SAU Community

New Fuel Pumps, New To Me Anyway!

Gcjosh

Hi all,

So I was at a efi shop yesterday and I was talking to the owner about fuel setups.

He mentioned that on all his high performance cars he now runs the Bugatti fuel pumps.

He didn't have any to show me but apparently they are quite long and thin, so they are perfect to mount to your chassis rail, no need for a lift pump as they have two parts, one sucks the other pumps.

They pump out around 750L a minute if my memory is correct and are only around the $450 mark..

An interesting and certainly cheaper option than running lift pumps, dual pumps etc

The brand is Pierburg, they are a nice pump, the only one that will suck fuel up a hose from the bottom of a tank so they have their uses, but installing them is hard in most setups. 750L per minute seems a little optimistic though. :P

There are two types, the higher flowing version is around 360L per hour.

Personally I feel the the Walbro 460L is the better option, and half the price.

• Like 2

Yeah Scotty I got a 460, it was more for guys needing more, which I certainly won't [emoji16]

More what? They flow 100LPH less than the 460L Walbro does at least, model dependant. The Veyron needs 4 of these Pierburg's I believe.

Im interested, because the REAL Bugatti pump (ti automotive L5LM) requires a brushless motor controller to run. and is bloody difficult to find a supplier, they're around the $700-800 USD mark. plus you need a brushless VSD controller

flows tremendous amounts at high pressures and low current levels. its a progressive cavity screw pump.

there is also a DC version that is similar form factor but only flows ~330lph that will be the pierburg others are referring to. generally is shown with a blue band around the body.

found this place selling the real deal for USD$795.... it flows 458l/hr at 5 Bar (72.5psi), at only 10.5 amps.

http://www.jayracing.com/fuel-pumps-c-2_5/jay-racing-pro-series-l5lm-veyron-brushless-screw-fuel-pump-p-52147.html

L5LM_JR_Data_Sheet.jpg

Edited by burn4005

yea, for that cash a pwm fuellab is the ticket.

you need to be a bit careful if you use the electronic regulator. for cars that snap on boost very suddenly with a big jump in injector flow the pump can be a bit slow to react and you see a pressure dip.

better to map a aux pwm output on a 3d load table from the ecu to pre-empt instead of react.

i've got a boost-a-pump and a 20khz capable solid state relay, will report how a walbro 460 goes at 16v or so on a pwm drive. i've heard numbers like 568l/hr for a 460 at those voltages being thrown around, compared to 389l/hr at 13.5V.

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 2

i've got a boost-a-pump and a 20khz capable solid state relay, will report how a walbro 460 goes at 16v or so on a pwm drive. i've heard numbers like 568l/hr for a 460 at those voltages being thrown around, compared to 389l/hr at 13.5V.

Why stop at 16v. Lean on that sucker hard. :P

Kenne Bell have said that the walbros fail with sustained use at 17v and above from their own testing. I only need 420lph or so on e85 at 28psi and 8300rpm if my VE map is accurate, so 16v should do it. I suspect the VE will fall away above 24 or so psi due to the small turbines on the hks2530s, so it will probably end up being less.

Edited by burn4005

• 2 years later...

Im running the Pierburg L3LM being fed by two holley hydramats, a 17.5v boost a pump and an aston martin fuel pump control module (siemens VDO 7H42-9D372-AA) they take a 100hz signal and up-sample to 20khz pwm power drive.

works great, and the L3LM at 17.5v flows about 430lph at 70psi. and only 17a draw. 

will be attempting 500awkw worth of E85 early next month so we'll see how it goes.

image-20171202_173205.thumb.jpg.5c9007b0a23d4aee44610a3d9d690459.jpg

IMG_20171202_203043.thumb.jpg.9f6e8c91f7264a3018ea9df745fb6cf9.jpg

Edited by burn4005