SAU Community

M35 W/bose - New Head Unit But No Sound, Help Please

malialipali

Hi All,

Hope someone is kind enough to point me in the right direction.

My metra dash kit arrived early this week.

This morning I took it all apart swapped out the pop out screen and vents , and put the new head unit in its new space.

Using the guides found here , I spliced the HU wiring in. Powers up but no sound.

Check double check then triple check all ok .

Removed splicing , went and got a Aerpro Nissan to ISO adapter. plugged it in (all wiring matches to what was previously done) Powers up , but no sound.

Ok might be a dodgy head unit.

Plug back in the old Bose tapedeck and stacker. Plays like it should.

Triple check all my wiring again all ok, Pull out the 100% working JVC from my Liberty ( its gotta come out anyway) , Plug it in and no sound. Plug in the new JVC double din into Liberty plays like it should.

At this point Im confused as heck. Is there a separate AMP with the Bose unit that powers the speakers? I'm struggling to see what I missed.

Do i need low line converters between the new deck and factory loom for the speakers?

I have the spare tyre sub too and would like to get it working (guessing splice RCA into existing signal wiring?)

Any help at all greatly appreciated.

Edited by malialipali
  • Like 1

Hi Matt and Kieren

thank you

This pointed me in the right direction , ive located a G35 wiring diagram where the wire colours/pinouts match.

In the next three hours Im gonna locate the speaker amp and make sure it matches up. Jaycar opens in 4 hrs where I will go and buy the hi-->low line converters.

I can see which wire is the remote to trigger the two amps as well.

Confident I will get it to work as now I have a understanding of the bose setup. Which seems to be HU--> Lowline Out to Speaker Amp/ Sub Amp --> Speakers/Sub

Will let you guys know what the outcome is

• Like 1

Why dont you just bypass the amp and run new speaker wires.

The new unit will have a better built in amp anyway. Otherwise you will convert it to low then back to high where sound quality is reduced each tine you convert.

Hi Brad

just confirmed all the wiring, the G35 schematic has different colours but the pinouts are correct. I've chucked the idea of hi-->lo--.high and just gonna use the low outs on the deck with RCA spliced into stock wiring.

Id love to go all new wiring and speakers but quite time poor at the moment. The new deck is so I can listen to MP3s and nave BT calling. If my stacker hadnt died I would have just added BT via the AUX on the tv tuner.

However I will next year run new speakers etc.

My biggest issue was that I had not wired up the amp trigger wire.

UPDATE!

Sound Glorious sound !!! Ended up going to Bunnings (couldn't wait for 11am for shops to open) bought 6 RCA ends and made up my own cables , soldered them into the ISO connector.

Works absolutley perfectly and the , surprised actually how good it sounds.

Gonna wire in the sub signal separately to have explicit control.

Thank you all for your help - all I needed was confirmation there was a separate speaker amp in the end.

Another update .

Went for a nice long drive last night (literally for the hell of it) .

Im blown away at the sound improvement from just adding a new HU. The spare tyre sub is quite good for what it is. By separating the signal for the sub away from the stock amp and having control is simply sublime.

Nice, post a pic of your dash, I'm about to do something similar.

I don't have a factory bose sound system so I guess I won't have the amp either, isn't it?

Got a bluetooth JVC head unit, want to put it in the upper glove box and integrate my Nexus 7 instead of the original unit to have GPS and everything you can get from android. running the sound through bluetooth to the hidden head unit.

JVC has an android app to control the head unit remotely (sources, ....)

Non Bose should be straight up wire up. Or even better a Nissan--> ISO harness from Supercheap/Autobarn, the antenna adaptor is $9.99 from Autobarn.

Pic of new metra dash kit and head unit. (the metra kit isnt a 100% perfect fit) , since the photo Ive clipped the surround trim in flush.

aD3kXZw.jpg

Looks clean ! Got the harness already and cut off the ISO and wired it up to the JVC harness so I don't have to touch the car cables.

Ordered a double din oem facia from ebay for $100 but it arrived broken (thanks AUSPost ...) so I returned it... which explains why I didn't fit everything yet.. don't want to open everything up twice..

Do you think the car oem harness will be long enough to reach the upper glove box ?

I was also thinking about cutting (dremel) the oem head unit off the facia with a dremel but it might not look as clean as I would like so still waiting to see if AUSPOST insurance is gonna be enough to get a new facia as I can't find another $100 one....

Nice, post a pic of your dash, I'm about to do something similar.

I don't have a factory bose sound system so I guess I won't have the amp either, isn't it?

Got a bluetooth JVC head unit, want to put it in the upper glove box and integrate my Nexus 7 instead of the original unit to have GPS and everything you can get from android. running the sound through bluetooth to the hidden head unit.

JVC has an android app to control the head unit remotely (sources, ....)

you just need ISO adapter, no need to do hi - lo - hi connection.

Edited by YangLIU

Do you think the car oem harness will be long enough to reach the upper glove box ?

oooo you might struggle, with the iso harness and HU harness on top of the OEM you should get there.

If you were in WA id lend you my pantorouter it would cut a perfect copy of a double din (or any shape /size you have a template for ) cutout in the original fascia

I don't have the bose head unit so the aircon control is separated.

Err... The non-Bose head unit also has the integrated controls on the AR-X...

Only non integrated was the single DIN on the RS. Maybe the Japanese owner fitted that set up to your car?

Err... The non-Bose head unit also has the integrated controls on the AR-X...

Only non integrated was the single DIN on the RS. Maybe the Japanese owner fitted that set up to your car?

Oh really ! I thought I could just get a double din facia, get rid of the installed non bose head unit and keep the aircon controls still ...

So I'd need the aircon board too ? :/

Oh really ! I thought I could just get a double din facia, get rid of the installed non bose head unit and keep the aircon controls still ...

So I'd need the aircon board too ? :/

got a pic to confirm what your car looks like?