SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

So how about cryptos eh?
I was reading about the golem network today and had no idea it such momentum behind it. It's a great cause and all, but when has something without greed and power involved ever been a huge commercial success that changed the world?
No I'm serious, when?

2 hours ago, joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo said:

lol @ not taking into account that CEO's & Self Employed people with great work life balance all worked their asses off to get there.  

Can't say I've met a self employed person or CEO with a great work life balance - not that they would agree with me. But I think to succeed at either of those you need to devote so much of your life to it that you essentially lose who/what you were. I'm sure exceptions exist, but from what I've seen, most corporate ladder climbers and entrepreneurs who stay in the game long enough become more defined by their work life than what they do outside of work. Who needs more than 300k a year? Their living standards, peers, personality, goals and definition of success evolve over time at the cost of friendships, family and recreation. Too much becomes never enough - see/seen so many in a position to retire early or easily work part time but they never step back to this or, after attempting to, fail and return, because they've spent too long in the mindset of doing everything to further their careers or build their business/baby - institutionalised. These people have families and yet on a Monday morning you'll find emails from them at 8PM on a Sunday night. I know a 50 year old with 20 mil to his name who tried to retire and couldn't handle it. As long as they are happy I guess...but are they?

Props to those who love their work and are happy doing the 9-5 or whatever they do. I think perfect work/life balance lies somewhere around 50/50, as you do need lows to balance highs. But 5+2 is a shit deal IMO. Life was amazing when I was doing 4+3 - it's not just one extra day of recreation, but one day less of work. Worth the pay difference. Difficult to find a job that supports that and pays well, though - living standards have evolved to suit. Oops...

2 hours ago, Leroy Peterson said:

So how about cryptos eh?
I was reading about the golem network today and had no idea it such momentum behind it. It's a great cause and all, but when has something without greed and power involved ever been a huge commercial success that changed the world?
No I'm serious, when?

This is why bitcoin is and will always be limited to black market / non mainstream / outskirt trading, no matter how valuable it becomes. Those against methods of decentralising currency also happen to control means of production (/stalin). For the same reasons, investment in oil exploration is in no danger of renewable energy shutting it down...

Low flowing frac fluid on the other hand, though...

I miss my old job sometimes, 830-430 hours, rocked up at 845 most days without a care in the world, clocked off 430 on the dot, went home with no stress. 

Downside was the work wasn't brain stimulating what so ever, dead end job that wouldn't go anywhere higher than what I was doing. At least where I'm at now I've got a lot to learn. 

4+3 would be awesome, never seen or applied for any though. 

Edited by UNR33L

31 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

I miss my old job sometimes, 830-430 hours, rocked up at 845 most days without a care in the world, clocked off 430 on the dot, went home with no stress. 

Downside was the work wasn't brain stimulating what so ever, dead end job that wouldn't go anywhere higher than what I was doing. At least where I'm at now I've got a lot to learn. 

4+3 would be awesome, never seen or applied for any though. 

i did 4+3 at telstra  loved it

the reality of doing a 10 hour day compared to an 8 is nothing.

and you get so much more free time

44 minutes ago, emts said:

i did 4+3 at telstra  loved it

the reality of doing a 10 hour day compared to an 8 is nothing.

and you get so much more free time

Most of us in corporate jobs are doing 10 a day anyway once you factor in overtime and early starts

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Birds said:

Most of us in corporate jobs are doing 10 a day anyway once you factor in overtime and early starts

I HATE how that is expected & considered the norm. 

Contract states 37.5 or 40 hours yet to actually get anywhere you got to do 50 

(Because ofcourse time at work directly correlates to how good at the job you are right?)

Edited by UNR33L

yes well considering my previous job was a 40 hour week, 

however in that 40 hours you had to:

bill min 80% or as we found out you are made redundant... 32 hours a week

travel to sites, I averaged 10 hours per week with some weeks being 20-30

complete your non billable paperwork, 3-4 hours a week.

complete training average 5 hours a week

presales and sales of yourself to new jobs, 10ish hours per week

plus if you took any leave that billable time would have to be caught back up during that quarter. and 2 quarters a year we had mandatory leave. so average an extra 3 hours billable per week to catch that.

basiclly to be able to complete all tasks you would average a 70 hour week.

I was very busy one quarter with lots of billable and travel and averaged for the quarter over 100 per week with a max week at approx 120 hours

loving my new job. basiclly 9-5 other than every 2nd thursday where we have a 8am call. 

1 minute ago, UNR33L said:

I HATE how that is expected & considered the norm. 

Contract states 37.5 or 40 hours yet to actually get anywhere you got to do 50 

The assumption is that you put in the hard yards (read: unpaid overtime) when you're young / at the bottom to prove yourself for a promotion that you may not receive. Actually illegal to push that on employees, but enjoy your corporate glass ceiling if you are getting there and leaving on time.

Agreed, it's a snowballing effect because each person is trying to suck the bosses ass more and more.

I just do 830 - 5 these days too, but really gotta make sure I'm in on time or they crack it hard (even if 1 minute late) So usually I'm down at the coffee shop having smashed avo and latte before I get in.