SAU Community

Mitsubishi Evolution 6 Speed Gearbox

simonvangruber

Hello forum users,

I posted this on the General Automotive Section as well.

My current Evo 8 setup produces 260 awkw on a built 2L engine. My plan is to upgrade the turbo and the upgrade should produce around 370-380 awkw on E85.

My question is whether the standard 6 speed gearbox would be able to tolerate the above mentioned power level?

I have never launched the car and do not intend to in the future. Will the gearbox be able to cope with the power in normal everyday driving?

My preference is not to convert to a 5 speed or a dogbox.

Any advice would be appreciated.

So it's a 8MR?

I'm surprised it's held together as long as it has at that power level. It's definately a weak point once you move over from the stock turbo. It's why I'm gonna keep stock turbo in my 8MR, will be track day reliable (enough).

Anyway if you wanna keep the 6 speed, NEAT Gearboxes do a upgraded 6-speed box basically fixing the major flaws the 6 speed has, it's around 5k. So give them a call.

Or you could just put a 5 speed in and keep the 6 speed in the garage for when needed, that'd be a cheaper option

• 4 weeks later...

My mate makes 270kw on a 2.3L stroker with an FP Green and runs a twin plate clutch.

He is absolutely f**king ruthless with the thing. Does multiple limiter launches every single day and absolutely smashes gear changes unbelievably quickly. Has never changed gearbox oil and the car has about 100,000km on it (evo 9 btw). But seriously, he has zero mechanical sympathy for the thing and it has never had any issues (except for shitting a rear diff once)

Runs a variety of tyres from rubbish to AD08R's on it, so the driveline would be getting a huge workout. His gives me a lot of faith in the standard driveline. I think with 350kw, a nice friendly clutch and some sensible driving you should be fine.