SAU Community

Brand New Brakes Squealing?

The brake pads on my r33 gtst series 2 have been replaced with bendix ultimate pads. They work fine how ever the make a horrible noise when coming to slow stops. I have put anti squeal on the rear of the pads but it done absolutely nothing! The rotors are fine. When I was taking the caliper off the driver side I used a little to much force on the spanner and it bent the brake line inlet into the caliper, surely that wouldn't be the problem would it? Help!!?

I have ultimates on my r32 gtr and have the same problem... My mate had them on his ceffie, same problem... I'm no expert on brakes which doesn't help... but if you find a solution that works in your application, Id be interested to hear it!

I disagree, they are not crap. I used multiple sets over many years of hard street/light track use. They don't necessarily squeal (of course no manufacturer would knowingly release a product that couldn't be used). They are nasty for dust though....

Squealing happens because of high frequency vibration. You need to make sure all the surfaces are super clean (use brake cleaner generously). Ensure the surface between the hub and disc is free from rust so the disc sits flat. Ensure the caliper mounting to the hub is clean and straight. Make sure you have the anti rattle shims and that they are very clean on both sides too.

And like Ravi said, try bedding them in again. How did you do it the first time? Are the discs new, old but machined or just old?

I didn't research before I bought them, it does seem there are other people having the same problem with them. Apparently they do stop when they get up to temperature but I don't brake hard all the time so they never do. I have cleaned absolutely everything it's driving me insane. I've tried bedding them in multiple times, 60-0; 80-0; 100-0; 120-0. They are on the old unmachined rotors too, although they look and feel fine. It's only the front brakes to might I add.

Please tell me you a) looked up squeely brakes and b) have shims with those pads.

As have been said in every bloody thread regarding brake squeal.

Rub face of brakes

Machine rotors (get new ones if yours are ratty)

Bed them in properly

Do you have shims????!!!!

Oh you do?

Get different brake pads

Still no good?

Do you have the retaining spring on top of the brakes holding the pads down?

Did you check to see if your caliper bolts are tight?

Get them rebuilt

Posting on here was last resort. I've read everything it could possibly be. I never researched the pads before I bought them. I think it's just the pads from what I've read about them. Looks like I'll be buying new ones! But not before doing some research on them haha. Thanks guys!

Posting on here was last resort. I've read everything it could possibly be. I never researched the pads before I bought them. I think it's just the pads from what I've read about them. Looks like I'll be buying new ones! But not before doing some research on them haha. Thanks guys!

Scrub the surface again and re-bed them in.

what methods would you guys use for bedding in brakes?

go to 80km, hard brake without lock up down to 20km

repeat 6-8 times

let cool overnight?

Not quite. Drive it around getting faster and braking harder until they are nice and warm then do the multiple medium speed to slow speed stops routine above. Then cruise them around to cool off. Then do it again. Then instead of stopping the process dead.....keep driving them around and using them less and less aggressively to allow them to cool off while still in use. Then they are bedded.

On the topic of Ultimate in general - I concur with Duncan. There's nothing inherently wrong with them nor do they just squeal because they're a sqeally pad. I've used them heaps of time on a number of different cars and never had them squeal to an extent that I'd comment on it. Occasional squeal - certainly. No worse than any other pad though.