SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

52 minutes ago, emts said:

I think your overestimating a stock cars speed.. and under estimating it's reliability

Whilst a STI is very quick on a road a stock one on the track just does not have the tyres/suspension to be corning hard enough to really carry enough speed to cause a problem.

plenty of people run STI's on the track and they have no probs car mags run them all the time.

your just  going to do a few 200 -> 60 slow downs, and a set of brembos will handle it fine.

your not going to be pulling low 20's or anything.

monitor your temps adjust your tyre pressure during the day (I assume STI have TPS as the stock imprezza does) and you will be fine,

Sandown is normally 5 lap sessions I would be doing 2 hot 1 cool down and then 2 hot to finish (you then get a cool down coming into the pits)

couple laps of the pits and don't put the handbrake on in the pit.

you are going to have lots of fun.

That's exactly what I thought, the magazines hammer them all day without issues.

I'll keep you all posted anyway with what happens :D

I'm expecting pads to basically be gone and tyres go mooshy after a while. 

Contribution from my limited experience:

Brake early into turn one on your first flying lap to get a feel for it; people seem to underestimate how cooked their brakes can be coming onto the main straight. That huge kitty litter patch is there with good reason.

Flashbacks to Simons car going through kitty litter and ripping his FMIC apart ? 

Making me wanna just do motorcycle track days again, much cheaper :)

Edited by UNR33L

11 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

Flashbacks to Simons car going through kitty litter and ripping his FMIC apart ? 

Making me wanna just do motorcycle track days again, much cheaper :)

if your intercooler is hitting the kitty litter in a WRX/STI you have bigger problems.

so flash back to my first ever track day 

was with WRX club and was meant to be driver training, however I was only entrant so they just dumped me in with regular told me I was in a group with similar speed and just follow them. Note my car was very stock at time

first hot lap I was following a wrx to turn one saw his brake point so I hit it 50 meters earlier just to be careful...cue flying straight past corner and into kittly litter..one I finally slowed enough to know was not going hit wall look at mirror to see a MX5 flying backwards into the kitty litter right at me, so powered on out. no damage lucky.

went and tracked the WRX in the pits later, semi slicks, Big brake conversion and fully stripped out....damn it.

21 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

Anyone going to this?

If so come by and say hello ill be competing in Quake

Thought about it, I wouldn't mind running in the open forza competition with the v8sc

Not much else really takes my interest though

Edited by UNR33L

19 minutes ago, emts said:

if your intercooler is hitting the kitty litter in a WRX/STI you have bigger problems.

so flash back to my first ever track day 

was with WRX club and was meant to be driver training, however I was only entrant so they just dumped me in with regular told me I was in a group with similar speed and just follow them. Note my car was very stock at time

first hot lap I was following a wrx to turn one saw his brake point so I hit it 50 meters earlier just to be careful...cue flying straight past corner and into kittly litter..one I finally slowed enough to know was not going hit wall look at mirror to see a MX5 flying backwards into the kitty litter right at me, so powered on out. no damage lucky.

went and tracked the WRX in the pits later, semi slicks, Big brake conversion and fully stripped out....damn it.

I think last track day I did in a car was 8 years ago Winton in my 33 gtr 

The centre caps on my wheels were plastic and melted off :(

What recording app do you use on phones?  I heard Racechrono is good? 

Edited by UNR33L

52 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

Ayyyy ill be there Saturday

I'll try and make it down, just saw there'll be 5v5 CS:GO in the main arena which should be good

I'm guessing the place is gonna be packed

Edited by UNR33L

2 hours ago, emts said:

racechrono on android with a external 10Hz GPS receiver.

+1 for this.

That said, have used WITHOUT gps receiver, still gets pretty good/usable/awesome data. Would try it on its own first nowadays with updated/modern phones.

6 hours ago, emts said:

Yep.

First proper track day I did was Rexmas at Sandown.

Didn't kill brakes and tyres that day and it was only allowed to push it at 80% that day. But Platts managed to blew TMIC Y pipe and boost went from 18 to 25psi on 205 block...

1 hour ago, Count Grantleyish said:

Yep.

First proper track day I did was Rexmas at Sandown.

Didn't kill brakes and tyres that day and it was only allowed to push it at 80% that day. But Platts managed to blew TMIC Y pipe and boost went from 18 to 25psi on 205 block...

RIP

The more I read about the EJ the more I cringe 

I mean the Focus RS was the other option ? 

But the rumble is good!

Edited by UNR33L