SAU Community

Metal Intake Pipe

Hey guys, so apparently I need a metal intake pipe as the stock plastic one is too small and can collapse under pressure with the new, larger turbo (ATR43SS). Wondering if anyone's done a DIY using silicon joiners and steel piping and would like to part any feedback. Also wondering if the return BOV and breather line are essentials ? Or can I simply make the intake, block the BOV and get a catch can to bypass the issues ? Thanks for any information.

It's on a rb25det pod filter setup

Search for 'Scotty's metal intake' on these forums or PM scotty nm35. He's made hundreds, they're cheap, have all the breather and pod adapters and are great quality. I run mine on a very similar set up to yours by the sounds of things. I have pics if you find my build thread

Call Scott's customs.

Or get a right angle 3" Ubend metal pipe and weld on some nipples for the bov and breather. 2.5"-3" silicone joiner and it should work fine. I'll take se pics of mine now.

post-108100-14363049520997_thumb.jpg

post-108100-14363049637795_thumb.jpg

The black u bend and silicone hose is just the standard bov return that has been cut and placed in between the power steering line and hot pipe, it is angled directly at the turbo inlet.

Search for 'Scotty's metal intake' on these forums or PM scotty nm35.

I've spoken to Scotty, but considering he's in Melbourne and im in sydney it would be a little hard to ensure right specifications and stuff. What do you guys think of blocking the BOV and getting a catch can to get rid of the lines into the intake ?

Better off doing it right and keeping them. Plus a proper (legal) catch can still uses the intake arm to suck the air/vapour from the catch can, so you still need a fitting anyway.

I've spoken to Scotty, but considering he's in Melbourne and im in sydney it would be a little hard to ensure right specifications and stuff. What do you guys think of blocking the BOV and getting a catch can to get rid of the lines into the intake ?

I'm in Sydney. Seriously just get him to make it and be done with it, he's made hundreds for people on the forums, if he couldn't ensure 'the specifications and stuff' don't you think someone would have mentioned it?

His specs are spot on, all my breather lines and BOV return fit perfectly with no mods and it works perfectly. Don't make this any harder than it needs to be

Truthfully, get Scott to make one, and then alter your setup to make it fit right IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF it doesn't.

It will be far easier and a better solution to do it that way, and re-adjust your setup to fit the scotty pipe if there's some part that is out by 2mm here or there.

Hrm breather line and bov return needs to be cut, there's no way around it unless you use a soft intake pipe

Correct, otherwise the BOV/Breather hardpipes would somehow be inside the intake and facing the wrong angle causing AFM reversion.

I tried to make an 80mm intake that would look as stock as possible using all the stock parts. Seems to flow well too, ^^ Gregs made very good power yesterday, using the stock airbox. :)

Truthfully, get Scott to make one, and then alter your setup to make it fit right IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF it doesn't.

It will be far easier and a better solution to do it that way, and re-adjust your setup to fit the scotty pipe if there's some part that is out by 2mm here or there.

Got your graph up yet mate? I think you made more power though one of my rb25 80mm intakes intakes than anyone before. Usually I would be suggesting a 4 inch with pod by now, but it wouldn't look stock at all. Your car is about a stealth as 400+kw gets, and it's auto... Blows my mind what Ethanol can do. :P