SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

yeah well they have that player and it makes all the diffrence compared to the other one.

on local sports, mates kids are both playing a couple hundred meters up the road from us.

feel obliged to go watch but only for 10 min then wander back here to drink beer..

country life.

yeah well they have that player and it makes all the diffrence compared to the other one.

on local sports, mates kids are both playing a couple hundred meters up the road from us.
feel obliged to go watch but only for 10 min then wander back here to drink beer..
country life.

Why not combine both and wander up with beer.
  • Like 2

Ordered a Dell laptop and they tried to ship it with an AMD processor instead of Intel. Queried it and they told me they ran out of Intel CPUs and that the AMD was an upgrade - granted the latter came with 8gb DDR4 instead of 4, but benchmark websites call bullshit on processing speeds and onboard graphics. Kicked up a fuss and they've now offered the next model / screen size up in lieu; a $900 laptop for the $400 I paid. I love this company!

Good thing you didn't get the $400 laptop that would of been sheit! 

But yeh I like the Dells, and decent company in general 

Edited by UNR33L

Any laptop under $1000 is going to be garbage and you'll hate life. Any laptop under $500 goes one step further than that.

Budget barebones systems are the reason Mac's got a reputation for being good quality, because they didn't fk with the lower end machines.

• Like 1

I'm using it for word processing, light graphics (viewing images/video) and web browsing; tablet spec performance is fine for me, worked fine in store, so even the cheapie would have sufficed and weighing 1kg with long battery life made it very atttactive. I basically wanted a DGAF carry in one hand machine that if it got lost/dropped/stolen wouldn't have been too disasterous. The only thing I might do is upgrade ram myself because 4gb is pretty terrible for windows 10 and there's 16gb worth of capacity in the channels.

That being said, it's interesting how good internal graphics are getting at playing some of the older games at playable frame rates. Nowhere near dedicated but they've come a long way.

If it doesn't come with an SSD I'd rather upgrade HDD than RAM 

If it does then yeh just chuck another 4GB stick of ram in if you want

She'll be right for what you're wanting I guess, just might take a while to start up 

Edited by UNR33L

Dell are shit.
My new work one had minor isssues straight out the box. Took me a while to sort out most of them, but screen still flickers at lowest setting, selecting standby puts it in hibernation, restart locks up on the windows screen once it reboots...

2 hours ago, UNR33L said:

If it doesn't come with an SSD I'd rather upgrade HDD than RAM 

If it does then yeh just chuck another 4GB stick of ram in if you want

She'll be right for what you're wanting I guess, just might take a while to start up 

256gb SSD

I'll do another 4gb ram for the second slot and that will be plenty for my requirements. I was considering that ACER Helios 300 for some killer capability...still reckon that's an amazing value laptop. But snapped out of it when I remembered my original goal/requirements.

2 hours ago, Leroy Peterson said:

Dell are shit.
My new work one had minor isssues straight out the box. Took me a while to sort out most of them, but screen still flickers at lowest setting, selecting standby puts it in hibernation, restart locks up on the windows screen once it reboots...

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/warranties

Good thing you didn't get the $400 laptop that would of been sheit! 
But yeh I like the Dells, and decent company in general 

Sometimes they are a bit stupid though, they shipped a server without the midplane and fans, then required the entire server be shipped back to get a new one sent out with the midplane instead of just sending the part.

I'm using it for word processing, light graphics (viewing images/video) and web browsing; tablet spec performance is fine for me, worked fine in store, so even the cheapie would have sufficed and weighing 1kg with long battery life made it very atttactive. I basically wanted a DGAF carry in one hand machine that if it got lost/dropped/stolen wouldn't have been too disasterous. The only thing I might do is upgrade ram myself because 4gb is pretty terrible for windows 10 and there's 16gb worth of capacity in the channels.
That being said, it's interesting how good internal graphics are getting at playing some of the older games at playable frame rates. Nowhere near dedicated but they've come a long way.

If you want a cheap web/word laptop, The teclast f7 is amazing for the $$.

1 hour ago, TiTAN said:

Sometimes they are a bit stupid though, they shipped a server without the midplane and fans, then required the entire server be shipped back to get a new one sent out with the midplane instead of just sending the part.

They have a production line policy not so different to car manufacturers like Volkswagen with dual clutch transmissions and repairs - no repairs, just send it back get a whole new one lol

12 years ago I bought a customized Dell laptop (back in the day where you could choose every component as you wanted) and it had a small scratch in the middle of the screen. I told them and 4 days later I had another of the exact build. Had to send the other back after.

Y'all sounding like a bunch of office folks.

Speak to dezz about 36hr weeks with 3% pay increases per year or go work in daycare if you want part time.

Im all about dat 70hr week 12 days straight. And thats not even FIFO. 12 on 2 off fifo roster, or 3 on 1 off 84hr weeks, dawg.
Speaking of fifo, anyone been to solomon islands? Weighing up whether i should go... Doubt there would be any instagram worthy food photos to take there. Heard its pretty unsafe and quite remote. But yolo and VWLBC.

I work 6 days a week usually... They want me to work Sunday this week, but they can blow me

2 hours ago, TiTAN said:

If you want a cheap web/word laptop, The teclast f7 is amazing for the $$.

Looks alright; similar spec and price point to the Acer Swift 1 14", which has a ridiculous 15 hours battery life and USB Type C. Trading a superior processor for 2gb more ram.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/acer-swift-1-14-celeron-laptop-sf114-32-c4pz-acswf1c4pz?cm_mmc=Google:SEM:Shopping:Laptop Computers-_-ACSWF1C4PZ&cm_mmca1=NULL&cm_mmca3=conversion&cm_mmca9=columbus&CAWELAID=620015440002880345&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=34435309398&CATCI=pla-295391166934&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr6DQkdHV2wIVmwsrCh3MNw-BEAQYASABEgKDz_D_BwE

I looked at pretty much every ultrabook / portable / convertible on the market and the best bang for buck seemed to come from the Dell 11.6" Inspiron 3000. It had an Intel m3 processor, which was in another league compared to every other sub $500 laptop...until they ditched it for the AMD 9420e entry level shit, which is a declocked 9420 - albeit gave it 8gb ram to work with. I've now been given an i3 processor with Intel 620 in the 5000 13", which murders every ultrabook for performance so it's all kinda of win for my $400. Got lucky though...

Side note, it's interesting how many nerds on forums are buying up those ultra portables and overclocking them / upgrading components. Reminds me of people doing performance mods on Hondas or 250cc bikes.