SAU Community

Illicit Drugs

GTR-N1

aka euphemistically as party drugs, recreational drugs etc

should be called Fark Up Your Brain drugs!

These are the most evil insidious things on earth that will infiltrate demotivate and destroy future generations in what has been a great country.

They've progressed from pot to lsd to heroin to speed to coke to ecs to ice to flakka...

All cause a spike in a variety of up to ten or eleven brain neurotransmitters aka endorphins and leave the user dead in the water. The nice spike can last hours or only a few minutes.

By chasing after the original hit - hit after hit -

a) families get screwed up

b) money goes to the drug lords and down the chain of command

c) chromosomes get affected in offspring

Do you know people who've just 'lost it' on drugs? Alcohol is not illicit but yeah, it's a sleeper...

Someone in my family, complete drop kick who you can't even hold a conversation with anymore.
Now they have issues with anger and mental health.

All thanks to weed, which many people will preach that it's not addictive or harmful.

Try telling that to them, they wake up before work and smokes 10 bongs and then another few at work and then as many as they can before bed.

I still remember the day they told me "everything is alright in moderation"

Without defending any drugs and being "that guy", I'm not even interested in hearing about illicit drugs prior to alcohol as i have lost family and friends to it and it is a much larger problem, but then again yes, everything in moderation.

• Like 5

Sounds like a lot of opinions in here.

There are some legitimate uses for current 'illicit drugs"

Marijuana in the treatment of people with chronic illnesses for example. It is used medicinally and legally around the world.

MDMA for the treatment of PSTD. (common in trial treatments of returned servicemen)

Ketamine for Bipolar

Psychedelics for anxiety, depression. (Psilocybin & LSD)

• Like 3

very true, there is a drastically wide range shoved into "illicit drugs"
most annoying thing is that allot of chemicals with real world uses are banned even from research due to their classifications. a bit stupid to say the least.

• Like 1

I have done a lot of research into this topic and there are many recreational drugs that are perfectly safe to use.

Safer in fact than many of the drugs a Dr will prescribe.

Sorry if you have recently experience some person loss by the way.

This is a very enlightening read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-real-cause-of-addicti_b_6506936.html?ir=Australia

So is this one:

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/time-to-end-the-war-on-drugs

That's a very sweeping statement there and one I disagree with. You cannot guarantee the safety of any recreational drug for everyone even if a majority of users are fine with it.

I also reject the notion of them being less harmful than prescribed medicine (not that prescribed medicines haven't killed anyone before, but the incidence, numbers and frequency are much less than deaths from OD of illicit drugs).

What old mate in huff post article doesn't understand (it took him 3.5 years to work out that drugs are synonymous with the poor and underprivileged?), is that the brain produces its own chemical hook, dopamine, amongst other neurotransmitters. This is where gambling becomes a chemical addiction through the reward system we have in all of us. Most humans experience this kind of addiction one way or another in their daily life, on a lesser scale - putting your foot down in a fast car, switching on your favourite tv show, killing people in a video game and winning. Gambling is only a problem addiction because it can cost a lot of money and isn't repeatable after that without borrowing money. Then it becomes about a complex downward spiral chasing losses and holding onto hope that doesn't exist. People don't enjoy gambling without money at stake because the reward isn't as great; it has to mean something to the person hence problem addiction. You directly control the severity of your highs and lows by choosing how much you gamble; winning $1000 is a bigger high than $100. It's an extreme high and an extreme low, consistently alternating between the two and that's where gambling is a powerful and encapsulating experience.

He neglects to mention this potential downward spiral in his rat analogy, where a lot of people have good lives but fall from grace; end up addicted to drugs and on the street after simply trying a few times (and vice versa if you're a successful rapper).

And here is where I make my sweeping but legitimate statement that drug use is not limited to an underprivileged demographic and that these users are the obvious ones because they are the ones buying cheap shit, unable to financially support their habit, ODing on it with no one around, and hanging with the kind of people who have fallen from grace due to excessive drug use.

You can argue that a certain compulsive personality type is predisposed to this sort of uncontrollable addiction, but as a society we need to account for and protect that, which is why illicit drugs are so. A lot of people cannot think or research for themselves, or control their actions, or consider consequences before acting, therefore you need limitations and safe education somewhere, so that even if people are determined to try, they at least do so cautiously instead of jumping head first into it.

• Like 3

And Branson's article...

The paper, published by Cato in April 2011, found that in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled.

No shit sherlock. Illegal drug use went down when they made it not a crime to use drugs? Who'd have thought.

Number of people seeking addiction treatment more than doubled - is this a good measure of effective treatment or a reflection of an increase in addicts? I would need better inferences than this to be convinced decriminalisation is the way to go...

And Branson's article...

No shit sherlock. Illegal drug use went down when they made it not a crime to use drugs? Who'd have thought.

Please don't confuse possession and use. They decriminalised possession. use went down subsequently.

You state that they decriminalised use and illegal use went down. Incorrect.

• Like 1