SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

6 hours ago, kingtube69 said:

Are you doing boost control through the ECU? 

yes and running it in boost by ethanol % mode. Its recently been added to the adaptronic software package. I have it set to run around 20 psi when ethanol % is over 65 and 18 psi when under that. Does it automatically.Tried running 22 psi but decided against it due to wheelspin issues in the mid range.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to sandown on saturday. Car ran strong all day. The morning sessions where wet as and a bit of a waste, i could of went faster with some oars and floaties. The afternoon was dry and the times tumbled. The 33 went 5.5 secs quicker than its last sandown and 2.3 secs faster than my own pb. Ended up with a 1:25.94. Was  pretty stoked with that. Race chrono says theoretically i could have been in the high 24's which is quite believable as i messed up the exit of the slow corner at dandenong rd. I think the car could probably do 22-23 in better hands as it is. Had no issues throughout the day and the bonnet was only lifted for a looksie. The intima sr brake pads and rda 324mm discs worked well with some 35mm agi pipe ducts i rigged up. Video footage below.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Update, unfortunately not a good one. Headed out to Sandown last weekend to the wrx day trying to better my pb. Things didn't go to plan. Didn't even manage to complete 1 lap and my turbo decided to pack it in. I went home and spent the afternoon removing the turbo. This is what was found.

5f87dc452a1693fd4829006d1f5c1894.jpg

Broken turbine and heaps of shaft play.
Google says that broken turbine is usually because valve or piston fragments have let go and impacted the blades. I panicked and did a comp test to see if anything was out of wack. I was pleasantly surprised with figures between 156 to 162 cold. This engine had tested just under the 170 mark hot a little over a year ago. I dare say it will be pretty close to that when hot. I will test it again, when its all back together and running.

d16eaf61120bd2da6b6d6fbae732389e.jpg

Compressor rub

9ddbe84db6acd5a56418ed2bfb45949e.jpg

I have sent the turbo away to be analysed and be rebuilt to the same specs. The analysis showed a collapsed bearing caused the shaft play which led to rubbing and breakage. Most probably due to an oil supply issue. When comp testing I confirmed plenty of oil flow through the turbo feed (via the huge oil puddle on my driveway) so it rules out anything there. I did have an incident at the start of this year, where a hole had developed in the oil feed and the turbo ran for a few minutes without full oil pressure. Im thinking, that must have hurt it and was the beginning of the end. I did feel like the turbo sounded slightly different after that.

The broken turbine blade went out the exhaust after hitting the dump pipe, nearly piercing it. I have had it spot welded now to reinforce it.

3b3225aa46574fe2592e330b32c166a9.jpg

The turbo is being rebuilt atm. With a bit of luck I will have it back and be reinstalling it this weekend. I will also replace the oil feed with a new one I have in my box of spares, just for piece of mind.

^^^ That sucks man :( Wasting a perfectly good track day only adds insult to injury – why can't these thing break at the end of the day instead?!

Good to hear that you're getting it sorted so quickly though, and that there's a valid reason on why it may have happened, at least you don't need to chase ghosts...

It would have been good to post a decent time at least b4 it went but hey, shit happens. I was chasing my tail for a little while until the turbo was dismantled and the theory of why it happened is the only plausible scenario that makes any sense. I'll run with that for now, if it happens again, i'll have to revisit. Lol.

I haven't read your whole thread, so apologies if you have done oil control work on your car. Our track car has remarkably similar specs to yours, including the HG 21u Highflow & power level. We've broken the HG turbo twice in the last 12 months, both times bearing issues looking to be caused by oil starvation. The first time it was suggested that the oil cooler might be restricting oil flow enough to affect the turbo, so we removed it. The second time we decided it was most likely to be the oil pump sucking air during hard cornering, as the oil in the sump sloshed around. Have now put an extended baffled sump on, and fitted an oil return from the back of the head - will see what happens from there. If you haven't already addressed oil control I would give this some thought. Our Turbo also now has a CBB core.

• Like 1

I haven't read your whole thread, so apologies if you have done oil control work on your car. Our track car has remarkably similar specs to yours, including the HG 21u Highflow & power level. We've broken the HG turbo twice in the last 12 months, both times bearing issues looking to be caused by oil starvation. The first time it was suggested that the oil cooler might be restricting oil flow enough to affect the turbo, so we removed it. The second time we decided it was most likely to be the oil pump sucking air during hard cornering, as the oil in the sump sloshed around. Have now put an extended baffled sump on, and fitted an oil return from the back of the head - will see what happens from there. If you haven't already addressed oil control I would give this some thought. Our Turbo also now has a CBB core.

Thanks for your in depth response. I don't have any oil control mods. I will keep it in mind and look into the extended sump option. I know of others that have run highflows for a long time doing track work with stock oil setup without issue. Our experience has obviously not been the same. In your case, going to a bb core should solve your problem as they require less oil. I am going to persevere with the bush core and if I have another failure will most likely take the same course of action you have.

What oil where you running in yours?

Where you overfilling the sump at all?

Cool, thanks for that. I run Castrol edge 10w-60 and also roughly a litre over.

I use the same oil but this makes me think I should overfill more for the track. Also how do you get the old oil out of the cooler circuit without undoing any fittings? Last time I dropped the oil I only got just over 4 litres out so heaps left I there..

I change my oil quite frequently, I haven't bothered with draining the cooler yet, as the remaining oil will still be in good nick. I generally unplug the cas and crank the engine over a few times trying to get whatever I can out. After an extended period of say 2 years I will eventually drain the cooler dry and start the process over. I wouldn't overfill the sump by more than a litre. Probably do more harm than good.

• Like 1

I change my oil quite frequently, I haven't bothered with draining the cooler yet, as the remaining oil will still be in good nick. I generally unplug the cas and crank the engine over a few times trying to get whatever I can out. After an extended period of say 2 years I will eventually drain the cooler dry and start the process over. I wouldn't overfill the sump by more than a litre. Probably do more harm than good.

Cheers Bill. What's your oil level on the dipstick with the 1l overfill?

Cheers Bill. What's your oil level on the dipstick with the 1l overfill?

Probably around 15-20 mm. Best way to go about it would be to fill your oil to the full mark normally and then measure 1l and add afterwards.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Semis fitted.
fa1348e12bf7a055691b4448c5aad1eb.jpg

Couldn't find any quality 2nd hand rims in the right size and offset. Ended up deciding to use my old school volks as my track wheels and bought some te37 reps that I found in the size I was after 18 x 9 +22 for daily duties. I contemplated using the reps on the track but came to the conclusion, I like my life and would like to continue living. Lol, as a bonus the car now has a different look, which I'm liking.

b17463064b9d392a8bb2c1d0d21c01b5.jpg
4b295371e06c230a5d426c5ad09dc5f3.jpg
d0d3bd73f4c2428bd997aba4887a632a.jpg
fb26e27138b4b1dbb2c4c1fb308a4447.jpg0c94b93bd486df9373f9ef5a31d803b1.jpg301ef07f8533086ed0d615ccd15890da.jpg

There was a slight issue with clearance on the cusco camber arm at the front as the profile on the A050 is 10mm taller, a tweak of the superpro bushes gave the required clearance and a little more neg camber, happy days. I'm eager to put the new tyres to use. Will probably head to Sandown again in a few weeks time.

Also had the ad08r rotated and flipped while they where being fitted to the new wheels.

• Like 2