SAU Community

Illicit Drugs

GTR-N1

I'd like to add that over the new year period, I met the almost literal embodiment of Stoner Sloth. My partner's sister's girlfriend (yes, girlfriend....though looks exactly like a late-teen boy...). I have never encountered such a being; I was sure they were only in myths and tales, or unfortunate cases as Manuel has experienced....but lo and behold, this chick was fried from the most excessive use I've ever personally known. There were a few years of abusing a great many other substances under her belt, but her cannabis use was obscene. In 3-4 days she'd gone through what I would in almost 2 months if I were smoking excessively. Somewhere in that head was a nice enough girl when you could catch her....otherwise a whole heap of spaghetti.

You guys are missing the point again. I'll put it into perspective:

Your argument....

I can go out and drink. I'll happily have 1 beer and be done. Therefore there is no issue with alcohol in this country.

When in truth alcohol related deaths is double what road deaths is. Yet 1 in 4 women drink whilst pregnant.alcohol brings in 7b in revenue. But it costs us over 15b.

It's about percentages. And if you think drugs won't be as bad you are kidding yourselves.

This is right, and is the argument that XGTRX is making.

I personally know many people exactly like Trozzle and Sleptema are talking about. Actual, responsible users who don't let it get the better of them, or get ahead of them. Pretty much the drug equivalent of the example above, a person CAN go out and drink once, and be just fine and it doesn't result in a multi car pileup while drunk off your face.

Should alcohol be illegal?

This really comes down to personal responsibility. Australia is very, very, very ver very over policed and bad at this culturally. It's kind of why we live in a Nanny state.

I found this interesting:

I think the concepts between drug and alcohol use are effectively the same. The problem really isn't the drug, or the alcohol, or the speed limits, or the safety of cars, or the guns in America.

It's the people using them and the information they don't have/the smarts they don't possess. The question is where should the line be drawn legally to protect people too stupid to protect themselves (and in effect, can hurt others). Countries like Germany have no speed limit, people fire off their own fireworks in the street, while drunk, with random people around, and everyone is OK with this because no one seems to be stupid and people seem to have this sense of personal responsibility.

Yet in Australia you have people getting smashed with mates and one-punch killing people. Kids in Italy drink wine at age 6 with their meal and have no problems whatsoever.

How do you get from where we are, to there culturally? Because really - That's the core problem, and I personally believe the answer is more information, more knowledge, more testing and actual open mindedness legally.

• Like 3

How do you get from where we are, to there culturally? Because really - That's the core problem, and I personally believe the answer is more information, more knowledge, more testing and actual open mindedness legally.

This

or strangle stupid people at birth and relax the laws haha

Hey troy what is it that you do (work wise) again?

Feel free to pm.

Also no answer from anyone to my previous question

I wasn't sure if your previous question was rhetorical or bait haha... No, I don't believe it should be illegal. The way we treat it culturally as noted needs to change though, as currently alcohol has PLENTY of justification for prohibition above cannabis etc, though that doesn't mean it should be illegal. Everyone should be free to do as they wish to their own body within reason, so long as it doesn't impact society in any way inclusive of public healthcare. Our cultural (ab)use of alcohol needs to be toned down, and we need plenty more education on all substance use.

But if it's an argument where cannabis cannot be legal, by any merit of the argument alcohol and tobacco should also be illegal.

Ice. Can hardly make those numbers a blanket statement about all drugs.

"The assistant commissioner said that 78 per cent people testing positive for drugs, were ice users."

"While the data for the number of fatalities involving the drug in 2014 had not yet been analysed, he said the number of ice-affected fatalities overtook the number of alcohol-affected fatalities in 2013."

Once again, none of us have said that crystal-methamphetamine isn't a problem, or should be legal. Don't know why it keeps coming up as an argument tbh...

http://abc.net.au/news/2015-01-01/police-to-double-roadside-drug-testing-in-victoria/5995776"

Yeah ice is some scary stuff. I remember hearing some news article a while back about a patient in emergency on ice who had to be restrained because he started eating his eyeball.

Actually scares me more than anything in this world, to think that there is something out there that can hallucinate you to the point that you believe eating yourself is a viable option.

This is coming from a guy who has a pretty open mind, and is willing to try almost anything. But logic and reason obviously play a large part in my decisions to try something new. I see the risk far outweighing the positives in that scenario.

Edited by sleptema