SAU Community

Spool 3.4

Wyn

Looking on Spool imports site I see they list a complete RB34 short engine, block, crank and pistons etc etc

Has anyone got one and what do you think of it and the build work done?

btw, for use with RB25/34 road/drag use

cheers

Looking on Spool imports site I see they list a complete RB34 short engine, block, crank and pistons etc etc

Has anyone got one and what do you think of it and the build work done?

btw, for use with RB25/34 road/drag use

cheers

They used to have a video on their site of one a dyno making about 900hp but haven't seen anyone actually post one up here.

Cheers, from what Spool have told me that bottom end is good for 8 - 9k rpm limit

But what head would peeps recommend using between the 2.5 GTST head and the Neo head for a 3.4 conversion?

To make full use of that rev capability I have the option of using my current RB25/30 GTST s1 head with Tomie pon cams but still on hydraulic lifters. That I've been advised (and used) 7.6k as a limit and believe it shouldn't be reved higher?

Or go buy and build it with a neo head and high lift cams to make full use of the bottom ends rev range

26 head is out as none of my ancillaries are going to fit. Any other options other then convert my GTST head to solid ?

A rev limit of 8 to 9000 seems weird to me. What is it, 8000 or 9000? That's a massive difference.

Do you really need to push an engine that hard anyway?

atm I am using a T3 bb GT35 but with a 1.06 exhaust housing. If that will now be undersized I don't know? But when it was mapped as a 3.0 it wanting to keep making power past its 7.6k rpm (safe) limit so maybe not?

As for the rev range yes it seemed odd but as they don't know 100% what I will be bolting onto it that's maybe why?

I haven't got a problem with that, more that I am happy I know a safe range ... or max when built

Yes the head needs to be right and be able to run to the bottom ends limit

A GT35 will have epic response on a 3.4L certainly wouldn't be testing the bottom end of the spool kit. Nor would i think it'd warrant a big $$$ head either.

I'd imagine a GT35 falling off around or probably before 7K.

Depending on what exactly your plans are for the car maybe start looking for something like a 6466?

As above I can only repeat what I was told by the dyno operator re it still making power all the way to its redline of 7.6kI

it would have reved on and made more if it wasn't for the hydraulic lifters

btw this is a sunday toy and for occasional drag strip use hence wanting the spec

Sounds like a bit of a greek salad.

Your going to the trouble of selecting a 3.4L for a drag build and then talking about limiting it with the head and turbo.

For drag, RPMs can help with the power up top, turbo needs to run up there and not be restrictive in housing.

Big lift cams and big turbo housing can get you some serious MPH but will sacrifice streetability.

The other thing is rod stroke ratio and piston speeds if your going to rev a 3.4L hard.

Get yourself a RB30, forget about stroking it and go from there.......your not in the zone for a stroker.

25/30, forged bottom end, bit of head work, right cams and turbo and your there without the stroker expense, if it blows its not so much of a money pit and cheap to rebuild/replace.

No I don't want to limit it with turbo or head but just thoughts on what would be the better way to go?

Maybe there isn't? If I stay with a GTST it will cost to get the head converted to solid and new cams

Or if I went neo it will cost again for cams and a head.

Both might end up about the same?

Yes I use the car up the strip but its not going to be an out and out drag engine, as I still drive it as a day to day car (when its not raining lol)

Will see what turns up anyway as neo heads aren't that easy to come by by the looks of it either

No I don't want to limit it with turbo or head but just thoughts on what would be the better way to go?

Maybe there isn't? If I stay with a GTST it will cost to get the head converted to solid and new cams

Yes I use the car up the strip but its not going to be an out and out drag engine, as I still drive it as a day to day car (when its not raining lol)

Will see what turns up anyway as neo heads aren't that easy to come by by the looks of it either

Neo head with a shim under conversion is on par with a 26 generally.

Gt35 does not seem big enough to warrant a 3.4

6466 is a great combo for a 3l.

You should make 500kw + (e85) never have to worry about how high your limiter is.

Save the extra from the stroker crank, put it into the head.

Get Rips to ship you a 3.2 engine - he may be able to find you a Neo head as well.

http://www.ripsracing.com/

• Like 1

Neo head with a shim under conversion is on par with a 26 generally.

Gt35 does not seem big enough to warrant a 3.4

6466 is a great combo for a 3l.

You should make 500kw + (e85) never have to worry about how high your limiter is.

Save the extra from the stroker crank, put it into the head.

What's involved in doing the shim-under conversion on the Neo head?

Cheers, have decided to go for the neo head so am on the lookout for one now

As for the 3.4 motor its a done deal. Deposits made so the sooner its built and over here the sooner I can get on with it

In the mean time I have my 25/30, turbo and injectors etc etc which I can use to help finance this new build

Will see how it all pans out I guess so no doubt I'll have a few more questions lol

btw, Talking of injectors am I still likely to get away with my 740 nismo s/feed injectors, greddy copy manifold on a Neo?

Or is that impossible to say till its fully speced

Cheers

It would be mental to run crusty side feed injectors on a NEO head considering how cheap and good top feed injectors are. This doesn't seem like a budget build, don't pov out on injectors.