SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

On 14/03/2017 at 4:06 PM, admS15 said:

Fast forward and some splitfire coilpacks where purchased and fitted, as well as some intima type d pads, i tried running 1mm spark gaps but that didn't work out so i settled at .8. Hit sandown again yesterday and again had issues in the morning with misfire, gapped the plugs to .7 and all was well. The type d pads took some getting used to compared to the sr, i found they needed a heat cycle to actually start working well and required more pedal force, with that said they stopped bloody well.

Hey Bill that's interesting about the Type D's, I had a similar experience with my previous cheapo Remsa pads where the first lap was ok, second lap was shocking (no bite), and then they started biting really well. The Intima SR's are definitely better than the Remsas all around. How do the Type D's compare to the SR since you've had both? Are they scary on the street when cold?

Hey Bill that's interesting about the Type D's, I had a similar experience with my previous cheapo Remsa pads where the first lap was ok, second lap was shocking (no bite), and then they started biting really well. The Intima SR's are definitely better than the Remsas all around. How do the Type D's compare to the SR since you've had both? Are they scary on the street when cold?

They're quite acceptable on the street, they have a fair bit less bite when cold than sr but still good, a minor amount of squeel occasionally.

On the track, once up to temp they are fantastic, could brake a little later. In the first session they felt odd, may have not bedded in enough. Not sure if I'd go type d again or go back to sr. I'll let you know after I've had some more time with them.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Type-D pads are a progressive pad rather than a bitey pad, however won't fade as fast as other pads.

John Richardson and Tim Burt both use them on their track cars and both love them. However it's not everyone's cup of tea though. 

I also use them, but it's true they do lack that initial "throw you into the dash" feeling but, that's often as seen as a false security. With more weight shift leads to more snap over steer.

Useless rambles on a Friday afternoon as usual lol.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Headed out to Phillip Island yesterday. Was a successful day, no major dramas bar a cooler pipe that popped off in 1 of the sessions. Managed a new PB lap time of 1:54.41 which is roughly what i was estimating. The car ran strong and the catch can remained  empty after 30+ lap (I was getting a fair amount of blow by at sandown but i think it was because the sump was overfilled too much). Was only 40 cars entered for the day, so there was plenty of track time, could have done closer to 40 laps if i didn't pop the cooler pipe and had some more fuel, I skipped out on the last session. My dash cam played up, so unfortunately i dont have footage of the best lap. The only footage i have is of a 56.6. I also recently bought a qstarz gps logger to use with race chrono and am happy to report it is extremely accurate vs natsoft. Data and video below 

pi race chrono pb lap.png

pi race chrono map.png

• Like 3

Also put the car on the weighbridge. 1383kg around 20ltrs fuel, no rear seats and boot trimmings. Forgot the jack and tools in there so could have been 5kg less. Around 1500 with me and decent fuel load in it. The intima type d's performed spot on and I had no issues whatsoever with braking other than braking too much coz scared. Was tipping in to turn 1 around 170 and holding it. Some guys go in at 190. Scary stuff.IMG20170709104235.jpgIMG20170709104255.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Needs more GT Wing!

The Intima Type-D take some time to get used to but once you're used to them they're great!

Also needs proper LSD, front splitter, bigger brakes and some new tyres. Unfortunately don't think any of that is going to happen any time soon coz street car. I should be able to do around a flat 1:50 around PI without any aero anyway. Might just try improving my driving for now. Seat time is king. When the times stop improving, thats when i'll start looking to make some enhancements.

• Like 1

I've thought about it but that would mean removing my carbon boot lid and adding extra weight and drag. Will definitely consider when the times aren't improving but would rather keep the carbon boot lid in place and get an aftermarket wing made that isn't mounted on the boot itself.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, inmaniac said:

I never realised that your car is essentially what I'm aspiring to LOL.

Had a solid skim of this thread, nice work dude.

Yeah, it's pretty much the tried and true method. Simple,reliable and decent enough power with e85. I pretty much slapped together bits and pieces i already had and parts i was able to source for decent prices and ended up with this, worked well in the end. Ironically, the last couple of things i've done are similar to what you did recently in regards to upgrading the stereo system.  I'll make a post about it when i get some time.

• 1 month later...

Time for a bit of an update. Nothing has happened in the terms of any mods, installed a new android head unit, Kenwood amp and some jaycar kevlar speakers. Sounds ok now. Also bought and fitted a greddy boost gauge to replace the busted apexi one i had, also fitted a grex gear knob. Tinted the led tail lights a darker red as well. Looks heaps better now.

IMG20170804150442.thumb.jpg.b72b6a2d404c40f29137b7059c33866e.jpgIMG20170814173836.thumb.jpg.91becbf7edbcb82b9ba643b47b24afc2.jpgIMG20170811160436.thumb.jpg.de8b6ec2fb951942cfb44cbbb9bbc363.jpgIMG20170811160944.thumb.jpg.c0f65f6831d95751edc742027553b643.jpg

Managed to get to a track day at Sandown, it was raining all day, hail hitting the windscreen at 200+ km/h isn't fun. Best thing that happened all day was this photo

21167350_1370021149781719_8042476462089556955_o.thumb.jpg.af0043db9194c415edee3650027dd54b.jpg

And more recently i had some bodywork done. Ive never been happy with the rear quarters, it had heaps of imperfections and blemishes where the over fenders where moulded in, was also some paint bubbles forming around the quarter windows so i had it all fixed and the rear quarters and doors repainted. Haven't got any proper pics yet but these will do for now.

cid_336.thumb.jpeg.87450df2828d733d15c45fe756c2beb3.jpeg

image.jpg.bbea9d64c52bb95a2d1b830128cf419a.jpg

• Like 4

On 14/03/2017 at 4:06 PM, admS15 said:

