SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

Another track day completed. This time at Winton with @ActionDan 's club. Was a good day out. Drove there and back 500km+ blitzed my old pb by 4.5 secs, happy days.

Ended up with a best of 1.37.75 unfortunately this wasn't registered on natsoft as it was the last lap of the day and the red light to signal end of session was on when i crossed the line. Red light came on with 2 corners to go. I knew i was on a pb lap so i kept going. 

Car ran good, no dramas to speak of, was pretty solid all day.

Some racechrono data 
Screenshot_2018-05-07-20-47-41-05.thumb.png.6b743fb511267802adcb6f491f6000c9.pngScreenshot_2018-05-07-20-47-52-39.thumb.png.60cc56a53ffa29a200d6a636e75eb338.pngScreenshot_2018-05-07-20-48-28-26.thumb.png.c0c0348a42f3fe0cef9f26e3c22891cd.png

Managed to get up to 195 km/h down the relatively short straight, that was in 4th gear reving its guts out, surprised it didn't hit the 7800rpm rev limit considering the 4.3 diff ratio which worked beautifully around the boob section and ensured i was at the right revs.

Screenshot_2018-05-07-20-49-52-18.thumb.png.46c9821606b6ed205a1bcacb3d43f419.png

Apparently, i finished 2nd in class which was good. That was with my natsoft recorded time of 1.38.62 First was 1.38.43 if my final lap had counted i could have been first, oh well, shit happens, lol. Ultimately, very happy to be in the 37's, the goal was a 39.9.

Video coming soon.

• Like 2

@Dose Pipe Sutututu This one is for you. Golf R with intake, exhaust and tune. 200 awkw, has brake upgrade, coilovers, some neg camber dialled in, track alignment and Nankang AR-1 tyres.

Golfs are gay and should be used to go to your local golf club, chopped brah. Skyline 4 eva. 

• Like 3

Oh yeah, on the way home, about 5 minutes from home actually i had a squirt with an A45 AMG, first rolling, A45 got left behind by a fair margin. Then he wanted to go at the lights (on a private road obviously), antilag engaged with the Ar-1 still on, the boat launched perfectly and left the A45 in it's wake. Skyline with antilag and r specs > A45 with launch control. Was a good way to cap off an already excellent day. 

• Like 5

Just watching the video. Looks like you have bags of under steer.
Yes, certainly do. Set up needs a lot of work. Weirdly, its pretty good at other tracks but at Winton it shows up.

12 hours ago, admS15 said:

@Dose Pipe Sutututu This one is for you. Golf R with intake, exhaust and tune. 200 awkw, has brake upgrade, coilovers, some neg camber dialled in, track alignment and Nankang AR-1 tyres.

Golfs are gay and should be used to go to your local golf club, chopped brah. Skyline 4 eva. 

LOL your car has like 15~20k worth of mods!

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:
LOL your car has like 15~20k worth of mods!

To be honest, the car owes me less than 20k total, i bought the car for 10k to start with. Most of the parts used to buid it where 2nd hand, other than the turbo $850, injectors $800, dump pipe $170 and wide band $270. Everything else was cheap cheap ebay, gumtree, sau specials. I can list everything if you really want.

Thought id post that vid with the golf up since you've said on many occasions that a lightly modded golf r would chop a modded boat. Winton suits the golf better than the boat too, its not really a horsepower critical track, although horsepower allowed me too walk away down the straight.

Theres definitely a couple more seconds to be had at Winton, need to properly sort and set the suspension, height adjustment, corner weight etc.

hahaha damn, I've seriously done something wrong then :(

Can't even get under 1m8s at Wakefield Park where a Golf R can do the same time... new setup should be ready for July battles, I hope that changes my mind.

Try softening up your front ARB to reduce understeer?

hahaha damn, I've seriously done something wrong then [emoji20]
Can't even get under 1m8s at Wakefield Park where a Golf R can do the same time... new setup should be ready for July battles, I hope that changes my mind.
1 min 8 is no slouch. Interested to see the new setup go. Should blow golfs out of the water and scare many hondas, lol.

As far as ARB's, it could help but the car is sitting so high it still rolls a fair bit. More camber will help but street car brah.

I think its about time i cough up some dollars and take it to a professional to set up properly and advise a course of action. It does handle quite well at Sandown and ok at PI but Winton shows its inadequacies.

1 hour ago, admS15 said:

1 min 8 is no slouch. Interested to see the new setup go. Should blow golfs out of the water and scare many hondas, lol.

As far as ARB's, it could help but the car is sitting so high it still rolls a fair bit. More camber will help but street car brah.

I think its about time i cough up some dollars and take it to a professional to set up properly and advise a course of action. It does handle quite well at Sandown and ok at PI but Winton shows its inadequacies.

perhaps make a splitter Bill, that would help so there's no need to reduce the ARB hardness

• Like 1

perhaps make a splitter Bill, that would help so there's no need to reduce the ARB hardness
That would definitely help and is on the cards as well as the other stuff. Just got to work out if i do it with the current bar or use a stock spare one i got.

The only thing that bothers me about all this is the list of things that are getting removed and refitted for track days is growing.

First it was just wheels and tyres, then boot lid and wing, roll cage cross brace, rear seats etc. Now we're talking about splitter and possibly front bar. Things we do to go fast... Lol
  • Like 1

hahaha damn, I've seriously done something wrong then [emoji20]

The question is, what generation of Golf R that you can’t keep up with?

The answer to that for me is none that I've come across yet. 

The 33 has beaten a few 7's with apr kits at Sandown as well as some Audi's and A45's.

Yes, surely there is some quicker vw's, Audi's, mercs out there but same with skylines.

The point is, you still need to throw a decent amount of $ at them to go quick and they're not insanely quick out of the box, although much quicker than a bog stock skyline and much easier to live with as a daily.

1 hour ago, Count Grantleyish said:

MK7, they're fast man!

Going to upgrade the missus car to that when we get back from our trip! Will probably take the daily to the track more than the boat LOL

The answer to that for me is none that I've come across yet. The 33 has beaten a few 7's with apr kits at Sandown as well as some Audi's and A45's.

Yes, surely there is some quicker vw's, Audi's, mercs out there but same with skylines.

The point is, you still need to throw a decent amount of $ at them to go quick and they're not insanely quick out of the box, although much quicker than a bog stock skyline and much easier to live with as a daily.

Yep, these euros are dear as poison to go fast.

MK7’s are pretty capable for what they are considering how held back they are from the factory although same can be said for all cars.

Also it’s down to how brave the driver is.

Yep, these euros are dear as poison to go fast.

MK7’s are pretty capable for what they are considering how held back they are from the factory although same can be said for all cars.

Also it’s down to how brave the driver is.
Agreed on all points.
  • Like 1