SAU Community

Optima Yellow Top On R33 Fitment

nick0729

Hello all, I am new here, thanks for sharing the professional information in sau.

My battery was dead and I am planning to get an optima yellow top for my r33 gtst s1(battery in the boot), I knew D51 will be direct swap, but I am keen to get a bigger one, does anyone know which one can be fit in to r33 without any modification? Is D34 or D35 can fit in easily? Thanks

Nick

Personally i choose size of battery based on OEM physical dimensions, with the highest CCA in that size. Makes fitment a lot easier and with low comp turbo cars, huge CCA is wasted anyway. I used to install batteries for a living and hated trying to jam the wrong size into any car, unless space, cables and hold down clamp permitted. Dealing with hack jobs later on sucks too, like those dodgy brass terminals, cut cables that need to be stretched and cheap hold down brackets with wingnuts

Edited by junkie

D51 is more than enough, I've been running one in my 3l stagea for years. don't forget these are reasonably low compression motors with good electronics so they start pretty easy. The only time I'd be a bit hesitant is if you have an aftermarket tune without good cold start.....even then you are a better to fix the cold start than get a bigger battery.

Like Junkie said the problem you are most likely to have is with poor adaption of the wrong battery size to the factory loom. Its the sort of thing that is normally OK for a while then you start to get annoying drop outs or undercharging because of poor connections.

BTW I think its D51R to get the terminals around the right way, double check before you order. The have models with terminals on either side, and also in either size