SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

Talk to a good tuner and see what he says about afr gauges...

I've heard and seen nothing but crap from them, they are not even close to the same readings on a dyno unless you get a very high end unit from haltech for example...

The $260 odd dollar ones are not accurate and I've seen a few cars go bang because of this, owners believing the gauge over the dyno.

Josh

The key is the sensor you get a shit sensor you get a shit reading simple as. Other then that its all 'makeup' to make it look like a 10.

I don't know what you guys are on about. The AFR gauge was verified as accurate while on the dyno. The remark made by the tuner was it is 'spot on'. The innovate uses a Bosch wb sensor as a lot of these gauges do. The key is to follow the calibration and install instructions. It is also the gauge recommended by adaptronic to be used in conjunction with their ecu. If you want to spend unnecessary $ on a marked up haltech unit for your $5000 r33 gtst then be my guest.

• Like 2

In other news, I dropped the rear suspension about 35mm on the 33. Its now sitting slightly lower than the front. I decided on leaving the front as it was for the sake of the front bar, wouldn't want to break that beautiful carbon fibre. I haven't had a chance to take pics yet but I will post as soon as I do.

Looks fine but maybe raise it 5-10mm if you're worried although you've probably got a little bit more front bar clearance with how it sits now.

You're right. It does have more front bar clearance now. Today was the first time it didn't scrape at all coming out of my work driveway. Might drop the front a touch more and see if I can get away with it. I'd love to have the front the same as the back but that stupid driveway has other ideas

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a convenient way to be able to display ecu data similar to what a PFC hand controller does. I was about to buy a windows tablet and then I came across this app for adaptronic ECU's called adaptive tuner. Farken gold. Best thing is its 100% free. Can be connected via USB or with some mucking around and some hardware can be done wireless. I just went cable. Also can data log and can set alarms for things like air/water temp, AFR etc. Just got to find a spot to mount my 7 inch tab coz phone screen not big enough and I'm laughing:D

For anyone running an adaptronic, get on it.

post-139042-14480907684306_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14480908026646_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14480908226252_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Talk to a good tuner and see what he says about afr gauges...

I've heard and seen nothing but crap from them, they are not even close to the same readings on a dyno unless you get a very high end unit from haltech for example...

The $260 odd dollar ones are not accurate and I've seen a few cars go bang because of this, owners believing the gauge over the dyno.

Josh

because of user error, they need to be air calibrated every so often unless it's an AEM kit.

Also dyno readings are post cat, so they read a little leaner but not far off.

I usually tune with both AFR gauges, pre cat and also exhaust tip on the dyno. I prefer to use pre cat as it's more accurate, using a tail pipe sniffer has given me bullshit readings when cars run blast pipes as sometimes one pipe ends up sunking in air from a venturi effect.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing good has happened over the past couple of weeks. Had a couple of little issues to work through. Firstly, the valet switch for the boot decide to move itself and lock me out of the boot. Of course it had to happen with a full load in the boot :rant:. The boot lock has been deleted so this meant removing the rear seats and inspection hatch and trying to pull things out of the boot to make room to reach the stupid valet switch. I ended up using a long bbq spit skewer to flick the latch. I have now zip tied the switch so this can never happen again. While stuffing around at the back there I decided to try and align the boot lid better as it's always been uneven and not up to my standards. After much f*#king about I managed to get the result I was looking for and it is now sitting perfectly :yes:.

Second issue I had was with my ecu. I tried connecting my laptop to check some settings and no connection. I pulled the usb cable out from it and the usb port came with it. Great, snapped usb port, faaarkhhhh. I started attempting to solder it back on but came to the conclusion I was gonna do more harm than good, I took it to a local electronics shop that looked like a Palestinian bomb making facility lol and had it professionally re soldered. Took it back home plugged it in to the pc and no go again, shite. Contacted adaptronic and sent it in to them. They promptly diagnosed the fault as a burnt out led that wasn't allowing usb communication. The ecu was repaired and posted back out the same day they received it. Fantastic service and support from these guys, especially considering I bought the ecu second hand and it's four years old. They also changed the end covers of it as they where all banged up from jamming it into the footwell and to top it all off, no charge, not even postage. Wow.I wish all companies looked after their customers like this. It just seems that most companies in this day and age don't provide any real customer service or support and treat customers like fools. Adaptronic truly stands out from the crowd in this respect. Massive kudos and thanks to the guys at adaptronic.

