SAU Community

Dash Cams

PranK

I have a cheap ebay dash cam. Cost $40, and another $25 for a 32gb card. Does the job, records in 720, and will probably do if anything bad ever happens. Just be sure to hard wire it in to keep the ciggy lighter socket for anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

Consumer (NZ) just tested HD dash cams. Prices ranged from $109 to $695 but none was considered good quality. It was not possible to read a number plate at more than 5 metres and less than that only if relative speeds of the cars were much the same.

Best of these was DOD LS460W ($250 - $300)

PS there are apparently some apps for your smart phone that wills do the job assuming you can get a suitable forward facing holder.

Brother has the Navman one for $130, does a decent job. I bought the model up for about $170 because the cheaper one wasn't available -Its got a few nicer features but nothing worth writing home about.

Haven't had any problems with either of them

I recently bought the kaiser baas r10+ on sale at super shit auto ATM for $98. 1080p records fairly decent picture quality. Considering all these cams are made in China or best case Korea, its hard to know what your getting. I think its a good idea to buy from a shop that u can return to, just in case. My 2c.

I have a cheap ebay dash cam. Cost $40, and another $25 for a 32gb card. Does the job, records in 720, and will probably do if anything bad ever happens. Just be sure to hard wire it in to keep the ciggy lighter socket for anything else.

Small update, the eBay cheapie appears to have died from this awful Adelaide heat...

Consumer (NZ) just tested HD dash cams. Prices ranged from $109 to $695 but none was considered good quality. It was not possible to read a number plate at more than 5 metres and less than that only if relative speeds of the cars were much the same.

Best of these was DOD LS460W ($250 - $300)

PS there are apparently some apps for your smart phone that wills do the job assuming you can get a suitable forward facing holder.

I had a close call yesterday where a motorcyclist cut in front of me without indicating and then had to emergency brake due to other cars ahead. I knew I couldn't stop in time so I swerved around the bike and missed it by only centimetres. It was oh so close. Bike rider deserved to be hit but that's another story.

When i got home and reviewed the footage on my PC I was able to make out the no. plates on the bike and of all the vehicles in my line of sight from the footage prior to and up to the point of the incident by pausing the footage frame by frame.

So although it is true that you can't clearly make out plates from more than 5 metres, there is a place for these cams and they can be very useful. On this occasion if I had hit the bike rider, the footage was clear enough to be used as evidence and would have clearly shown exactly what had happened and that I was cruising along minding my own business when some f#*kwit decided to just jump in front of me and get cleaned up.