SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Polo is a golf..well in my eyes.

Fiesta eco just saw are 5 door only.. from previous experience I fit in the 3 door but not the 5 door.(that was the previous generation tho) 

work and home car is safe, it's the whole carparks that I need to use now and then.

Work and home is where my shit been attempted at the most lol

The random locations I thought she'd get stolen from are the ones I always come back to find her

42 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Why not a golf/polo exactly?

Do you not want an answer to your question lol

Sometimes things are popular because actually good/fit for purpose

Yeah...sometimes. Other times they're popular cause they offer the illusion of European grandeur at less than grandeur pricing...well...until shit goes wrong.

Are there actually any real horror stories regarding modernish Euros anyway?

They all seem to be motoring along, at least at the same rate as any other car their age. I mean my little french baguette is honestly easier to work on than the R34 is and everything seems in pretty good nick for its relative age. At least nothing obviously out of the ordinary. 

Given they all have german electrics now, I'd wager your golf/polo/whatever is likely similar.

So my mate a few years ago was sales at vw 

he he said those two charges 1.4s they were replacing under warranty at his dealer at one a week only due to the slow supply of new ones arriving

so yeah there are still horror cases out there

I don't know this, honestly - But is there any data on just how often 90's Nissans or corollas or whatever else is considered "reliable" and how often they were recalled/fixed under warranty etc?

It may very well have changed, but just going through daily society in the office carpark I see many euros, and the opinions of people who own them don't exactly scream "I wish I didn't buy this euro" or "I'll never do that again" etc.

30 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

I looked at one of those kits for Katie’s mazda3 

there are are a whole bunch of bad reviews (well for the 3s anyhow assuming kit is similar)

on on a side note in a Kia opioid currently  so vip it has a quilted leather head liner stumped comfy back seat as well

Just look at the recall list of Mini's over the years on Australian car reviews... All motor related. Every new mini gets a new motor and different problems. That f**king says something. Lots of death rattles and faulty timing chains THEN the new motors had wrong bottom end bearing clearances....
I like the look of the Peugeot RCZ and theyve dropped heaps in price, but mini engines, ew.

My reading had the 1st gen new mini were ok as using such an old design

2ng gen on bmw had to work out fwd layout and it took some effort

mil Peugeot 78k on it just out of warranty and everything in breaking. Turbo went the other day

she is replacing prior to next service as it just too expensive. Prob going a Toyota this time 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

I still love the look of these: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-Peugeot-406-Auto/SSE-AD-5719711?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5719711

Always held their price compared to other french cars.

Probably as they still one of the most elegant designs to date

Are there actually any real horror stories regarding modernish Euros anyway?

They all seem to be motoring along, at least at the same rate as any other car their age. I mean my little french baguette is honestly easier to work on than the R34 is and everything seems in pretty good nick for its relative age. At least nothing obviously out of the ordinary. 

Given they all have german electrics now, I'd wager your golf/polo/whatever is likely similar.

I’ve no real horror stories regarding modernish euros.

My Golf is nearly 170k kms and hasn’t missed an beat, I got to say I’m impressed given the reputation these things have in the past. And considering I bought it out of warranty...

14 hours ago, Leroy Peterson said:

I still love the look of these: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-Peugeot-406-Auto/SSE-AD-5719711?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5719711

Always held their price compared to other french cars.

Cover most of the front bar / headlights and it looks like a Calibra lol

14 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

I don't know this, honestly - But is there any data on just how often 90's Nissans or corollas or whatever else is considered "reliable" and how often they were recalled/fixed under warranty etc?

It may very well have changed, but just going through daily society in the office carpark I see many euros, and the opinions of people who own them don't exactly scream "I wish I didn't buy this euro" or "I'll never do that again" etc.

Post purchase dissonance? Strikes me that the kind of people buying those cars aren't going to be bragging about their $1000 services or that they made a financially unwise decision given depreciation too. It's probably more the cost of repairs than the frequency of breakdowns itself, but I've seen enough broken down late model VWs that I'd never buy one. The last was outside my house while I was washing my car - kid had lost the clutch in his 5 year old gold. I told him he should have bought Jap...said he did have an S15 til he lost his licence and then wasted his money on that ?

If a VW of a few years can't handle the daily grind over the twice factory power output and spirited driving that my 25 year old Jap car gets, then I reckon someone doesn't know how to make a reliable car; prolly the same people who fudge figures to pass emissions tests.

I CBF looking for statistical data to support, but it's pretty well known how hard the Japs went in the 80s (could have been earlier) to build the future reputation for reliability that they have now, particularly Toyota. 1JZ engineered to handle 500hp+. A Pulsar 1.6 engine with forged pistons. The RB30 bottom end...

The irony being that as far as their local market is concerned, the car need only last five years before it's taken off the road.