SAU Community

God Damn The Mk7 Golf Gti Clubsport Is Hot!

PranK

i looked at the mk7 golf. the touch screen/navigation setup has all these retarded VW features that would cause all sorts of issues once the system is abandoned for the next model. call me old fashioned, but automatic braking is a pretty scary concept. especially when the car didnt seem to any higher quality (interior or engine) parts than the Up! or base level polo. the GTI might be different, but their track record with the direct injectors, turbo/super charger, DSG, door locking systems and failure to issue recalls on any of those problems is enough to put me off.

i looked at the mk7 golf. the touch screen/navigation setup has all these retarded VW features that would cause all sorts of issues once the system is abandoned for the next model. call me old fashioned, but automatic braking is a pretty scary concept. especially when the car didnt seem to any higher quality (interior or engine) parts than the Up! or base level polo. the GTI might be different, but their track record with the direct injectors, turbo/super charger, DSG, door locking systems and failure to issue recalls on any of those problems is enough to put me off.

Ok, so lets set aside those (few) issues for a moment and just look at the car. Its really freaking sexy.

On to your other points ...

I have 2 VW's, bought both 2nd hand. The Bora is an amazing trooper of a car, 240k's down and feels like its only just getting warmed up. Old enough to be able to get parts on eBay cheaply from Germany or UK. The Passat is a really good family slug, its had its injectors done under recall and besides that theres only been a few small issues with it. Drives like its asleep, but we didnt buy it for excitement. It houses the family safely when we need to share freeways with people who shouldn't be allowed to walk unsupervised.

I don't think I would buy a new VW. Or, for that matter, another new-ish VW. I just dont trust the new ones.

• 5 months later...

The Golf GTI and R lead their class in interior quality, design and features and have done so since the MK5. The TFSI engine is a brilliant bit of kit.

My MK5 GTI Pirelli went from 169kW and 300Nm standard to ~260kW and 460Nm (212kW at the front wheels) with a few simple upgrades. Exhaust, intake, fuel pump upgrade and retune.

The MK7 GTI is rated at 162kW (169kW with the optional performance pack) and 350Nm. The MK7 R produces 206kW and 380NM. A Stage 1 retune increases these outputs to 235kW and 516Nm for the GTI and 283kW and 523Nm for the R. Nothing more than a retune with extra boost.

I was close to buying a MK7 R a month or so back after things fell through with Ford for a Focus RS and the styling of this is probably along the lines of what the R should have been considering the R is the top of the range performance Golf. Personally, I like the Clubsport. The extras that it has aesthetically over the stock GTi make you realise this is something extra unlike the current R which is more sleeper spec from the outside. The seats do look great and with the suede inserts on the interior, definitely is a nice touch (not that the leather in the R is anything to complain about). The whole FWD thing is what led me to wanting an R over a GTi, that and the R was a direct competitor to the RS. As I have read, a stage one tune and clutch upgrade for the manual is pretty much all you need to make the GTi (and LSD if you do not get the performance pack) and R more exciting. If nothing else, Renault, Ford, Honda etc will keep the game on the up for years to come. It's already off to a good start.

Bring on a decade of hot hatches running the world!

I can't wait to see what the next RS Megane will deliver.

The current RS265 and RS275 are absolutely brilliant! They may lack in a few areas in comparison to the Golf but they certainly make up for it in terms of the driving experience.

Renault state the RS265 produces 195kW (201kW for the 275 models) and 360Nm but from those in the know it's actually more than that.

Renault also state 0-100kmh in 6.0 (5.8 for the 275) but after a few minutes to acquaint myself I had my first attempt and despite a less than perfect launch recorded the data as per the attached RS Monitor screen shot.

Obviously the 0-400m time is significantly slower than what it's capable of.

post-81-0-00186600-1457598685_thumb.jpeg

Renault and the RS265 encourage the driver to explore its capabilities. It even has track tips loaded in the RS Monitor info!

Based on my results I've no doubt a stock 265 is capable of 0-100 in 5.6s

Exhaust, intercooler, intake, tune and extra boost results in roughly 250kW and 450Nm. They don't need anymore than that. Not many sub $45k cars can stick with one on a winding back road. The hardcore (no back seats, OEM super sticky rubber) RS275 Trophy R is quicker around the Nurburgring than the Merc AMG A45.

post-81-0-18829300-1457602643_thumb.jpeg