SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

I really enjoyed watching this Toms Turbo Garage series on him building his LS3 MX5

There's a site which has nearly everything you need to do the conversion, all the mounts, harnesses etc and it seems pretty much plug and play apart from bashing out the trans tunnel.

I really enjoyed watching this Toms Turbo Garage series on him building his LS3 MX5

There's a site which has nearly everything you need to do the conversion, all the mounts, harnesses etc and it seems pretty much plug and play apart from bashing out the trans tunnel.

That's the build I mentioned to birds earlier.

17 hours ago, Odium said:

Title is bit misleading, no turbo in this build :P 

Unless he added a turbo or 50 later on in the build? 

On 17/09/2017 at 0:50 AM, Birds said:

Leigh considered a Megane RS?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Megane-2016/OAG-AD-14835438

These things are seriously fun, well equipped and good handling cars for the money

They're not bad, probably worth a test drive although I reckon I'd still have a Focus RS over that 

At this rate my car won't sell till next year anyways 

Edited by UNR33L

All you kents that have moved house with a lot of shit, how do you do it? looking at moving the next month or two into a rental.. hire a thrifty truck? Man I'm scared dat dere 70" TV gonna smash

easy I threw out just about everything and started again.

furniture I kept TV, 1 couch, mattress.

White goods, fridge to be used as bar fridge washer and dryer.

and every times I've moved I just pay some-one to do it, their insurance can cover if something gets broken.

200-500$ depending distance and such, get a few quotes and you will start getting an idea. 

you just have stuff in boxes and sit there with a beer whilst they do it.

The stuff I put in storage this time was same, guy arrive load everything up to the Pod, take it to depot, sorted for a few months, then they gran the pods will deliver to new house and unload it,

I'm not 21 and bribing friends with pizza and beer to help move anymore.

ive done every move myself, but last move was the first time i had whitegoods and couch an shit.

its do-able with friends and a truck, but its f**king time consuming. picking up the truck, estimating how long you need truck for, driving it to house, loading things up, doing 1 trip, realising you need to do a second trip, do that, fill up truck with fuel, then drop off 5mins before rental place closes on Saturday. its like a full day of running around and stressing.

Next time ill cough up the few hundred bucks to get a company to do it. have gatorades and tea/biscuits on standby for the removalists and they'll generally look after your stuff. that way you just have to get everything ready/disassemble, and let others do 90% of the lifting and playing truck/trolley tetris.

So you gonna rent out your place and move somewhere more convenient for your + mrs work?

yeah ours was a hot day and we had some Cokes and battles of water with some Choc bars in the esky for them..

they supply all the padded blankets and everything it's too easy really

Looking for tyres for triumph (since the current ones are harder than diamond and 2 have leaks) there's 3 options for 185/60/13:

"Ovation" @$80 a corner

"Winda" @$95 a corner

“Advan AO48" @idontwannaknow a corner

Hmmmmm is there such a thing as superior China silicone tyres?

If I was gonna keep it, would be on the hunt for some Gram Lights in 4x95.25 pcd

1 hour ago, Leroy Peterson said:

ive done every move myself, but last move was the first time i had whitegoods and couch an shit.

its do-able with friends and a truck, but its f**king time consuming. picking up the truck, estimating how long you need truck for, driving it to house, loading things up, doing 1 trip, realising you need to do a second trip, do that, fill up truck with fuel, then drop off 5mins before rental place closes on Saturday. its like a full day of running around and stressing.

Next time ill cough up the few hundred bucks to get a company to do it. have gatorades and tea/biscuits on standby for the removalists and they'll generally look after your stuff. that way you just have to get everything ready/disassemble, and let others do 90% of the lifting and playing truck/trolley tetris.

So you gonna rent out your place and move somewhere more convenient for your + mrs work?

That sounds like a good plan actually, the fact they have all the blankets n shit and if there's any issues i'm sure it's all insured. 

I'd probably still move a lot of my own small shit in the car - assuming those guys just do the big items? or is it just whatever?

Yeah I'll be renting my place out, probably get 2 Monash uni students in there or something. Places we are looking is slightly more convenient but more the fact we won't be paying 2 sets of bills, so we'll both save around 5-10k each a year than the current living situation. My joint is too far from her work & no back yard for her dog too, that's another reason. My bonus is I'll get a double garage now :)  

Our last move was hybrid. Rented a driver's licence truck with a hydraulic tailgate (~$150 for 24 hours from Budget) to move most of our boxes, garage stuff and hardy/soft furniture. About two easy/single layer truck loads worth. Then hired professionals to move the delicates, glass, TVs etc. I think you can save a bit of money doing it this way depending how much stuff you have.

Removalists were awesome during the move, very quick and efficient, knew how to pack everything and refused to let us help out. No items damaged. On the admin side, not so good. Was quoted for 2 guys + truck, 3 hours minimum on a Saturday move $500. They sent 3 guys (because the job after us required 3) and were done in only 2 hours - office bitch charged us $650 and denied it a case of overcharging, claiming that 3 people got the job done quicker and that with 2 people I'd have paid the same or more anyway because it would have taken longer. I didn't bother arguing the point over $150, but changing the arrangement on the customer like that is not cool. Shame because they were referred by friends who use them all the time.

But in general I would say get professionals to do it. Just be aware that you get what you pay for. Some companies are f**king terrible. Like our previous move, where we paid only $300 and had two guys turn up - one with the IQ of a clock who only did it as a part time job on weekends, the other for whom it was his first week in the job and barely spoke English. The two of them spent more time talking and working out how they were going to move out stuff than actually moving it - you don't want to be teaching removalists how to do their job better.

10 minutes ago, Birds said:

Our last move was hybrid. Rented a driver's licence truck with a hydraulic tailgate (~$150 for 24 hours from Budget) to move most of our boxes, garage stuff and hardy/soft furniture. About two easy/single layer truck loads worth. Then hired professionals to move the delicates, glass, TVs etc. I think you can save a bit of money doing it this way depending how much stuff you have.

Removalists were awesome during the move, very quick and efficient, knew how to pack everything and refused to let us help out. No items damaged. On the admin side, not so good. Was quoted for 2 guys + truck, 3 hours minimum on a Saturday move $500. They sent 3 guys (because the job after us required 3) and were done in only 2 hours - office bitch charged us $650 and denied it a case of overcharging, claiming that 3 people got the job done quicker and that with 2 people I'd have paid the same or more anyway because it would have taken longer. I didn't bother arguing the point over $150, but changing the arrangement on the customer like that is not cool. Shame because they were referred by friends who use them all the time.

But in general I would say get professionals to do it. Just be aware that you get what you pay for. Some companies are f**king terrible. Like our previous move, where we paid only $300 and had two guys turn up - one with the IQ of a clock who only did it as a part time job on weekends, the other for whom it was his first week in the job and barely spoke English. The two of them spent more time talking and working out how they were going to move out stuff than actually moving it - you don't want to be teaching removalists how to do their job better.

Shoot me the details of the good mob? 

3 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

Shoot me the details of the good mob? 

I'd rather not give them an open referral based on how they treated me post-service, but if you're struggling to find a good company text me and I'll pass details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Birds said:

I'd rather not give them an open referral based on how they treated me post-service, but if you're struggling to find a good company text me and I'll pass details.

Purchased a property yet? Oh and how's the car going?

Edited by Daz

26 minutes ago, Daz said:

Purchased a property yet? Oh and how's the car going?

Yep...now trying to achieve that house ownership / GTR balance

Haven't been out there for a while...might head up on Saturday and see if another bolt has found its way into a hole...