It's been a while since i've updated. I've done 2 more track days, both at sandown (it's close to home). The car has had a few little tweaks, rear ride height was raised 15-20mm , rear sway bar set to stiffer spot, front sway bar 1 position stiffer. The first track day was run in this configuration, the day started well and the car showed potential almost matching my pb on the first flying lap but it was not to be, the rest of the day was a struggle with intercooler pipe dramas and misfire at high rpm. Fast forward and some splitfire coilpacks where purchased and fitted, as well as some intima type d pads, i tried running 1mm spark gaps but that didn't work out so i settled at .8. Hit sandown again yesterday and again had issues in the morning with misfire, gapped the plugs to .7 and all was well. The type d pads took some getting used to compared to the sr, i found they needed a heat cycle to actually start working well and required more pedal force, with that said they stopped bloody well. A  new PB of 1:24.30 was set in the 2nd session, 0.7 faster than previous PB as well as 2 other laps under that before more intercooler pipe dramas surfaced. I need to go through all the clamps and replace them all as they've seen better days. There was also an odd noise coming from the turbo area throughout the day. Turns out it was an exhaust leak as i worked out this morning when i cold started it to drive to work. Hot side will most likely have to be removed to fix. Damn cars, lol.

Video of fastest lap

and a bit of a shit my pants moment, i'll just leave this here.

Im surprised new Splitfires you need to regap to 0.7?

I would have thought that would handle much larger gaps easy

I might have a coilpack issue atm and just looking at splitfires

18 hours ago, admS15 said:

Time for a bit of an update. Nothing has happened in the terms of any mods, installed a new android head unit, Kenwood amp and some jaycar kevlar speakers. Sounds ok now. Also bought and fitted a greddy boost gauge to replace the busted apexi one i had, also fitted a grex gear knob. Tinted the led tail lights a darker red as well. Looks heaps better now.

IMG20170804150442.thumb.jpg.b72b6a2d404c40f29137b7059c33866e.jpgIMG20170814173836.thumb.jpg.91becbf7edbcb82b9ba643b47b24afc2.jpgIMG20170811160436.thumb.jpg.de8b6ec2fb951942cfb44cbbb9bbc363.jpgIMG20170811160944.thumb.jpg.c0f65f6831d95751edc742027553b643.jpg

Managed to get to a track day at Sandown, it was raining all day, hail hitting the windscreen at 200+ km/h isn't fun. Best thing that happened all day was this photo

21167350_1370021149781719_8042476462089556955_o.thumb.jpg.af0043db9194c415edee3650027dd54b.jpg

And more recently i had some bodywork done. Ive never been happy with the rear quarters, it had heaps of imperfections and blemishes where the over fenders where moulded in, was also some paint bubbles forming around the quarter windows so i had it all fixed and the rear quarters and doors repainted. Haven't got any proper pics yet but these will do for now.

cid_336.thumb.jpeg.87450df2828d733d15c45fe756c2beb3.jpeg

image.jpg.bbea9d64c52bb95a2d1b830128cf419a.jpg

Good ol DT panels. Mention quake champions for a discount :30_no_mouth:

20 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

Im surprised new Splitfires you need to regap to 0.7?

I would have thought that would handle much larger gaps easy

It turned out to be that for some reason i was hitting overboost and the ecu was going into protection mode and dumping fuel in. It was between sessions at sandown when i regapped the plugs and also reduced duty cycle on the boost control.  Didn't want to take any chances and ruin another session. I've been too lazy to increase the gaps again, next plug change i suppose. 

Yep, good old DT. Most panel shops wouldn't know what over fenders are and would be hesitant about repairing other peoples stuff ups, DT knew exactly what was going on just by glancing at the car and exactly what was needed to be done. My car had been painted by another shop around 10 years ago, the paint work was pretty good but the bodywork prep was not so good. Particularly around the rear quarters, you could see sanding marks through the paint and there was also some shrinking as well as the finish being a bit rough. There was a fair bit of work involved to get it all repaired, all the rear glass was removed and then they went to town digging out the filler which revealed that the over fenders were only riveted in but not glued. They managed to get some glue underneath them where possible and then refinished everything. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out and relieved that the paint matching is pretty spot on, that was my biggest worry as its not a standard Nissan colour and has got a fair bit of metallic sparkle in it. I just had a look at it before in sunlight and looks pretty damn good. 

6 minutes ago, admS15 said:

It turned out to be that for some reason i was hitting overboost and the ecu was going into protection mode and dumping fuel in. It was between sessions at sandown when i regapped the plugs and also reduced duty cycle on the boost control.  Didn't want to take any chances and ruin another session. I've been too lazy to increase the gaps again, next plug change i suppose. 

Yep, good old DT. Most panel shops wouldn't know what over fenders are and would be hesitant about repairing other peoples stuff ups, DT knew exactly what was going on just by glancing at the car and exactly what was needed to be done. My car had been painted by another shop around 10 years ago, the paint work was pretty good but the bodywork prep was not so good. Particularly around the rear quarters, you could see sanding marks through the paint and there was also some shrinking as well as the finish being a bit rough. There was a fair bit of work involved to get it all repaired, all the rear glass was removed and then they went to town digging out the filler which revealed that the over fenders were only riveted in but not glued. They managed to get some glue underneath them where possible and then refinished everything. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out and relieved that the paint matching is pretty spot on, that was my biggest worry as its not a standard Nissan colour and has got a fair bit of metallic sparkle in it. I just had a look at it before in sunlight and looks pretty damn good. 

Nice good to hear it turned out well!