's to have it.

Yeah but I thought of doing a quick fix. When I have some time when the car can be off the road, ill take them out and do them properly.

Awesome man, great thread and writing it up well, Keen to follow :yes:

Looks like a nice example.

I am in a similar mind set, have had my 33 for 2 years now and still happy with 180rwkw, mostly stock and trouble free. Would like more, but cost to do it properly and then deal with the extra defectability, I'm not too fussed. I enjoy the car as it is, it does everything i want it to.

An alternative to a MBC is just to get a wastegate actuator from an R32 to put in (its 10psi), no need for any boost controller then so you wont get defected if cops look under the hood.

If you want to catch up for a chat and some pics and a cruise whatever let me know. Always good to meet fellow enthusiasts.

Thanks. I just thought I do stuff to the car so might aswell write it up.

Yeah defects are a pain in the ass. Trying to keep it subtle yet still cool.

I have looked into those R32 actuators and how they're a direct fit. Its just a matter of sourcing one, I have my eyes peeled for one. Im on the Adelaide Skylines page so hoping someone lists one there as I find most wreckers excessively expensive.

Dont bother with that windscreen seal, its just a piece of plastic that covers a part of the glass and the wiper bits, doesn't actually seal much. The glass is still properly sealed under the plastic

Yeah I thought this might be the case but can never be too sure. Also it looks nicer all sealed up although I dunno how 'nice' my silicone thing looks. You cant really tell its there unless you know what you're looking for.

Good thread man Im thinking of starting one myself! I especially like reading the ones for cars like this that are street spec and being kept in daily-able condition.

Thanks. You should start one. Its actually pretty fun, especially when you realise people actually read what you write up.

Yeah my car is driven daily to uni and work so things like ride and fuel economy are crucial considerations.