• Like 1

Also on another note, my wife has reluctantly given me the go ahead to participate in track days again after she came to the realisation that she couldn't really stop me. Her own words, wow and I recently picked up some goodies at bargain prices. Just the way I like it. I now need to install all this crap and get the car ready for track work. Hopefully Sandown on 30th Jan will be shake down day for "The Skytanic" :smile:

post-139042-0-49407000-1449779643_thumb.png

Had a few of them kind of weeks lately, very frustrating when things seem to be working against you, tip of the cap to adaptronic, sounds like awesome service , cars looking mint :thumbsup:

Thanks. I hear you. It does suck but hang in there. Your on the home stretch now. I'm looking forward to see your results.
  • Like 1

May as well put an up to date mod list up,

1996 s2 R33 GTST

ENGINE

-stock internal rb25det

-Adaptronic select ecu

-Hypergear 21U highflow turbo

-Blitz LM return flow cooler

-Nismo 740cc injectors

-Npc organic clutch

-JJR dump/front pipe

-Nismo 3" cat back (quiet)

-Innovate MTXL wide band

-Walbro 255

Tuned by chequered on BP98, 248rwkw @18 psi

BODY

-Nismo 400R styled carbon fibre body kit with rear diffuser

-Carbon fibre boot lid

-Rear over fenders moulded in

-Front fibreglass fenders

-Open door respray in Lexus colour (Flint Mica)

-Safety 21 7 point bolt in cage

SUSPENSION/BRAKES

-Tein monoflex coilovers

-Tein EDFC in cabin controller

-Whiteline sway bars (to be installed soon)

-R34 front strut brace

-RDA dimple and slotted rotors (to be installed)

- QFM A1RM front pads QFM HPX rear pads (to be installed)

- Brembo lcf brake fluid (to be installed)

WHEELS/TYRES

-Rays Volk winning f-zero 18 x 9 +22 all round

-Achilles 123S 265/35/18 all round

INTERIOR

-Nismo cluster

-harness eye bolts

-(On the look out for a seat)

Second issue I had was with my ecu. I tried connecting my laptop to check some settings and no connection. I pulled the usb cable out from it and the usb port came with it. Great, snapped usb port, faaarkhhhh. I started attempting to solder it back on but came to the conclusion I was gonna do more harm than good, I took it to a local electronics shop that looked like a Palestinian bomb making facility lol and had it professionally re soldered. Took it back home plugged it in to the pc and no go again, shite. Contacted adaptronic and sent it in to them. They promptly diagnosed the fault as a burnt out led that wasn't allowing usb communication. The ecu was repaired and posted back out the same day they received it. Fantastic service and support from these guys, especially considering I bought the ecu second hand and it's four years old. They also changed the end covers of it as they where all banged up from jamming it into the footwell and to top it all off, no charge, not even postage. Wow.I wish all companies looked after their customers like this. It just seems that most companies in this day and age don't provide any real customer service or support and treat customers like fools. Adaptronic truly stands out from the crowd in this respect. Massive kudos and thanks to the guys at adaptronic.

Andy and the team are amazing like that, he answers e-mails/smses at any weird hours of the day.

He even sent out firmware updates that weren't even released to fix a few bugs I had and like you also, I bought the ECU used. Goes to show good service goes a long way, so because of that I've installed another 2x Adaptronic into other cars.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of updates. The Mrs has allowed me to go to track days again, woot woot, but there was a condition. I have to install a roll cage. Not so bad. I sourced a safety 21, 7 point bolt in cage for very little $ and have thrown it in. I have it as a 4 point ATM and will add the cross bar between the two rear bars when I head out to the track. The front bars are dash dodger types and I probably won't run them. Still undecided.

Before anyone jumps in and tells me these cages aren't cams and fia approved. I am aware of that and as I don't intend on competing in any competitive racing that requires that standard it doesn't bother me. I'm just after something that will prevent the roof from caving in, in the event of a roll over. Knocks on wood.

A couple of pics

post-139042-14517374205081_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14517374538171_thumb.jpg

Now that the Mrs has given the green light, I have been slowly getting the car ready for track work. Next on the agenda is brakes. I recently bought a set of RDA dimple/slotted rotors and ar1m pads. I set about fitting the fronts today. Once there I measured the thickness of the existing factory Nissan discs and they both came in at 29.8mm. Plenty of meat, I made the decision to leave those on and just fit the a1rm's. Didn't take any pics as I had the Mrs on my back and didn't want to waste any time. Every one loves pics so I'll just add one with the wheel back on. On another note, my car was still fitted with factory Nissan pads. Wtf

Front brakes done, that leaves the rears and fluid for next time

post-139042-14517382450412_thumb.jpg

Moving on. Cooling is up next. I recently purchased an oil cooler kit with filter relocation. Its a cheapie vulture Motorsport China racing special. This is the first Chinese parts going on this car. The quality looked reasonable for the $200 outlay and there are many people running these kits successfully so I rolled with it. Pics of finished product. Only problem with it is it has ruined my stealth engine bay:(

post-139042-14517387091404_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14517387486267_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14517387648578_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14517388123311_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14517388498347_thumb.jpg