SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

1 hour ago, UNR33L said:

Birds when am I rebuilding your PC for special favours? 

Surely due for an upgrade? :P 

As long as it runs CS:GO I see no need for an upgrade

No time/interest in any other games at the moment

I had an itx z97 machine. It's now my work pc complete with its 780 ti that spends all its time clocked up and pumping out heat as its an nvidia bug when driving 4 screens that they can't go down to idle, the home machine to replace it was an matx z170 machine and a 1070 as the other one gave me the shits with random bios resets when you turned it on, totally worth the $2500 it cost to buy the new one.

Weird. Computers and components are so cheap these days. Everything seemed so much more expensive when I was a teenager saving for a build.

20100216443_elite-120_s.jpg

My shoebox is a tight fit but small desk footprint and about as small a case as you can get with full sized components / decent power supply. Very portable for LANs not that people really do those anymore. Surprisingly doesn't get that hot, except in summer, where the side of the case will burn your hand...and I run a USB fan pointed into the vent nearest the CPU.

15 hours ago, Birds said:

As long as it runs CS:GO I see no need for an upgrade

No time/interest in any other games at the moment

Yeah it's a bit like that these days, the hardware is starting to overpower the software / games. 

I think optimisation is getting better, because you can really tell an early access games that melt PCs and has prehistoric ragdoll physics.

Also I think graphics manufacturers are focusing on crypto mining hardware rather than backing developers to. Push better products etc

I can't keep up with GPU releases these days

Maybe my time awareness isn't on track, but in the teenage years it was a big deal when Nvidia released any new model like the GeForce 2 GTS. Now the number on the end just seems to go up every other month.

34 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

I think optimisation is getting better, because you can really tell an early access games that melt PCs and has prehistoric ragdoll physics.

Also I think graphics manufacturers are focusing on crypto mining hardware rather than backing developers to. Push better products etc

lol reminds me, some guy at work fooled the IT department into building him a rig with a Quadro card saying he needed it for CAD...he had it mining bitcoins 24/7. He is...no longer with us.

15 minutes ago, Birds said:

I can't keep up with GPU releases these days

Maybe my time awareness isn't on track, but in the teenage years it was a big deal when Nvidia released any new model like the GeForce 2 GTS. Now the number on the end just seems to go up every other month.

It's still a big deal, hell since you got your card 5 years ago there's only been 2 releases (Your 770 > 9xx series > 10xx series) yes they missed the 800 series.

I only just went from old trusty 780ti > 1070GTX last year & still run a 5 year old intel cpu, the only reason to get a newer card these days is if you're running a 4k or 1440p monitor, if you're running a 1080p a potato will suffice. 

/nerdlinesaustralia

8 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

It's still a big deal, hell since you got your card 5 years ago there's only been 2 releases (Your 770 > 9xx series > 10xx series) yes they missed the 800 series.

I only just went from old trusty 780ti > 1070GTX last year & still run a 5 year old intel cpu, the only reason to get a newer card these days is if you're running a 4k or 1440p monitor, if you're running a 1080p a potato will suffice. 

/nerdlinesaustralia

Those are series though...within them they seem to continuously release an array of cards like 1050 1060 1070 1080 1080ti Titan XP etc.

12 minutes ago, Birds said:

Those are series though...within them they seem to continuously release an array of cards like 1050 1060 1070 1080 1080ti Titan XP etc.

True there's a lot in the series but that's just like a car having options that are better but cost more. WRX, WRX Premium, WRX Spec R, WRX STI, WRX STI Premium, WRX STI Spec R etc.