SAU Community

5-2; You're Ticket To Weightloss

Cowboy1600

Anyone here doing the 5-2 diet?

I'm not one for dieting or fads, but gave it a crack last year and dropped about 10kgs in a couple of months. Stopped last October and crept back up about 6kgs between then and June this year. Back on it now and 4kgs have been shed.

For those who aren't across it, the 5-2 is where you fast two days a week. Any two days are fine within a seven day period. It takes a bit of willpower but I find once I'm committed I find it easy.

The rule is you're allowed 600 calories (500 for chicks) for the whole day. The other five days you're allowed to eat whatever you would normally eat.

I find it kind of cool. At about 2pm I go through hyper mode and I can feel my core temp go right up and I start talking at a million miles an hour and can't sit down. I tend to just not eat on my fasting days (which are usually Mondays and Thursdays).

There's a bit of science behind it. Michael Mosley, the guy who came up with the concept, did so after looking for a way to improve his health and lost weight. He came to 5-2 after trying all sorts of things including four straight days of fasting!

Anyone else doing or done the 5-2? Results?

Isn't that just a short term weight loss program though? As you're putting your body into starvation mode? Once you stop doing it, you'll just put all the weight back on?

Anything that will put you at a total calorie deficit over x time period will work.

I've used IF (intermittent fasting) before. I enjoyed it.

5-2 is by no means a break through though. He just used everyone else's work and bastardized it a bit and marketed towards a mainstream audience.

Read 'Eat Stop Eat' if you want real science behind it.

I'm already 66, so I do a 6-1.

It works.

By the time my clients see me, they require hypnotherapy first and then I discuss (for metabolism's sake) the 5-2. I don't see many compulsive eaters over 60 to discuss a 6-1 hehe...

• Like 1

Isn't that just a short term weight loss program though? As you're putting your body into starvation mode? Once you stop doing it, you'll just put all the weight back on?

If you stop doing it and eat more energy than you expend, then of course.

Results may vary, however I put weight back on quite slowly (about 6kgs in 8 months).

The science suggests that it's not only good for weight loss but also very good for you.

The science suggests that it's not only good for weight loss but also very good for you.

Relatively . The comparisons from memory were with a sedentary group and there were some other markers around suppression of IGF . Mostly the statisical links around living longer.

Is it the best diet or even a 'top diet' ? No evidence to suggest that. Probably more of a 'depends'.. ( not that you are saying it in this case).

On the other side of the coin . Paleo diets are pretty miserable for people who like living in a normal society and eating great food. Just try being around someone on the diet in the office.

I have seen this degenerate on people perhaps on par with Cross fit zealots. So it should come with a warning.

In the office I have heard :

"I'm suffering for my cause but , I feel great ....."

"you should do this too....."

"the science proves it ......."

"it's like the cave men ate and they were really ripped ......"

" it's not a diet , it's a life style.."

people telling me this are fat. (personal topical rant).

Edited by rev210

lol just like my lunch room at work, full of people discussing each other's diets and how to lose weight, what works best for them and fasting etc. Not a single one of them asking me how I keep my 10-12% body fat figure. I think people think I am born this way? Why do people want to hear from others who haven't achieved their goals yet lol? Does it make them feel better about not realising their own goals yet? Same boat mentality?

And god forbid you mention exercise...people will torture themselves with starvation and living on one type of food, but suggest they pick up a barbell and you're insane.

the best weight loss program is to change how you eat permanently.

Constantly going on and off diets will do you no good.

Intake<Output=Weightloss.

Intake>Output=Weightgain

meerkat.jpg

the 5-2 diet was just another one of those ones made up for people who have zero self control over what they eat. SO they go ok i did my 2 days YAY CAKE.

• Like 2

I saw the TV show. makes sense & reinforces that the majority of the public eat too much.

Pretty much summarises your digestive system needs time to work and actually getting hungry between meals is perfectly normal and healthy.

I've lost 8+ kg in 8 weeks on similar principles.

• Like 1

COMPLETELY ignoring whether you're creating a caloric deficit or surplus over time (so weight loss/gain is not concerned here), extended periods of fasting have many health benefits, ranging from reducing insulin tolerance, increased growth hormone secretion, all the way through to improving digestive health.

The benefits with regards to weight loss come from a number of these effects.

Your personal insecurity isn't a valid argument here.

Wait...I'm insecure because I eat food every day? Are bulimia and anorexia trends now?

I can't just think that people who purposely don't eat are girls? Like, teenage girls with body image issues who don't eat? No, sir, it is not I with the insecurity...