SAU Community

Living With An R33 Gtst

So its the time of the semester where every assignment is due, also exams are coming up so time spent on car has rediced significantly.

After submitting a major assignment today, I thought i need a break.

I bought some GKTech 50mm long black wheel nuts and came home to find my steering wheel cover delivered.

So first were the wheel nuts.

WP_20150529_14_55_03_Pro_zps5vf1smgn.jpg

Wheel nuts installed. I think they look much better than the short silver ones.

Then 2 hours of this:

WP_20150529_15_59_06_Pro_zpsvr7puz7c.jpg

I ended up with this:

WP_20150529_16_38_22_Pro_zpsjhumkf1k.jpg

Looking at ^ picture, it would have been a smart idea to move the seam of the leather joining to the top of the wheel. Make it like a center point marker thingy.

WP_20150529_16_38_36_Pro_zps55prnyqn.jpg

Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Not bad for a $3.64 investment.
Link of cover below:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171738984046?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by shubby0901
  • Like 1

Take off the whole cowling, plastic piece infront of windscreen under wiper arms, clean off silicon remove old dry rubber piece and respray plastic with proper plastic paint, looks thousand times better just likenew again

Then 2 hours of this:

WP_20150529_15_59_06_Pro_zpsvr7puz7c.jpg

I ended up with this:

WP_20150529_16_38_22_Pro_zpsjhumkf1k.jpg

Looking at ^ picture, it would have been a smart idea to move the seam of the leather joining to the top of the wheel. Make it like a center point marker thingy.

WP_20150529_16_38_36_Pro_zps55prnyqn.jpg

Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Not bad for a $3.64 investment.

Link of cover below:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171738984046?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Little things like this is why all build threads help the community! It's not always about a million killerwasps!!

Keep up the good work and posts!

PS. i totally ordered one of these :whistling:

Little things like this is why all build threads help the community! It's not always about a million killerwasps!!

Keep up the good work and posts!

PS. i totally ordered one of these :whistling:

Good luck, hopefully yours turns out just as well.

Two things to note:

1) Make sure the thread doesn't get tangled, I had to cut mine in half because it got caught in the seat belt clip thing next to the seat

2) Make the seam so its at the top or bottom of the wheel, I reckon itll look much better.

Small things, one by one making the car just a nicer place to be in (although its already awesome)

The title of the thread is "Living with an R33" so I would like to mention how feel living with this car.

1) Its awesome. The car is so mechanical and pure. You do everything to drive whether its low speed or high speed, everything is just so much fun. I learnt to drive on Corollas and Civics so this is completely different so so much fun.

2) It gets attention whether you like it or not, no matter how stock it is. I've lost the number of times I see people trying to race me at the lights or just looking and admiring (I hope)

3) Its expensive. Fuel is expensive, parts are expensive. It just needs to be taken care of. And if you are like me, you'll spend a lot of money on cleaning supplies....

4) Its not practical. I always say, space is a premium. Glove box is too small. Centre console is too small. boot is too small. Car is massive. Yet I love it.

5) Kind of contradicts previous point, but you can go on surf trips with it ;)

10854489_10202067502124228_1259039919913

And snow trips ;)post-25026-0-26814300-1433023393_thumb.jpg

Who knew spoilers were so useful! So much extra downforce....

Quick update, I bought myself a very nice expensive camera lens so car mods are on hold for a bit. Next thing is changing the alternator/aircon/power steering belts...one of them screech so it would be safe to assume all of them are aging..now to find somewhere to buy belts...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Work on car has been slow. Exams are coming so I don't have too much time to even drive it..forget working on it.

But to break the chain, today I bought and installed a set of bonnet dampers. They were actually for an R34 but fit on mine perfectly. Apparently the guy had bought them through a group buy on here earlier but never got a chance to install them.

Hood%20damper_zps4rcme7pm.jpg

Actually installing them was a piece of cake. In the process of installation, I somehow dropped the 10mm socket behind the headlight...that was fun get out. Only took like an hour and half.

The only issue I got when installing was I installed the bonnet brackets wrong. Pics below. Short explanation, I installed the right and left brackets facing the car. Actually the plates need to be swapped around, therefore right and left facing away from the car. (DUHH) :wacko:

Installation in process. The bonnet opens wayyyy further than the standard amount using the stick thing therefore expandable broomsticks are a must. (Note: Plates are wrong in this picture)

_MG_8619_zpskppsbgqo.jpg

Install should look like this

_MG_8640_zpsonaylwum.jpg

Not like this

_MG_8636_zps2mwkcyux.jpg

Other component is the fender ball (Note: Plate is wrong in this picture too)

_MG_8622_zpszrz6s2ev.jpg

Edited by shubby0901

Has anyone replaced their windscreen washer jets with something with a better spray pattern? Im looking for something the same size or bigger so there are no holes around the jets

Finished exams so thought I should have a celebratory car engine bay cleaning session. So I bought a 5L bottle of Degreaser, couple of spray bottles and a paint brush and got to work.

WP_20150703_12_11_32_Pro_zpsjjsbmrya.jpg

Below are some before and after shots. I started and half an hour later what you see in the after shots is what I ended up with....not much different. So I gave up and am now thinking about what I can remove/move/paint to make it all look cleaner.

Before:

WP_20150703_12_25_27_Pro_zpsgp7tfco7.jpg

After:

WP_20150703_12_11_07_Pro_zpsnfi9dahk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What's a fender ball? What does it do?

Thats the ball part of the ball joint for the other side of the hinge. It screws into the fender therefore fender ball.

No updates since I was in Japan for last few weeks, hopefully more updates coming soon.

Latest project i have started is painting all the wheels. As of now, theyve been washed and sanding materials and primers bought. Sanding starts tomorrow. I will post pics as I go along, hopefully they come out decent.

Still havn't decided on a colour though, swaying towards white again.

Fresh silver could look good?

In saying that, a fresh coat of white would look good too!

Not sure about silver, although it would look good, just doesnt do it for me.

Anyway started the process. Progress pics below. Doing it in sets of 2 at the moment as it is limited by space.

Washed up ready for masking

WP_20150722_17_26_06_Pro_zpsh4wdoxqy.jpg

Masked up ready for priming (Sanded the rims after masking but before priming)

_MG_0369_zpsqwrh1pkl.jpg

Primed up ready for sanding and then re-priming:

(Don't judge my noob painting skills. Also the insides will get primer, at the moment i've only sprayed the outside with primer filler, insides will get etch primer)

_MG_0382_zpsp02ilyvg.jpg

Uni starts tomorrow so further progress is time permitting.

Also im digging the primer colour, thinking about painting it so it comes out that colour with a matt finish.

Edited by shubby0901

• 3 weeks later...

So all the wheels are primed up. Got a set of blank center caps which need to be primed and painted. Haven't got a chance to go and get some paint made, thats next on the list.

In the meantime, I got my hands on a GTR type spoiler.

Car went from this

20150811_121329_zpslm5srkhm.jpg

to this

20150811_125055_zpsrjls0dw1.jpg

Looks really good. Another thing off the list.

Edited by shubby0901