SAU Community

Sau Members Based In Japan

nakameguro

Slightly off-topic here, but how hard was it to secure jobs in Japan? I'm MEGA keen, and I have a good job in IT Security already.

Be keen to hear your guys thoughts. If I had the choice, I'd sell my 32 and move to Japan in a heartbeat.

Don't sell it. Ship it back here. (seriously, with these prices..)

I would say its more of an visa issue than job issue. Kind of an egg and hen thing and a good sprinkle of luck to boot.

Finding a job here while living in another country is very challenging. Living here and finding a job in the IT sector might not be, but then again, you cannot really live here if you don't have a job.

If you want to make it your goal, study, practice and learn the language, be prepared to think moving here in a time frame of several years and actively make contacts as much as you can (both professional and personal).

But I do also want to add that this is far from the dreamland many (me included) imagine and there are a lot of hurdles and embarrassments on your way. (and of course a lot of good things, both, as in every country).

I suppose the "easy" and comfortable way would be something like wiggling yourself working for a company that has an office here and work your way from there.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 9:23 AM, Predator1 said:

Slightly off-topic here, but how hard was it to secure jobs in Japan? I'm MEGA keen, and I have a good job in IT Security already.

Be keen to hear your guys thoughts. If I had the choice, I'd sell my 32 and move to Japan in a heartbeat.

On 7/1/2021 at 9:32 PM, tsuokun said:

Don't sell it. Ship it back here. (seriously, with these prices..)

I would say its more of an visa issue than job issue. Kind of an egg and hen thing and a good sprinkle of luck to boot.

Finding a job here while living in another country is very challenging. Living here and finding a job in the IT sector might not be, but then again, you cannot really live here if you don't have a job.

If you want to make it your goal, study, practice and learn the language, be prepared to think moving here in a time frame of several years and actively make contacts as much as you can (both professional and personal).

But I do also want to add that this is far from the dreamland many (me included) imagine and there are a lot of hurdles and embarrassments on your way. (and of course a lot of good things, both, as in every country).

I suppose the "easy" and comfortable way would be something like wiggling yourself working for a company that has an office here and work your way from there.

Plus one to basically everything that Tsuokun said. 

In my case I was going to move to Japan regardless but lucked-out a few months before I was about to wing-it and got a job as a Project Manager for an engineering co. The job market here is biased against you, myself and any other foreigner. But heck, give it a shot, I lucked-out with a friendly job so there's no reason you can't either. There are horror stories though, and a lot of them.

Send the car back to Japan - agreed.

You could opt for getting a working holiday visa and then 'upgrading' to a normal work permit after a while. That's a fairly common route. 

- I'm in Nagoya

Edited by GoHashiriya

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 1:43 PM, Predator1 said:

How do you go abouts obtaining a working holiday visa??

It really depends on where you're from. Most EU countries have a partnership with Japan so you can get the WHV from the local embassy, it's a fairly easy application, you must be no older than 30 though. I'm from the UK but I know Spain and France can also get it, fairly sure Canada and Aus can also get it. For the US I'm unsure.

The other route is to apply for an english teaching job from overseas at one of the pig sh*t ALT co's, pay will be crap - about 200-250k yen - but it will net you a work permit for 1 or 3 years - this is what I have now and can be used to work in other industries. I have a friend that did this, got the visa, came to Japan, quit the ALT job after one or two months after finding a better - although not amazing - english teaching job at an international school.

Edited by GoHashiriya

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 12:15 AM, king_kw13 said:

Hey guys - looong haitus from SAU since I sold my S2 R33 GTST in Oz and moved to Tokyo 2 years ago. No car, but I am looking.

Anyone in Japan recommend a good auction broker for the USS Auctions? Would love to get into the car scene here. 

Tough one, I just use my mechanic, he's pretty helpful. His fee is 50k yen. I'm currently trying to source another car with him although not having much luck with my budget. I'm based in Nagoya so this probably isnt so helpful for you. DM me if you need more info.