SAU Community

On-line Racing

MozzMann

raced the BMW 320 Turbo today in Project Cars, man such a fun car. crank up the boost to 2.6 bar and let it loose. got the ol' skool no-power-till-6grand kind of turbo.

(turn up the quality)

love a bit of dirty overtaking ;)

To a point anon as I am some oythers are working on several things , for Asseto including the Aussie V8's AND Aussie tracks ,

I can't even find where to but assetto corsa such a retard.

If I find it how do I get to use the tracks and cars you or others make?

They are redesigned and modified specifically to suit a particular Sim and are easily added as long as you understand the directory structure and follow the Info Text file.

I can get on TS if you like to give you a hand with rFactor, GSC, Assetto still learning what makes PC tick .

• 4 weeks later...

Via Steam is probably the best choice , because if your PC screws up you can rebuild your installations easily ,

Teamspeak is available with the SAU room mentioned elsewhere in these gameing threads .

got lucky, bought a new gaming laptop and reloaded PCars only to learn that the savegame does not travel to the steam cloudstore.
luckily for me i removed my old ssd cdrive and could recover the folder. there was no way i was doing the damn 24hour again.

Built with a budget but I suspect you might struggle with higher end Racing simulations such as Assetto Corsa and Project Cars unfortunately.

What Graphics Card ?? I know that there is on board graphics but that is for the Office for good gaming experience you have no choice but to invest in a good PCIe Graphics card.

Some AMD Chips run pretty hot and for the cost of it I'd have gone to something like a Corsair H80 or H100 Liquid Cooling, draw cool Air into the case near the floor and channel this through the case to ventilate it and remove as much heat as possible by air flow, IMHO there is no substitute for Airflow

The HDD you have selected is adequate for your needs but a relatively slow one at that even though it is SATA 3, and your only using one HDD ???

IMHO you should be using no less than 3 HDD's or more for general programs etc and an SSD for the OS .

Basic layout might be something like that listed below

1 OS should be on a 60Gb/120Gb SSD and ONLY the OS

This requires installing the OS and then editing the registry externally in Safe Mode so the default location of your User folder and the default location for your Program Files is on other drive's and NOT C:\ .

2 All other programs are installed something as follows

D;\ For your User Folder and Documents
E;\ For general Programs and Applications
F:\ Being a 500Gb 10,000 rpm Gaming drive so you have some decent speed of I/O .

G:\ Being a 500Gb 10,000 rpm Gaming drive so you have some decent speed of I/O.
H:\ A Caddy for removable Large HDD used for creating Images or Backup's of you installations.

( The reason behind divorcing the OS from everything else is 1 it is faster and 2 it greatly protects your installed programs from loss of data should your OS fail and eventually it will.
So if you back up your C:\ ie your OS regularly to an internal caddy removable backup drive the heart of your system can be protected with minimal loss of Data )

HDD Caddy fitted to the system and you insert a backup drive and image your C:\ and D:\
Storage and backup space is cheap,

What OS ? 32 or 64 Bit you didn't say and IMHO I'd not install Windows 8 for gaming. it is NOT flexible enough to allow custom installations and designed primarily as a Multimedia platform.

Cheers for reply yea was more a budget work computer just wanted to know if it would run games.

Yes the ssd was for OS, no graphics card atm but if the rest isn't good enough I won't even bother and just at a later date upgrade it or build another I guess. But sounds like almost everything must be changed for it

Not necessarily , but that's how I build my systems , and why I separate the OS from everything else and make images of the OS ,

That system would likely run OK for rFactor and Game stock car but I think you would need a high end graphics card for serious gaming simply due to the complexity of the graphics texturing but more so because the computing power is done by a GPU Graphics Processor Unit freeing up a LOT of CPU cycle time to run the mathematical calculations needed.

Suck it and see would be my advice as many games have a trial, to test your machine's capability.

raced the BMW 320 Turbo today in Project Cars, man such a fun car. crank up the boost to 2.6 bar and let it loose. got the ol' skool no-power-till-6grand kind of turbo.

(turn up the quality)

The BAC mono is another fun car to drive, can hold some good power slides.

Edited by HR31_RB20DET

• 2 weeks later...

which sim has the biggest list of aussie tracks? Prefer scanned tracks but mods will do also.

It would be hard to beat rfactor for sheer number. If you can get past the ageing graphics its still one of the best sims, especially with the realfeel FFB plugin.

Exactly. I listed 20 aussie tracks off the top of my head - I'm sure there are more that I forgot about. Ageing graphics don't bother me. I can see where I'm going, can use the car's gauges to give me vital info, personally I don't need any more bling than that (and my Dell laptop won't run anything much more graphics intensive than that anyway)

Realfeel is good, but takes a bit of setting up to get it feeling right