SAU Community

Need Help: R34 Gtr Ecu

sr20dettttt

Hey everyone,

Just bought a car and it's running extremely rich. r34 gtr vspec

There is a piggy back system connected to the ecu:

http://www.perfectpower.net.au/smt-6.html

I want to take it off, however, when the mechanic removed it, the car won't start.

He suggested that the standard ecu might not be working correctly in the first place which is why the piggy back ecu is there.

Is there anyone here who could lend me their stock ecu?

Are all r34 gtr ecus the same? vspec non vspec etc?

Or should I just go buy a power fc and tune?

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks guys

No difference that I know vspec vs non vspec as the difference is the abs and 4wd computers. Ditch that piggy back and if it still doesn't start read up on NATS in the bnr34 service manual and get Ecu Diag cable or PFC which will also work

i still have no idea whats going on.. it's pretty confusing. i dont have a ecu diag cable..

i've taken out the piggy back unit and reconnected the standard ecu, however the car wont fire up.

maybe recommendations on where i can take the car to? someone who knows r34 gtrs and the nats system?

Your injectors are probably too big for the stock ecu; could be all number of factors if the car is modified. Get it tuned with an aftermarket ecu and save your money down the track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay so...

Bought r34 gtr power fc, installed but doesn't fire up and concluded it's the NATS. The r34 gtr power fc requires an input signal from the factory immobiliser.

Also realised, the car is running an r32 gtr ecu with that piggy back unit.. which means.. the factory immobiliser was disabled anyway. (I have an aftermarket immobiliser)

So the only solution was to buy an r33 gtr power fc, switch some pins around, and tune.

Car is now running fine, factory immobiliser is disabled however have aftermarket immobiliser and alarm system to compensate.

I think a benefit of this set up is that if I were to purchase a spare key, I would not need to code the key.

Are there any cons you guys could think of in this set up?

• Like 1

Potentially easier to steal if the thief spots random non-factory wiring and recognises it as the immobiliser and bypasses it...