SAU Community

Xr6 Turbo Love

Drove an FG XR6 with 450kw at the rears

Scary quick, but lacks build quality. Creaky door trims, paper thin front guards, bootlid rubbing on rear bar, overly high driving position, mudflaps held in place with single screw (loosely), unpainted plastic door mirrors and shiny plastic door frame inserts...

Yes I agree the build quality can be lacking in parts. Thin panels and plastic where it should really be metal, I've found most new cars are similar.

Also agree the commodore interior is shitloads better than the falcon, if I could get the falcon gearbox and engine in a VE commodore I would take it every single time.

Edited by Rolls

put motor in a R33/R34 then lol

R33 both have dual airbags, ABS, pyro pre tensioner seatbelts.. no creaks

But what do you do with the rudder when on land?

• Like 2

put motor in a R33/R34 then lol

R33 both have dual airbags, ABS, pyro pre tensioner seatbelts.. no creaks

The motor and gearbox is f**king massive, no chance of fitting it in without cutting firewall.

Falcon has a lot more then 2 airbags, I had a typhoon that made 395rwkw and it was an animal and made the power so easily (still had the factory turbo)

Unfortunately build quality let it down as it did on the fg xr6t I owned later, that and the price of fuel climbing at the time and it drinking it faster then I could put it in the tank

Have fun replacing Diff bushes constantly (Requires subframe removal)

Have fun replacing Heater mixer shaft when it breaks. hopefully you have the updated stronger one. (Requires Dash out).

Have fun replacing all the engine rubber seals and electrical connectors due too excessive heat. (From memory the thermostat is somewhere near 92 degrees)

Have fun replacing all the front end bushes due to being flogged out.

Making all that power is fun but in the long run the maintenance bill will be higher if you don't work on the car yourself.

I owned at XR6T and while the engine is by far the best part of the whole car, the rest of the car is poorly engineered.

I couldn't believe how bad all the suspension bushes were after such low km's.

I have owned a 180sx, Silvia, Chaser & a stagea. After working on all these cars the significantly older cars are

1. Easier to work on

2. Handle better

And 3. Run cooler.

My 2c. Take it or leave it.