SAU Community

Is The Perth Jdm Scene Dead?

jjman

Just a query based on my observations.

IS THE PERTH JDM SCENE DEAD DONE AND GONE?

When I got my first skyline in 2009 (not really that long ago all things being equal) you couldn't drive anywhere without seeing a skyline of some description, or at least some sort of JDM car. Also the user traffic on the WA SAU site was huge. Always new posts for cars and parts for sale and almost daily 'spotted' posts.

Now I barely ever see JDM cars on the road and there is almost never posts in the WA section for cars for sale or the rest etc etc.

What happened? Did everybody go Commodore LS? Have the majority of JDM cars just reached their dying age being that the most were produced mid 90's? Has importation rules and desirability or affordability changed? Have the police yellow stickered JDMs off the road?

SAU WA is dead

still alot going on in the scene antilag.com still gets massive traffic, plenty of banter, cruises, events and the like.

is alot of the younger guys on WAJCC - Wa Japanese Car Community on facebook and alot of the younger guys dont use forums these days, facebook is all they know.

japanese car parts wa is a good place for buy and sell

is it like back in the day? no! people move on, laws change, people move towards more legit forms of motorsport and more clandestine cruises to keep the massive amount of muppets in the scene away.

yeah that all makes sense. Good perspective Damo. Cheers.

Otherwise to comment on the noticeably less presence of JDM cars on the road?

Car age/death? Police targeting?

• Like 1

I think Euro cars are the current flavour of the month, and are more affordable than they were in the mid 2000s.

Japanese cars only really picked up in the early to mid 2000s because our laws changed and they became a lot more affordable to everyone.

Id say the cost of new cars, and the affordability of higher speced Euro cars has stopped alot of people importing Japanese cars now. There is the odd diehard still out there but

• Like 1

Euro!? Its HSV's n the rest of the commo brigade as far as the eye can see when I look.

But agreed, euros are also more popular these days too.

It's changed a lot since the mid 2000's, I just think people are not full heartedly car enthusiasts anymore but just have one for the sake of having one e.g because it's Turbo. Forums are a great place where we actually can get into the mood of talking about cars rather than just casual stuff.

Why don't we have a meet sometime Tonight. Who's up for it?

Edited by RB335

It's changed a lot since the mid 2000's, I just think people are not full heartedly car enthusiasts anymore but just have one for the sake of having one e.g because it's Turbo.

I think you are onto something here, a lot of the kids these days are into it because it’s a fashion not a passion.

Went to a track day recently, dudes went out on 3 lap stints maybe 2 or 3 times in 3 hours. Spent the rest of the time talking in the car park

Was great for me as the track was always clear and I got plenty of laps in for a great price!

When I am back in town and have my carback, on the next clear night I will organise a cruise and post it into the WA wasteland thread. Tentatively be looking at the 5/6 of June weather permitting. Cruise wont be SAU exclusive by any means will just let you guys know the details

WA post count must be at a 5 year high, we have had like 1 comment a day in the WA Wasteland

Booming

Edited by Hattori Hanzo 69
  • Like 1

I'm in for that, been keen for a while to see a few of the guys on here since I got my car, I was thinking of going to the Midland coffee cruise on Sunday morning but am still unsure and it will prob be more classic muscle than imports?

there is quite a few of us with our cars off the road for a while either, tracking the car now or building it better which take decades haha.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think Euro cars are the current flavour of the month, and are more affordable than they were in the mid 2000s.

Japanese cars only really picked up in the early to mid 2000s because our laws changed and they became a lot more affordable to everyone.

Id say the cost of new cars, and the affordability of higher speced Euro cars has stopped alot of people importing Japanese cars now. There is the odd diehard still out there but

Sounds like me...

I have moved to a BMW 335i now days, mainly for the absolute sleeper factory (my looks like a poverty spec 320i from the outside) and I'm more into the performance sedans rather than coupes now days.

I was leaving work with a buddy who has an S15 at ~10:30pm, a police car came in the opposite direction and immediately did a U-turn and I saw him getting pulled over, next day I saw him there's a nice big fat yellow sticker. The police never even noticed me despite my car having more power than his and is faster down the 1/4. :rolleyes:

I still have the R33 as a backup and compared to the BMW, parts are super easy to find and cheap as chips (was quoted over $4k for a ABS/DSC module unit for the BMW :wacko:).

• 7 months later...