SAU Community

Gloves

LotusGTR

I have a new alcantara wheel and want to know what gloves might suit. Car is driven mostly on club sprint days and I'm not a massive fan of either the full blown logo'ed up 'race car driver' gloves or the Alan Partridge string back gloves look. I do not wear a race suit. I would consider them for the road as have darkest legal tint. So what choice for the gentleman racer?

Being serious I want grip comfort and to protect my beautiful wank wheel from wear.

Many thanks.

post-46395-14416226951716_thumb.jpg

Edited by LotusGTR

I used to spend 3 to 4 hours per day in the car driving from Wollongong to my offices in Liverpool, Parramatta, Ashfield and in town and would have to have skin cancers removed very year from my hands due to sun exposure. After having this done a few times I developed the need to always drive with gloves to protect my hands.

The trick is getting the compromise right between appearance, feel and suitability for the task - you do not always want to look like a boy racer. After using many set of gloves in many styles I have settled on two options.

Track work - I have a FIA approved set of Sparco gloves that have a nice soft feel and long cuffs that came down over my race suit.

Street driving - I use a Ironclad AGT glove that is available from Bunnings. It has a soft synthetic leather face and the backs are black elastic fabric that moulds to your hand and breathes.

Actually, got these but I'm still looking for a road solution. Been told the MG guys go for Dents gloves.....

Golf glove makes sense as grippy leather, soft, and designed to be tight across the palm with the hand clenched similar to the grip on a steering wheel. Will investigate further

Edited by LotusGTR

• 2 years later...