SAU Community

Drag Racing - (tba / Wed 16th September)

RB335

Hi Guys.

So I'm organizing a day for all us Skyline owners to go drag racing.

The whole point is to see how your car put's the power down and how quick you can go.

This event for those that know it is called Whoop Ass Wednesday.

For those that have not been before, I have done a write up to make things straight forward and to make your night more enjoyable.

Basically what you will need :

1. Road going and roadworthy car, no missing interior, seats.

2. Long sleeves and pants, closed footwear

3. Helmet that conforms to "AS/NZS 1698", ensure yours is not outdated, e.g one without the "NZS" bit will not be allowed, if you don't have one head down to your local motorbike shop to chose one that suits you.

4. Current Drivers Licence.

Location - Kwinana Motorplex.

Onde Onde road, just off Anketell Road, just follow the signs to the competitor entry gates

Time - Entry starts at 5PM and closes at 8PM. The earlier we get there, the more runs we get depending on how crowded it will be. I'm going to try ring up and see the possibility of placing us skylines in the same staging lane so we can race each other.

At the moment I am gathering interest to see if a few of us want to head down next Wednesday (16th), and we'll go from there.

If you are interested in bringing your car down, let me know. If you have any questions please do ask.

For those that have not been before, I've included some information and a guide below to make your night more enjoyable :

After you get your entry form from the competitor gate and pay your fee, take the first left, then another left as seen in the Youtube video, you will then come to the scruiteneering garage where some basic checks are done to your car, mainly no loose objects in interior, everything firm and secure in engine bay e.g battery, exhaust etc. Fill in the form given with your cars details, engine size etc then head to the table to get your wristband put on.

You will have a few numbers written down on your windows, and the number of the staging lane on your windscreen.

This is the lane that you must line up in every time.

As you leave the garage take a right and go to the staging lanes where all the other cars are lining up, line up in the staging lane that was given to your car, written on your windscreen.

Once your lane begins moving, your helmet must be on before you enter the track.

Once you get under the bridge, wait in the Blue Square (beginning of video).

Watch the officials as they will direct you forward when it's time.

Once you are waved in, you can drive to the wet area (0:10 seconds into video) if you chose to do a burnout.

If you don't chose to do a burnout, place your car just beside the wet area to keep your tyres dry.

Wait until instructed (0:17 in video), begin your burnout, or if not doing a burnout drive to the starting line (Green Cones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k9C-nhwhE0

(32 seconds in video above)

As your car nears the green cones, drive very slowly.
There will be two white lights at the top, one on your side and one on your competitors side. As you approach the cones, the top light will light up, this means you have about 20cm further to go until the second light comes up. Both lights must be on before the the run can begin. Very slowly move your car forward until both lights are on, then stop.

The lights will then light up and once you see green, off you go.

Keep accelerating and once you reach the readout boards, then stop accelerating and begin slowing down, drive all the way to the end of the track then take a left and stay on your left on the return lane. Do not exceed 30km/h as this is the speed limit for the return lane. As you return to the bridge area, slow down and window as there will be an official there who will hand you your time slip with your results, then continue driving and line up back in the same staging lane and do it all over again.

When off the track, please drive slowly and safely at all times for everybody elses safety and to ensure a good time.

Edited by RB335

Good write up mate. tonight is Datsun night at Whoop Ass Wednesday too. I went the Wednesday before which was the opening for the season in my Skyline and the timing lights at the end of the track weren't working, hopefully they will be when you're down there.

So I just phoned up the Motorplex. In order to be guaranteed to be placed in the same staging lane so we can race each other, we need 15 people who will definitely come down one night so they can set aside one staging lane just for us. If we can get the numbers then we can chose a date in the future that we will all come down on together.

Otherwise we can still go and get out and race our cars.

So let's see how many people are up for it and depending on the numbers we have, we'll see what we'll decide to do.

Please post up if you want to come down and depending how we go, if we have a small group - we can probably organize a small meet up south of the river and then all drive down to the drags together, if some of us coincidentally end up in the same lane we just may get to line up against another Skyline.

Thanks.

Edited by RB335

Just seeing if there is a possibility to get some decent numbers down for one night, doesn't have to be next week. If we can get 15 people up for one night then we can reserve a whole staging lane.

Edited by RB335