SAU Community

Os88 Vs Hollinger Decision!

Buraz

Okay so after lots of research and with some mixed reviews I'm after some info on people's experience with the OS88. I'm helping a mate with this as he's stuck with the transmission. So he's building a big HP GTR, we're talking Nitto RB32 Stroker, CNC head with the works, dry sump, ProMod etc etc. Hoping for 8 sec passes one day.

Now he's always wanted a sequential box and is trying to stay away from auto like the popular TH400 etc even tho it's proving to be difficult to decide. From what we've found is that people who used it in England and on their forums it's a mixed bag of reviews some say it's shit, many have broken them etc. Some say they're the shit. Some say that Hollinger is better but Hollinger can't take too many hard launches but is more reliable and less maintenance. Also apparently OS88 is a pain in the street compared to the Hollinger and that it'll wear out quicker requiring attention.

As you all know none of these are cheap and even tho he's willing to spend on whatever is better but it's proving to be a hard decisions. With the cost of any of these it's important to make the right choice, which is why I'm asking for some help on here.

If anyone has personally used them as dailies and track warriors, could you please help us out and shed some light.

Having purchased and installed an OS88 last year, it really isn't that crazy out on the street.

I chose the 88 for a few reasons.

Helical cut gears. It's no noiser in gear than a stock box.

It bolts pretty much straight in (apart from a bees dick of tunnel massage)

From what I can gather, the Holinger is a lot more "crash and bangy" than the OS88.

Cost. It was quite a fair whack cheaper than the other options.

The PPG sequential I'm no sold on. Speaking to them for a fair amount of time while making the decision on my box, they said "we still use a stock housing... There is only so strong we can make it while being restricted here" . The OS88 for exmaple moves the shafts further out, making the gears larger.

I chose the R3C (triple plate solid centre) and it's absolutely fantastic to drive. I doubt it would hold the power that you're after. (Although the Tomei Yellow R34 drag car used an R3C so it can't be that shit)

• Like 1

Jap's were doing 8's back in late 90's in sequential boxes. dont know how long they lasted but I would go with the th400... just because I didn't do it and want to know how it would feel street driven daily.

Yeh Ppg he's not very keen on, not too much info on their sequential, basically it's still unproven.

Thank Paul that's exactly the type of response I was looking for. I'm a massive OS88 fan and that'd be my choice but then again I wouldn't be chasing these crazy numbers which is a different ball game. I'll pass on what you said.

Jap's were doing 8's back in late 90's in sequential boxes. dont know how long they lasted but I would go with the th400... just because I didn't do it and want to know how it would feel street driven daily.

Yeh I know that's the only issue, how long did they really last. Even a Hollinger will do 8's easy but won't take too many launches before issues.

I'm starting to think the TH400 is the way to go, apparently very easy to drive on the street too. Only thing tho. An auto GTR, I can't make peace with that and I respect that it works incredibly well but I couldn't do it. That's me personally, but he'll have to make a decisions

• Like 1

Talk with mercury motorsports how much abuse the OS88 took at over 1000hp. Unbelievable gearbox!!

Yep speak to Adam and Humzza at JEM they put one in a red 33 GTR I believe and Humzza had one in his car.

Give them a call and just say you're looking for advice/experience - Could even find them on Facebook if that helps

They were also doing them with H-Pattern boxes lol.

You've also got another choice - Samsonas. Quite a few WTAC cars this year were running them, I suspect they are part sponsoring a few cars to get the name out there - logical business sense.

So not sure how good or not good they are, certainly something to look into given local support etc.

Albins also have been doing good work and releasing various upgrades to lots of boxes lately, which is interesting.

Thanks guys we'll give Mercury and JEM a buzz and see what they say. We'll also contact Albins and see what they say. Who would have thought this was gonna be this hard lol.

Ash Samsona's is good but I don't think they've released a GTR version and from the sound of it they're good to about 800hp. But we'll suss them out also.

Having purchased and installed an OS88 last year, it really isn't that crazy out on the street.

I chose the 88 for a few reasons.

Helical cut gears. It's no noiser in gear than a stock box.

It bolts pretty much straight in (apart from a bees dick of tunnel massage)

From what I can gather, the Holinger is a lot more "crash and bangy" than the OS88.

Cost. It was quite a fair whack cheaper than the other options.

The PPG sequential I'm no sold on. Speaking to them for a fair amount of time while making the decision on my box, they said "we still use a stock housing... There is only so strong we can make it while being restricted here" . The OS88 for exmaple moves the shafts further out, making the gears larger.

I chose the R3C (triple plate solid centre) and it's absolutely fantastic to drive. I doubt it would hold the power that you're after. (Although the Tomei Yellow R34 drag car used an R3C so it can't be that shit)

I bought one with Paul for my 34, I have an R4C quad plate and I have both street driven and raced with the OS88 and am quite impressed with it, I was looking at the Albins after driving my brothers offroad race car with an Albins sequiential but they run a massive shifter assembly which can't be hidden for a street car, for a street car the OS88 wins due to its stealth but for a out an out race car the manualised TH400 would be my choice

• 6 months later...

I had a Hollinger it was great but there service was rubbish minimum of a 3 week wait for anything.I had no dramas but I didn't do a lot of work did some street driving maybe 20-30 passes at the track and I did a trackday

I have now upgraded to the albins  I'm extremely happy with the albins there service is amazing I had 1 issue and the part was flown up from Victoria and car was on the track  the next day. The gearbox has not missed a beat has been in my race car making 530kw atw and I have put it in my street car which has been up to 1044hp atw

but the down fall is the tunnel has to be modded literally a section cut out and fabbed new one to be installed

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
I have now upgraded to the albins  I'm extremely happy with the albins there service is amazing I had 1 issue and the part was flown up from Victoria and car was on the track  the next day. The gearbox has not missed a beat has been in my race car making 530kw atw and I have put it in my street car which has been up to 1044hp atw
but the down fall is the tunnel has to be modded literally a section cut out and fabbed new one to be installed

I'm hearing good things about Albins, but the trans tunnel mod sounds not cool... what model car are you running it in?

For those interested in an OS88, here is the oiling issue that needs to be rectified before you put it in the car. 

The little slot where the light is coming through is the breather for the box. There is no cover for it and the gear acts like a paddle wheel and pumps oil up the hole and through the hose. So a cover will be made to stop this.

The oil breather fitting also needs to be drilled and tapped. My fitting popped out once it got in the car. OS must use clag glue to secure the fitting... it doesn't last.

I am also changing the sensor that lives in the bell housing.

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

• Like 1

So the OS88 - are they all helical cut gears?  I love the noise of my dog gears - will I lose that with a OS88?

Where are OS88 made - japan?

Having issues replacing the reverse gears in my Quaiffe/Trust 6 speed sequential - so may have to look at a replacement.

Quaiffe have the reverse idler gear and cam selector operating arm - BUT - No selectors or reverse gears.  Will have to be made I'm told - and that could be many months away i'm told.

Quaiffe haven't been the quickest in responding / helping either.  

I'm shattered - I love this box - would love to fix it - but proving difficult it appears.

Been busted up over it for the last day ..... 

Edited by IMACUL8
  • Like 1