SAU Community

Living With An R33 Gtst

On 12/9/2016 at 7:47 PM, Sklyn said:

R32 actuator should not be getting you more than about 11 psi on its own. If you cant/dont have/want to install an aftermarket gauge you could plug into the OBD port and check on your phone. I have one if you want to catch up and give it a whirl. (Assuming its an OBD2 port which i think they are)

Was it doing it before the new plugs went in? Loose plug/connection maybe.

Yeah this is what I thought too. I am going to setup a temporary boost gauge to properly monitor it but I have a feeling there are a few issues, firstly maybe my turbo is on its last legs as it makes a very weird sound when under boost, secondly, I think the ECU is going into R&R mode at max boost. I dont have an OBD port, I believe it is a nissan consult port?
Was misfiring before, changed plugs because it was doing it and is still misfiring.

In other news, Me and a mate went to Matsuri 10/10 in Adelaide and while driving there at 110kmph, my right side fender liner decided it didnt want to be a part of the car anymore and ended almost completely dislodging (held by 1 plastic clip). A part of it was held on by a screw installed by someone at some point which decided its new home would be in my tyre. Luckily, I was able to get the puncture repaired at the race track by the guys who were changing tires for the drifters. 

On the way back, my left side fender liner decided it felt alone without the left side and to leave the car but wasnt able to due to 1 plastic clip, again at 110kmph. I ended up ripping it off on the way home. Now need to fix another issue with this car that is starting to get on my nerves...

Remains of liners:

15390775_10205693038200364_5802707164742276335_n.jpg

Screw in tyre:

15350486_10205693038360368_4818768337925659322_n.jpg

sounds like an exciting day! Thats not too bad for a track day, could have been A LOT worse.

That's skyline life, always something to fix/mod, thats why we love em =)

yeah, had a bit of a google, seems it has the consult port, so maybe price up getting ecutalk and cable. If you still have the old actuator in working order maybe put it back on and see what happens at low boost. Could try borrowing a known good working coilpack and 1 by 1 changing it with yours to ensure they are all working properly.

Uner boost, is it like a faint whistle? and worse when its cold? Mine used to do this and i came to the conclusion it was the gasket starting to go on the turbo.

3 hours ago, Sklyn said:

sounds like an exciting day! Thats not too bad for a track day, could have been A LOT worse.

That's skyline life, always something to fix/mod, thats why we love em =)

yeah, had a bit of a google, seems it has the consult port, so maybe price up getting ecutalk and cable. If you still have the old actuator in working order maybe put it back on and see what happens at low boost. Could try borrowing a known good working coilpack and 1 by 1 changing it with yours to ensure they are all working properly.

Uner boost, is it like a faint whistle? and worse when its cold? Mine used to do this and i came to the conclusion it was the gasket starting to go on the turbo.

Well...I wasnt actually on the track. We just went to watch, cars not yet ready for track work.

I do still have the old actuator. I was planning on chucking it on and seeing what happens today.

Under boost, it sounds normal then suddenly gets really loud like there is heaps of air escaping from somewhere, almost like a boost leak but not sure where it is.

So I installed the stock R33 Wastegate actuator and car runs fine all gears all the way upto redline. Therefore, plugs/coils were not cause of misfiring feeling so I have a feeling car was going into R&R mode. Boost is lower than before which is not great but the car is working so no complaints.

Will look at what to do to make more power in a few months.

Just now, GTofuS-T said:

ECU ;) 

Yep, I have a strong feeling my turbo was not liking the extra boost either. Will be looking at highflow + nistune. Need to find costs/time it takes etc. Anyone on here using a stock R33 Turbo thats been highflowed with a nistune? Whats your experience with it like?

To nistune an R33 you need to use either an R32 or Z32 ecu. The R33 ecu doesn't like to play ball with it. So options are to source 1 of those and have nistuned or see what else is available second hand for reasonable money or go all out and buy a new modern ecu. Hypergear highflows are pretty good performers. Expect between 240 and 270rwkw on 98 and up to 320 on e85. With all supporting mods obviously. There are plenty of other more modern turbo options but the dollars required are vastly more. You will also need bigger injectors to make full use of a highflow.

@shubby0901 go have a chat to Decs or Gavin at Garage7 (or call them (08) 8294 9638 ), they will be able to point you in the right direction where it is to go Nistune on Links ECU, they will be able to provide you a price on building a nistune (may have one there in stock) tuning etc.

Edited by Coullsy
dodgy spelling

If you guys need Nistunes I have a tuner license, this means I can get boards/installation done by Matt @ Nistune much cheaper than others [emoji4]

What's the go for R33 these days. Still need to use R32/z32 ecu?

21 minutes ago, admS15 said:

What's the go for R33 these days. Still need to use R32/z32 ecu?

Yep.. I believe R32 is preferred to retain VCT?

56 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

If you guys need Nistunes I have a tuner license, this means I can get boards/installation done by Matt @ Nistune much cheaper than others :)

it's tempting, but it also seems like just a dirty hack

Sadly there was development going on but it seems like illness and funds got in the way http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2708&p=24205&hilit=R33#p24205

I would use the R32 ECU over the Z32 ECU as it's more like for like..

Using the green led output to control the VCT OR the AC output (depending vehicle application).

Yes people think the Nistune is a "hack" yet it has more features than a PowerFC, Microguess, etc. For less than a PowerFC you get:

• Full flex, with scaling
  • Boost by ethanol content
  • Launch control
  • Basic engine protection strategies (coolant temp vs. engine RPM)

Not to mention it runs flawlessly... all it needs is wideband o2 feedback and it's the perfect street ecu.

• Like 2

Cheers for all the replies. The Nistune seems like it does everything well.  I am quite interested in the Launch Control because....reasons...:10_wink:. Also its way cheaper than anything else. No plans for fuel flex atm, maybe in the future.

I've had a chat with the guys from Garage7 a while ago, they recommended a R32 ECU. Will talk properly again closer to when I start to find/install parts. I am curious how the R34 Side mount performs when tuned. 

My plan for engine is as follows:

1) Exhaust dump/cat replacement to match catback
2a) Injectors (Not sure of size, I know you can get various Nismo ones)
2b) Nistune
2c) Highflow turbo

Other stuff on car needs to be changed/upgraded as well. One day, it will be finished, I have faith.

Edited by shubby0901

Since your not going e85, you can make do with stock s15 440cc injectors. They can be had cheap, fit straight in and will have excellent factory idle and economy. You will most probably need a z32 afm as well. Would be a good idea to upgrade to a fmic. A return flow is a legal option and will be much better than the 34 smic. My 2c

R34 sidemount is too small, yes people have said "it works" I made xyz power blah blah.. but, go measure the IAT and I'm sure it's not ideal especially for E85.

If the R34 sidemount is a must, I would install a cooling fan on top and trigger it by boost.. so once the turbo makes +ve pressure, kick on the cooling fan... pretty simple to do

Get a boost gauge with alarm/alert.. set the alarm to go off at 1+ psi , connect the output to a relay, then to the cooling fan..

run S15 injectors and bump up the base fuel pressure to 3.5bar using a good FPR such as a Turbosmart FPR 1200

The turbosmart fpr 1200's are around $270 on ebay, on top of the price of the s15 injectors. So wouldnt it just be easier and similiar price to get nismo 550s?