SAU Community

H1 Led Headlights

Pauly The R33

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hate replying to an old Thread, But i found limited resources on the matter. so ill just leave this here for future reference.

I have just put leds in my 33. and long story short, they are no good.

although very bright, the light scatters much to quickly without the aid of a projector, so basically the lights hurt your eyes to look at but dont illuminate much of the road.

also making to h1 clip fit around the cooling fans on the back of most leds was a nightmare, and the cap on the rear of the headlight housing wont fit them either,

puting standard bulbs back in tomorrow.

cheers

i have had them in my r32 gtr for years, i love them, 
set up properly they work very well, they seem to get allot of keyboard hate but when their setup properly they work very well with no "blinding" bullshit.

the reason i went for LEDs is because i dont like the shitty blue tinge light of HIDs and their are NO good options for ordinary bulbs. their just rubbish for R32s.

i would like to go retro fitted HIDs but i have N1 lights so not really an option and quite expensive.

Edited by GH05T

3 hours ago, GH05T said:

i have had them in my r32 gtr for years, i love them, 
set up properly they work very well, they seem to get allot of keyboard hate but when their setup properly they work very well with no "blinding" bullshit.

the reason i went for LEDs is because i dont like the shitty blue tinge light of HIDs and their are NO good options for ordinary bulbs. their just rubbish for R32s.

i would like to go retro fitted HIDs but i have N1 lights so not really an option and quite expensive.

interesting, I have N1 lights as well and was recently looking at LED lights to improve the current setup

any particular brand you used or ebay one? got any comparison pics or current pic of the setup?

And your pictures prove your lights have heaps of glare and foreground  :4_joy:

Yes, there are H4 LED bulbs that try to mimic the halogen output, even Philips has one (not legal, 5,000 hrs rated lifespan and very expensive). But this thread is about H1. Adjustable ones are obviously good to get the best out of them, but at the end of the day you're trying to shove a different set of optics into something that wasn't designed to handle them.

https://images.philips.com/is/image/PhilipsConsumer/12953BWX2-APP-global-001?$jpglarge$&hei=700

thats HighBeam your looking at from a phone camera, hey im not here to sell a product.

if i had the choice of standard globes vs led i would defiantly prefer to actually see. the optics designed in the 80s are not my cup of tea so yeah im defiantly looking to retrofit something better. and i would recommend anyone with projectors look at retrofitting the whole unit. why stick with very very poor light output?

H1 vs H4 is more to do with the connections, the question as i read it is more to do with the LED system vs halogen.

but hey man, if you dont want to use them im not gonna have a go at you, im just putting forward my experience with the options asked about.

Edited by GH05T

17 hours ago, GH05T said:

thats HighBeam your looking at from a phone camera, hey im not here to sell a product.

No point comparing halogen low beam to LED high beam then aye, why not post both or swap one and leave one halogen :rolleyes:
Oh and look up foreground lighting and how it affects your vision while driving. And there are other factors that affect output, e.g. hazed lenses, which R33s tend to have. Clear them up and throw in some Osram NBU/Narva Blue Plus bulb and then save up for a retrofit.

If LEDs did work, I'd happily recommend them, but unfortunately they are not an upgrade. And yes the R32 projectors are atrocious. This thread is talking about R33 reflectors though, which don't have a cutoff shield to reduce glare.