SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

All you kents that have moved house with a lot of shit, how do you do it? looking at moving the next month or two into a rental.. hire a thrifty truck? Man I'm scared dat dere 70" TV gonna smash

Throw shit out/hire a truck with tailgate lift, should only be ~150 a day.

Or, pay removalists to move the big stuff and packed boxes while you do all the fragile stuff.

Our last move was hybrid. Rented a driver's licence truck with a hydraulic tailgate (~$150 for 24 hours from Budget) to move most of our boxes, garage stuff and hardy/soft furniture. About two easy/single layer truck loads worth. Then hired professionals to move the delicates, glass, TVs etc. I think you can save a bit of money doing it this way depending how much stuff you have.
Removalists were awesome during the move, very quick and efficient, knew how to pack everything and refused to let us help out. No items damaged. On the admin side, not so good. Was quoted for 2 guys + truck, 3 hours minimum on a Saturday move $500. They sent 3 guys (because the job after us required 3) and were done in only 2 hours - office bitch charged us $650 and denied it a case of overcharging, claiming that 3 people got the job done quicker and that with 2 people I'd have paid the same or more anyway because it would have taken longer. I didn't bother arguing the point over $150, but changing the arrangement on the customer like that is not cool. Shame because they were referred by friends who use them all the time.
But in general I would say get professionals to do it. Just be aware that you get what you pay for. Some companies are f**king terrible. Like our previous move, where we paid only $300 and had two guys turn up - one with the IQ of a clock who only did it as a part time job on weekends, the other for whom it was his first week in the job and barely spoke English. The two of them spent more time talking and working out how they were going to move out stuff than actually moving it - you don't want to be teaching removalists how to do their job better.

Common scam by removalist mobs. ABC did an investigation on such tactics.

When I moved to Perth, company paid for the move so wasn't fussed on how they did it.

When I returned to Melb, I packed everything into moving boxes and they loaded into truck. Insurance is extra and you need to itemise majority of items.

Arrival to Melb, couple of table tops & entertainment unit damaged. Excess chewed much of the insurance claim as I was claiming IKEA furniture.

When I moved again, rented a budget truck and asked a couple mates to lend a hand. Hardest part was fitting all into one truck-load and strapping everything down so it didnt fly around.

31 minutes ago, Rekin said:

Common scam by removalist mobs. ABC did an investigation on such tactics.

When I moved to Perth, company paid for the move so wasn't fussed on how they did it.

When I returned to Melb, I packed everything into moving boxes and they loaded into truck. Insurance is extra and you need to itemise majority of items.

Arrival to Melb, couple of table tops & entertainment unit damaged. Excess chewed much of the insurance claim as I was claiming IKEA furniture.

When I moved again, rented a budget truck and asked a couple mates to lend a hand. Hardest part was fitting all into one truck-load and strapping everything down so it didnt fly around.

After googling I can see there are a lot of interesting removal scams out there and $150 overcharge sounds like I got off lightly. Judging by all the positive reviews of the company, I'm guessing my situation was more a case of them expecting me to pay for their lazy admin work than a common scam. The things that stopped me kicking up a huge fuss are: they did work lightning fast and without damage; I wasn't in a good mental state to argue my point; and I also have a rule about starting shit with people who know where you live...

• Like 2

After googling I can see there are a lot of interesting removal scams out there and $150 overcharge sounds like I got off lightly. Judging by all the positive reviews of the company, I'm guessing my situation was more a case of them expecting me to pay for their lazy admin work than a common scam. The things that stopped me kicking up a huge fuss are: they did work lightning fast and without damage; I wasn't in a good mental state to argue my point; and I also have a rule about starting shit with people who know where you live...

That's why it's a good opportunity to fleece a couple extra dollars. The customer is too preoccupied with the move.

There's access, but something about the bore fluid not dealing well with arctic temperatures...blah blah

Unless it's just a unionised work force being too soft about working in low temperature conditions...in which case dezz finds himself a victim of industrial action.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

So glad I sold in June at it's highest :)

Lowest it's been since the initial ramp up.. 

Kind of balances out selling your GTR at its lowest :P

• Like 1

Meh that GTR was f**ked and back up for sale within 6 months after I sold it to old mate in SA :D

Had to get the guards patched up to sell because of the rust coming through.. yes I was 20 and stupid when I bought it :P 

Edited by UNR33L

FYI Supercheap Auto has a sale on 22-24th which includes 35% off the Penrite range.

10 Tenths Racing 10W40 and 15W50 is down from $74.99 to $48.74. So it's basically buy two get one free.